Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Polytunnel: any good?

Options
  • 03-04-2017 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Can't erect a full-size Polytunnel as it will block neighbour's view of the sea. Also, I live in a area beside the Atlantic and we get regular storms, and there is very little shelter (new site), so the chances of it being shredded are high.

Anyone have experience of Mini Polytunnels - the sort you build yourself -around 3 feet tall, made of plumber's plastic piping, lengths of wood and plastic sheeting, and attached to raised bed by hinges? My vegetable-plot has good netting around it that would offer some protection.

I know they wouldn't be as good as a full-size one, but are they worth the bother, i.e. would they raise the temperature of raised bed much?

Thanks.

Comments

Bricriu wrote: »
    Can't erect a full-size Polytunnel as it will block neighbour's view of the sea. Also, I live in a area beside the Atlantic and we get regular storms, and there is very little shelter (new site), so the chances of it being shredded are high.

Anyone have experience of Mini Polytunnels - the sort you build yourself -around 3 feet tall, made of plumber's plastic piping, lengths of wood and plastic sheeting, and attached to raised bed by hinges? My vegetable-plot has good netting around it that would offer some protection.

I know they wouldn't be as good as a full-size one, but are they worth the bother, i.e. would they raise the temperature of raised bed much?

Thanks.

At 3 feet high it sounds more like a large poly coleframe rather than a small poly tunnel. Though the hinge design sounds like a good idea.

I've no experience of the mini polytunnels myself but as with anything like this I'd suggest you get the biggest your budget and space will allow for.

Whats the highest you could have without affecting your neighbours view?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 M.Lynch

Hi

My dad was looking to create his own polytunnel also, it seems to be about 6-8 foot tall. Has had it about a year now, but obviously a lot larger than yours. He created it out of tube fittings and then covered it himself.

http://simplifiedbuilding.ie/store/fittings/kee-klamp-tube-clamps.html

I suppose the question is how you fix it down, probably bedding in concrete if it is really windy where you are.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Bricriu wrote: »

Thanks.

Has your neighbour told you this? AFAIK having a view is not a right, you don't have to take someone else's view into consideration (nor does the council) when building or applying for planning. Of course, you might not want to fall out with your neighbour, which is understandable. Could you orient a polytunnel so that it blocks less of their view, but you still have the benefit of a tunnel?

My dads full size polytunnel is about 8 feet high. Could you find out what height you could install anything at that the neighbour would be ok with. Then build a regular size tunnel but shrunken in the ground.

Advertisement