Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help.

Options
  • 03-04-2017 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭

I started a job 2 years ago. I manage the office, take in bookings, route drivers for deliveries, organise events, make sure vehicles are being looked after and a ton more things that would take too long to put in a post.

For the most part i enjoy the work even though it can get very intense at times as we deal with some very big clients who are very demanding.

I very rarely finish when i am supposed to finish and sometimes i end up working until 8 or 9 especially Thursdays and Fridays. I don't get paid for this extra work btw.

As we are running and planning events in the entertainment sector, most of the bookings take place from Thursday to Sunday. This means that complaints due to staff incompentency will come in over this period when i am off work. Being a small business, the owner would field these calls and any other calls that will come in on Saturday and Sunday. I will get some calls myself from the staff and more often than not the boss will call me as well moaning and giving out about the staff.

Now i know people will say why doesn't he hire new staff, and i have said this myself countless times. 99% of the issues that arise are due to staff not following instructions given to them by myself and i have took calls on my stag weekend, at cocm crow in the mornings and one guy attempeted to call me on my wedding day.

This has begun to seriously drag me down to a point where i don't want to go tonwork anymore.

Today has been a real eye opener as there were more issues over the weekend due to the staff and my boss had to take calls over the weekend. So he comes in this morning and says that even though it wasn't my fault, I'm probably going to have to work Saturdays.

I took on this job as a Monday to Friday 9-6 job and not to be working Saturdays. My wife works full time so we would only get to see eache other on Sundays. I feel like just getting in the car and heading home this morning and telling him to stick his job. I work very very hard and i am extremely(imo) goood at what i do.

I signed no contract when i started and i even feel that i would be letting everyone down even though i am being treated like sh1t working for minimum wage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

If you work for minimum wage,and don't get paid for all the extra hours,and on call time,then you're not on minimum wage,you're working below it.
    Time to have a serious chat with your boss about wages commensurate with your tasks and level of responsibility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

It sounds like they are asking an awful lot of you. I wouldn't advise walking out today but I would say have a look at what else is available out there.

You deserve to walk into work in the morning and be happy. You obviously have a diverse skill set, there are a lot more jobs out there today than were there two years ago, have a look but don't do anything in the heat of the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

vandriver wrote: »
    If you work for minimum wage,and don't get paid for all the extra hours,and on call time,then you're not on minimum wage,you're working below it.
    Time to have a serious chat with your boss about wages commensurate with your tasks and level of responsibility.

I'll give it a shot but I've seen what happens when people whk have been here longer than i am ask for more money.
    gizmo81 wrote: »
    It sounds like they are asking an awful lot of you. I wouldn't advise walking out today but I would say have a look at what else is available out there.

You deserve to walk into work in the morning and be happy. You obviously have a diverse skill set, there are a lot more jobs out there today than were there two years ago, have a look but don't do anything in the heat of the moment.

I am looking for something new from today. I can't take it here any more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

You need to feel valued. Best of luck with the searching, I hope something turns up for you.

vandriver wrote: »
    Super-Rush wrote: »
    I'll give it a shot but I've seen what happens when people whk have been here longer than i am ask for more money.

I am looking for something new from today. I can't take it here any more.

You've nothing to lose so.

And as regards what has happened to other people, your boss would be nothing short of stupid to not consider your concerns before letting you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Look at it from your boss's point of view... there is no problem. You're getting everything down, you're working until 8pm or 9pm a couple of days a week and fielding calls at the weekend. Your boss must be delighted with you, then, when his/her weekend gets a little bit derailed, they decide that you're going to have to work harder. Sounds like your boss has this all sussed out. Staff changes that you want made are being ignored by your boss because you're dealing with them during the week which is taking pressure off him thus making things nice and easy for him... and now, to make his weekends easier, he's dictating that you need to work Saturdays.

What you're doing isn't working anymore, you need to change something. If you change nothing then nothing changes.

Sounds like you're not communicating properly with your boss. Tell your boss you need to meet with him to discuss work issues.

Make a list of what's going wrong in the job for you. Prioritise the list. Break it down into needs and wants. List out the things you need to change, these should be issues that must be dealt with and quickly. For instance, working late and at weekends should be completely knocked on the head unless you come to some agreement. Make another list of things you want to change - these won't be as important as the other list but still need to be auctioned. Agree action point and timeframes for each of the changes you want made.

If your boss and you don't see eye to eye on the changes that need to be made then you need to think what you want to happen, are you willing to leave the job over this? You're not getting what you deserve to get out of this job at the moment so unless you get to a position where you're happy then you'll need to reevaluate your employment.

At the end of the day a job is only a job and it should be adding to your life and enjoyment, not taking away from it.

Look at it from your boss's point of view... there is no problem. You're getting everything down, you're working until 8pm or 9pm a couple of days a week and fielding calls at the weekend. Your boss must be delighted with you, then, when his/her weekend gets a little bit derailed, they decide that you're going to have to work harder. Sounds like your boss has this all sussed out. Staff changes that you want made are being ignored by your boss because you're dealing with them during the week which is taking pressure off him thus making things nice and easy for him... and now, to make his weekends easier, he's dictating that you need to work Saturdays.

What you're doing isn't working anymore, you need to change something. If you change nothing then nothing changes.

Sounds like you're not communicating properly with your boss. Tell your boss you need to meet with him to discuss work issues.

Make a list of what's going wrong in the job for you. Prioritise the list. Break it down into needs and wants. List out the things you need to change, these should be issues that must be dealt with and quickly. For instance, working late and at weekends should be completely knocked on the head unless you come to some agreement. Make another list of things you want to change - these won't be as important as the other list but still need to be auctioned. Agree action point and timeframes for each of the changes you want made.

If your boss and you don't see eye to eye on the changes that need to be made then you need to think what you want to happen, are you willing to leave the job over this? You're not getting what you deserve to get out of this job at the moment so unless you get to a position where you're happy then you'll need to reevaluate your employment.

At the end of the day a job is only a job and it should be adding to your life and enjoyment, not taking away from it.

That is some fantastic advice.

Thank you for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Where some people fall down is, while being excellent at their job to the point of being indispensable, being incompetent at promoting/advancing themselves.

From what you wrote you're working silly hours at minimum wage at best. If you are the go-to person and solving problems for the owner he'll be willing to compensate you.

Some people think you should be paying them for allowing you to work in the ENTERTAINMENT industry. Bollix to that.

So yesterday i finally managed to speak to my boss about how i was feeling and what needed to change,and yes it took three months to actually get the time to do this.

After a 2 hour meeting yesterday and a further 3 hours this morning, we have come to the following arrangements.

No more out of hours calls, period.

Part time assistance for myself.

A structured workload all round.

4 days extra paid holidays.

€100 a week pay rise.

I suppose only time will tell as to whether he will implement these changes. The pay rise was immediate, but thats not going to be of any help to me if all the promises he has made won't be kept.

The business is getting busier and busier all the time and i don't see this slowing down any time soon, so he needs to stop talking and sort it. He knows i will walk if these promises are broken, so I've done all i feel that i can.

I'm a lot clearer in my head now and am looking forward to next week off to recharge because physically and mentally burnt out.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but things changed for about ten minutes and went back to the same crap.

One person was phoned for an interview to help me in the office and she had found a job, so no other calls were made.

I still the same unmanageable workload and unless I stay in all night, I never get to complete everything in a working day. This has led to me being told off for missing out on stuff simply because I had mountains of work to do.

So I'm waiting on my boss to arrive in this morning and I'm handing in my notice. I haven't had the time to apply for other jobs and at the weekends I am just to tired to even search for one.

I know I'm an idiot for quitting without having something lined up but I'm really in a bad place mentally due to this and I can't take it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Sorry to hear it has come to that Super-Rush but your mental and physical health is more important than a job. From the sounds of things you'll have gained lots of experience in this role that will help you find another (less hectic) job.
    Be prepared for your boss to offer all sorts for you to stay and to make some promises about things changing...you are doing the work of several people by the sounds of things so he's going to be up the creek without a paddle if you leave. He'll possibly say or do whatever he has to to change your mind.

miamee wrote: »
    Sorry to hear it has come to that Super-Rush but your mental and physical health is more important than a job. From the sounds of things you'll have gained lots of experience in this role that will help you find another (less hectic) job.
    Be prepared for your boss to offer all sorts for you to stay and to make some promises about things changing...you are doing the work of several people by the sounds of things so he's going to be up the creek without a paddle if you leave. He'll possibly say or do whatever he has to to change your mind.

To be honest I think he's going to flip out and tell me to get out because he will be stuck.

It feels wrong to do this without a job line up and I'm even secknd guessing myself.

My wife is behind me 100% and has told me numerous times to leave in the past but I know other people won't think the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

To be honest I think he's going to flip out and tell me to get out because he will be stuck.

It feels wrong to do this without a job line up and I'm even secknd guessing myself.

My wife is behind me 100% and has told me numerous times to leave in the past but I know other people won't think the same.
    Doesn't matter what other people think - you are the one in the situation. No job is worth the stress!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Given that you've been at this for over a year now, I'd take a week or two off completely (if you can afford it) and then get stuck into job searching. We all have it drilled into us not to leave one job unless you've another one lined up and generally I'd agree with that but you are exhausted and have no time to job search with this current job - so you're either stuck there or you leave and look for something else.

If he talks you into staying a while, book a week off and plan to job search then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Squatman

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but things changed for about ten minutes and went back to the same crap.

One person was phoned for an interview to help me in the office and she had found a job, so no other calls were made.

I still the same unmanageable workload and unless I stay in all night, I never get to complete everything in a working day. This has led to me being told off for missing out on stuff simply because I had mountains of work to do.

So I'm waiting on my boss to arrive in this morning and I'm handing in my notice. I haven't had the time to apply for other jobs and at the weekends I am just to tired to even search for one.

I know I'm an idiot for quitting without having something lined up but I'm really in a bad place mentally due to this and I can't take it anymore.

well done. this is a ballsy decision, but ultimately the right one. I've never heard of someone leaving a ****ty job and regretting it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Squatman

structure your conversation in a way that will prompt him to sack you so. theres more money in that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Good for you. You will get a job. It is great your wife is supportive. If he tells you to get out then he would be an awful fool but some people simply cannot run a business properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Hey bro.

I think you're doing the right thing too. Your mental health is worth a hell of a lot more than that job. I know the effect that place has had on you, its definitely not worth it.

Hand in your notice, be as civil as you can. If he runs you, can it be considered you being fired? Constructive dismissal? If things end on a bad note, keep in mind he legally can't withold your P45 from you for longer than a month. You'll need this for a new job, claiming benefits from Social Welfare etc. If he tries to withold it, call Revenue and let them know. They'll come down on him about it.

You know where I am if you want to talk - anytime

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I quit a job I loathed with nothing else lined up a few years ago (in the middle of the recession, in fact) and the only regret I ever had about it was that I didn't do it two years sooner.

You've done the right thing, believe me. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

I've been thru this - the best advise i can give (and have done so myself) is to not hand in your notice today - instead go to the doctor to get signed off for stress leave. This way you will still get paid and you will have the time to search for a job while you're out.
    Best of luck x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Super-Rush
    I don't normally post here but I just read the thread and I think you've done the right thing too. Reason I'm replying is that I know of a position that might suit you. I don't know how to PM you so if you can PM me, I can send details.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Super-Rush wrote:
    Super-Rush wrote:

These aren't true. It's as if people say you'll never get another job in your life after.
    Super-Rush wrote:

I quit a job with nothing lined up. Because I had the support of my wife, it wasn't a problem and I had a nice relaxing time off followed by a new job with a large pay increase and better working conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

It sounds like you have been through the mill in this job.
    Usually if you quit your job you cant claim any social welfare for 13 weeks (IRRC) Get yourself to the dole office straight away & tell them your reasons for leaving your job, explain that it is causing you mental health issues. Depending on who you are dealing with they may just decide to pay you effective immediately or they may ask can you get your doctor to sign off on it, then back date payment to your leaving date.
    By the sounds of things you shouldn't have a problem doing this.
    Getting a welfare payment will help take some of the stress off job hunting.

Good luck.

Done.

He heard me out and apologised.

I've been fair to him by not finishing until the end of May so he can get someone trained and I can look for somewhere in the mean time but as of May 26th I am out.

Jesus the relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

That's the small business mentality kicking in - you owe him nor his company a thing going by your posts. You've given 110% and it's time to move on - I'd gather he'll expect your notice tbh.

Look at the advantage to not working while job searching. Full time being able to job search and will be able to start at a day or twos notice rather than 4 weeks. Win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Done.

He heard me out and apologised.

I've been fair to him by not finishing until the end of May so he can get someone trained and I can look for somewhere in the mean time but as of May 26th I am out.

Jesus the relief.

That's a lot of notice. More that he deserves really...

For the next two months I'd advise you to walk out each evening at 6pm & leave your phone on the office drawer, even if it means getting a second phone or sim card. Just keep reminding yourself it's not your problem anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Fair play OP. It was big of you to give him until the end of May. More than he deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

That's a lot of notice. More that he deserves really...

For the next two months I'd advise you to walk out each evening at 6pm & leave your phone on the office drawer, even if it means getting a second phone or sim card. Just keep reminding yourself it's not your problem anymore.

Easier option - block the numbers on your personal mobile number.

The reason I said the end of May is that it gives me time to look for something new and I can save a hit of money as well. I'll also have help in the office until then so it will reduce the workload for that period.

Come hell or high water I'll be gone then and can hold my head high.

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Hey bro.

I think you're doing the right thing too. Your mental health is worth a hell of a lot more than that job. I know the effect that place has had on you, its definitely not worth it.

Hand in your notice, be as civil as you can. If he runs you, can it be considered you being fired? Constructive dismissal? If things end on a bad note, keep in mind he legally can't withold your P45 from you for longer than a month. You'll need this for a new job, claiming benefits from Social Welfare etc. If he tries to withold it, call Revenue and let them know. They'll come down on him about it.

You know where I am if you want to talk - anytime

Cheers for that. I know I could have called you any time about this but I just got so bogged down with it all.

Advertisement