Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networked House - How I should setup my home PC

Options
  • 03-04-2017 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm moving into a new house soon which I am building. I have got each of the rooms (office, 2 living rooms and 3 bedrooms) connected using Cat 5 network cabling.

I'm looking to install a new computer setup into the office room. I was initially thinking of a large monitor with a laptop and docking station. However, I'm now wondering if there is anything straightforward that I can do to take advantage of the house being networked - and what benefit I would be able to gain from the networking of a PC?

I've never setup any of these systems before so I'm looking suggestions as how to go about this and whether it would be worthwhile.

The main use of this computer would be for internet usage and I occassionaly work from home too. There is not normally a lot of people wanting to use the computer currently at the same time.

I've yet to purchase my TVs for this house. Is there any point in getting smart TVs?

All suggestions welcome and if you require any further info in regards tot he spec or requirements just ask

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hi,

I'm moving into a new house soon which I am building. I have got each of the rooms (office, 2 living rooms and 3 bedrooms) connected using Cat 5 network cabling.

I'm looking to install a new computer setup into the office room. I was initially thinking of a large monitor with a laptop and docking station. However, I'm now wondering if there is anything straightforward that I can do to take advantage of the house being networked - and what benefit I would be able to gain from the networking of a PC?

I've never setup any of these systems before so I'm looking suggestions as how to go about this and whether it would be worthwhile.

The main use of this computer would be for internet usage and I occassionaly work from home too. There is not normally a lot of people wanting to use the computer currently at the same time.

I've yet to purchase my TVs for this house. Is there any point in getting smart TVs?

All suggestions welcome and if you require any further info in regards tot he spec or requirements just ask

Thanks.

It's worth doing because you get much better throughput on a wired network than on wireless, for a variety of reasons. I would personally choose a media centre PC (which can be something like a Raspberry Pi with something Kodi, or a Chromecast or Amazon Fire TV if you don't want a fully-fledged PC there) over integrated Smart TV functions, because thus far most smart tvs arent supported/updated for very long and some, like Samsung's, have privacy concerns or security issues.

Another thing you can do if you go for the above setup is hook up a NAS box and stream films from it to your media centre pc (though if you've got DVDs/Blu Rays this does mean ripping them all first).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Why cat 5 and not cat 6? Or is it cat 5e?
    A nas is a great idea as you can use this as a streaming point to all the rooms.
    For instance I have my nas hooked up to my router and can stream to any tv in the house.
    I have smart TVs and all have the plex app built in which makes streaming easier

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TVs you keep for a good few years (personally probably 4-5) whereas the "smarts" last about as long as a smartphone, 18 months. Doesnt make sense to bundle them IMO. €30 Chromecast.

ED E wrote: »
    TVs you keep for a good few years (personally probably 4-5) whereas the "smarts" last about as long as a smartphone, 18 months. Doesnt make sense to bundle them IMO. €30 Chromecast.

He's using network and to be honest chromecast is just about fine for standard and low bitrate hd. With a smart TVs with plex and Ethernet built in there's no problem streaming however you're at the mercy of tv makers as in they could just pull an app, i.e. Samsung are notorious for it.
    I have 2 Apple TVs gen 4 hooked up and an nvidia shield hard wired in my bedroom but there are much cheaper options on amazon etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I have my house wired for Cat5e. Have pc, router, Raspberry Pi x 2, PS3 & 4 connected by Ethernet. Also have a NAS drive under the stairs which is also connected by Ethernet.

Watch all content on NAS through the Pis running Kodi. Once or twice I've had something which wouldn't play. Still have to figure out why. Maybe the Pi couldn't play it. Did try Plex and found it wasn't as good. The NAS needs to be able to transcode on the go for that.

Have 2 laptops, couple of phones and a tablet and Sonos which are connected by Wifi. Have a Chromecast too but would rather play anything I have through the NAS/Raspberry Pi. Chromecast is handy for streaming BBC iPlayer etc from laptop.

Still have to find some decent apps for Kodi. Only use it as a local media player at the moment.

• Advertisement

For plex i only use it locally so no need for transcoding. I found that by default my atvs were forcImg transcoding so switched it to the original quality. I didn't think much of plex over the past few years but once i got used to it now I couldn't do without it. I love the resume feature where it picks up where you last watched no matter where you are and when you integrate plex with your nas that's configured for sickbeard it's bloody awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I might try Plex again. I don't mind paying for the premium version if it's worth it. I know it looked better than Kodi anyway. What is actually playing the file then? I don't think my processor in the NAS is powerful enough. Can I use Plex to Raspberry Pi? Do you know of any good guides?

Wheety wrote: »
    I might try Plex again. I don't mind paying for the premium version if it's worth it. I know it looked better than Kodi anyway. What is actually playing the file then? I don't think my processor in the NAS is powerful enough. Can I use Plex to Raspberry Pi? Do you know of any good guides?

You don't even need premium anymore unless you're want to use it remotely. Since you're not transcoding it's simply data being pushed with minimal overhead.
    I'm using a synology ds216+ which is dual core but I had no problems with single core nas. The only thing you need is a good connection and unless you have the ac high speed wireless wired connection is best.

Advertisement