Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Done.

He heard me out and apologised.

I've been fair to him by not finishing until the end of May so he can get someone trained and I can look for somewhere in the mean time but as of May 26th I am out.

Jesus the relief.

I've been following this thread as I had a similar job, and was in a similar position, and I left. I didn't even make it to the end of the notice period, as I was about to keel over from stress. I heard everyone out with the 'but you'll find it easier to get a job if you have a job' and 'It'll look bad on your cv!' but once I was out, it was a LOT easier to search for something else, no worrying over time off for interviews, just nice and relaxed job search. I got another job and loved it, stayed there 7 years.

Better things around the corner, awful as the job might have been, you've picked up a wealth of experience which will benefit you anywhere else but there. Just don't be swayed by any promises of pay increases or assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,511 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

You did the right thing. No job is worth that stress.

Best of luck looking for a new job.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

It's not always an easy decision to make, but well done Super. Your health is the most important thing you have.

I remember a previous position that had such a negative effect on my mental health, I had no choice but to return to the care of a Psychiatrist and seek treatment for Bipolar 2 disorder and severe anxiety. I became so jumpy and anxious, the stress would make me physically throw up. It came to ahead when I began coughing up blood.

Needless to say, (despite my personally strong work ethic, if I love my job and as long as I'm not being taken advantage of I will bend over backwards, also having put in extra hours as I take pride in my work) my performance slipped significantly and I was let go. To air one grievence, I was put on a performance improvement plan without being informed verbally or in writing. It was only brought to my attention in a 2nd meeting with my manager, as he needed a second manager with him.

So I'll stop ranting, but your mental health is something that can take quite a long time to recover if it has been significantly effected by stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Good on you, frankly the notice is more than generous. Was in a similar situation, reached a breaking point and went and found another job. Am on better money now and less stupid demands on my time.

Your mental health comes first, you cant function without it. Good luck with the new job hunt as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Should have a business phone and a personal phone, leave the business phone on the desk on Friday when you leave.
    Give no one your personal number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

You are leaving "soon", not getting extra pay, so leave work at your expected time, find something, anything to do in the evenings that you must get to. Even a walk from your house at an alloted time every evening regardless of weather. You owe them nothing and will get no thanks running yourself into the ground. What's the worst that can happen ? Fire you ? Don't worry about reference nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 southernsmile

It sounds like there is very little employee buy-in, meaning that they either do not fully understand or do not care about the services you are providing.  When this happens, it is very difficult to run a successful company.  Do you or your supervisors hold training sessions and/or informative meetings?  Staff education and communication is crucial and if they do not know the purpose of their tasks then they start to devalue it.  This is clearly not your fault and it sounds like you are doing everything right but that the staff is really dropping the ball.  Your boss needs to step it up create a work environment and has effective communication and education of the company purpose.  It sounds like he is pushing everything off on you because you are good at your job.  This happens often in the workplace and this is where you need to be assertive.  Instead of using the same ineffective method to correct the problem (working more in the exact same way), the boss needs to find the root of the problem (e.g. ineffective communication, lack of employee buy-in) and address that.  Good luck!

Advertisement