Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Bay CC Sportive Saturday 8th April

Options
  • 03-04-2017 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭

Anyone else considering this? Seems like a bloody bargain at 15 quid! And they're roads that I've been promising to cycle for years now.

http://www.donegalbaycyclingclub.com/leisure/

Bit of a hike up there and back in the car, the plan is to head down that morning and back in the evening to minimise domestic disruptions, but sure you'd put in the early mornings and travel miles for a foreign event and the Donegal scenery (if not the weather) should be Alp-rivaling. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

That's a bargain alright it's stunning countryside.

I took a spin out from Killybegs to Silverstrand beach the scenery is incredible and silverstrand beach is a great spot slightly sheltered from the usual battering Donegal gets.

I'd say there's be more craic had on a MTB but definitely worth the trip. A long enough spin if you're planning a day trip though.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

I'm doing it. Really looking forward to it. Forecast is promising. But let's not get too excited yet.

Spectacular countryside. Don't have the miles in my legs really. But I'll suffer the 140km if it's nice day.
    fat bloke wrote: »
    Anyone else considering this? Seems like a bloody bargain at 15 quid! And they're roads that I've been promising to cycle for years now.

http://www.donegalbaycyclingclub.com/leisure/

Bit of a hike up there and back in the car, the plan is to head down that morning and back in the evening to minimise domestic disruptions, but sure you'd put in the early mornings and travel miles for a foreign event and the Donegal scenery (if not the weather) should be Alp-rivaling. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

I am doing it.never been up that side of the country,forewent srac to do this.15 bucks T-shirt and schpudz.
    What's not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Look forward to seeing you ( I'm one of the organisers )
    I'll be the one stressed out all week.

15 euro plus 5 euro if your not a cycling ireland member

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Look forward to seeing you ( I'm one of the organisers )

Good man. Looks like there'll be 2 of us in IRC gear for the day.

• Advertisement

Good man. Looks like there'll be 2 of us in IRC gear for the day.

Great don't forget to pack climbing legs :D:D

Great don't forget to pack climbing legs :D:D

I'm nearly more worried about my clutch leg for the drive home. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm nearly more worried about my clutch leg for the drive home. :)
    Interesting that you say that - sometimes when I have a long drive home after a lumpy sportive, my right leg goes into a mild spasm and is particularly noticeable when I have to brake.

What you need is knee length compression socks for the drive home
    I find i get calf cramps on the way home if I'm driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What you need is knee length compression socks for the drive home
    I find i get calf cramps on the way home if I'm driving.

3 or 4 beers should settle that before the drive home :pac:

• Advertisement

A couple of years ago I did the Stephen Roche Tour de Cure down south and over the Vee. Rode hard to the finish and then shoe-horned myself and the bike into a little 2 seater mx5 and drove home to Dublin immediately without a warm-down or anything. -Cripes, I wasn't the same for a long time after it. Twas almost a rigour mortis when I arrived home :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Redfence74

Looking forward to it myself...not a fast cyclist or anything but I heard it's tough....I like tough...tears and snots

Redfence74 wrote: »
    Looking forward to it myself...not a fast cyclist or anything but I heard it's tough....I like tough...tears and snots
    There are no long climbs on it but plenty of short sharp ones (i.e. 15%+) with equally short sharp descents. As far as I remember, the Bluestacks one near the end is the only longish one but more of a long drag with a descent on a dodgy surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Foxmoves

There are no long climbs on it but plenty of short sharp ones (i.e. 15%+) with equally short sharp descents. As far as I remember, the Bluestacks one near the end is the only longish one but more of a long drag with a descent on a dodgy surface.

There is a tasty wee climb in the first 10km that all the routes go up. Good way to open up the lungs.
    Lovely scenery around the shoreline before then though.

After killybegs, you will turn off left down a narrower road and some lovely scenery off down to the left but two nice climbs in there too....

Glengesh is the "easier" way up.

I think that road off the mountain at the end of the 140km is a tiny bit better surface now.

Enjoy

ah yes but after complaining last year the council resurfaced that section over the winter :D
    up here its different ;)

stilll a bit of gravel but much better

ed

Looking forward to it now.

Google maps tells me to go Navan/Cavan road from Dublin for the shortest route. -Anyone who drives it regularly care to differ?

Google maps tells me to go Navan/Cavan road from Dublin for the shortest route. -Anyone who drives it regularly care to differ?

nope as long as your coming form north dublin.

nope as long as your coming form north dublin.

Knocklyon, but straight onto M50 like.

While I have you there :) we'll be cutting it fine enough in the morning so is there parking and all that provided or signed?

Google maps tells me to go Navan/Cavan road from Dublin ...
    Yup - on to Enniskillen and along the edge of Lough Erne to Beleek IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Foxmoves

Yup - on to Enniskillen and along the edge of Lough Erne to Beleek IIRC

Quickest is cavan, derrylin, enniskillen, kesh, and then over the pettigo mountain but the road is bad from pettigo to laghey.

Beleek road is a better road but a tiny bit longer.

Should be parking up at the school, or close by. School on the road into town from the dublin / beleek / balkyshannon road, on the right hand side just on edge of town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Bedtime in Omagh, up from loughrea ,seven springs cc. C u all in the morning don't forget the factor 30.

FFS. I'd be gone 20 mins ago if I was travelling alone! Grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Ah I hate hotels and ****ty sleeps but I'm up now and it's dry which is enough to put a smile on my face.

Looking forward now to this as the route is different from the past 2 versions I done.

Made it! Woo hoo. Looks like it's gonna be an absolute cracker of a day!

Hope you enjoyed that everyone just waiting for the last few.
    Thanks for coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'd say there are more than a few sunburnt bodies driving home this evening. I didn't make it u myself but definitely an area worth travelling to. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Just wanted to say well done to Donegal Bay CC on putting on another fantastic edition of their Sportive, absolutely top notch again, tho those routes don't get any easier.

When you think this is a local club run event compared to the big corporate backed Sportives, it really is amazing the all round quality you get for €15. Fantastic organisation, routes, signage, marshals, food stops and that guy at the end to welcome you home. Superb.

Home, hosed, showered, pasta'd and coffee'd. What an epic day. I'll be telling my grandchildren about the day the sun shone all day around Donegal in April :)

Apart from the fcuker who routed us over the Sally and Wicklow gap equivalents over the last 20k, I can only crow about the fantastic organisation.

And for 15 euro. Mother of God it does make you question the prices demanded by other events and how it's justified.

Hard spin though. Hard route. And lots of strong lads eager to push on. But spectacular or any other adjective doesn't adequately cover the landscape. I had to continually remind myself to wrench my eyes from the wheel in front and admire the scenery and was glad I did.

There's no doubt but it's the template by which all sportives should be run.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Redfence74

I would like to agree with the all the above....great day...tough cycle which is what we like...very well organised..a credit to the club...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭PhillySteak9

A great day. Tough going but the weather was unbelievable. Thanks to everyone from the organisers who made it so enjoyable. Brilliant organisation.
    Special mention to the repair guy who helped me fix two punctures in the first 25km!

Advertisement