Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED Spots MR16 220v

Options
  • 03-04-2017 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have ordered quite a few of these and when i go to connect them in the kitchen they won't work. They are 220v but the spots currently connected are showing 12v. Excuse my ignorance as i am not savvy electric wise.
    I believe the spots already connected are via a transformer but i cannot be sure.
    Is there a way i can get the 220v working as if not i am left with over 20 of the bleeding things and they were quite expensive when all added up.
    Thanks
    LC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi you'll need a REC for this, but but basically they will just remove the traffos and replace them with GU10 220Vac connectors. I assume they are GU10 lamps
    It's not a big job but 20 would take time . Wholesalers sell the GU10 connectors so they get the gear at a good price small money

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Stoner wrote: »
    Hi you'll need a REC for this, but but basically they will just remove the traffos and replace them with GU10 220Vac connectors. I assume they are GU10 lamps
    It's not a big job but 20 would take time . Wholesalers sell the GU10 connectors so they get the gear at a good price small money
    Hi, 
    Thanks for the response. They are actually MR16 spots. The one's with the two pins. I have four set in my kitchen and another four in the living room. The problem i have is that the spots already set are 12v but the LED spots which i ordered are all 220v. When i swap them out nothing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi, Thanks for the response. They are actually MR16 spots. The one's with the two pins. I have four set in my kitchen and another four in the living room. The problem i have is that the spots already set are 12v but the LED spots which i ordered are all 220v. When i swap them out nothing happens.

I'd no idea you could get mr16 220V lamps. The GU10 lamps have two pins too, do you know them. It's explained with pictures on the LED lighting sticky

Hi, Thanks for the response. They are actually MR16 spots. The one's with the two pins. I have four set in my kitchen and another four in the living room. The problem i have is that the spots already set are 12v but the LED spots which i ordered are all 220v. When i swap them out nothing happens.

I'd no idea you could get mr16 220V lamps. The GU10 lamps have two pins too, do you know them. It's explained with pictures on the LED lighting sticky
    GU10 on the right and MR16 in the middle.

https://ibb.co/hdL90a

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Before bypassing the transformer you would need to be sure the fittings are suitable for mains (230V).

Another issue would be earthing requirements. (Not an issue at 12V)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I didn't think you could get them either

http://www.wiselite.com/en/fqas/details_100.html
    Yes, we can find MR16 LED lamps in the market work with such as 220V to 240V BUT please dont use it if safety is your concern... Commonly found right and safe-to-use MR16 lamps either is LED or halogen are work with 12V (AC and/or DC). This is due to the pins design, creepage and clearance are not means for voltage more than 50V. Please choose GU10 or JDR(E27 lamp base) lamps type if you want to use direct high voltage.

I know it's just one site and I couldn't find anything more to confirm or contradict it, but if a fitting was originally designed (with regards to insulation etc.) for 12V it's probably not a good idea to put mains on it.

I didn't think you could get them either

http://www.wiselite.com/en/fqas/details_100.html
    Yes, we can find MR16 LED lamps in the market work with such as 220V to 240V BUT please dont use it if safety is your concern...  Commonly found right and safe-to-use MR16 lamps either is LED or halogen are work with 12V (AC and/or DC).  This is due to the pins design, creepage and clearance are not means for voltage more than 50V.  Please choose GU10 or JDR(E27 lamp base) lamps type if you want to use direct high voltage.  

I know it's just one site and I couldn't find anything more to confirm or contradict it, but if a fitting was originally designed (with regards to insulation etc.) for 12V it's probably not a good idea to put mains on it.
    Much appreciated brightspark.
    Now i am stuck with 20 odd of the things and have no use for them.

Advertisement