Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying at the lower end of the market

Options
  • 03-04-2017 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We're currently saving for a deposit for a house in North Fingal (probably Balbriggan). By December we'll have about €40k saved and an income of €64k gross with two salaries.

However, the more I look at the market the more disheartened I get. We'll be looking for houses in the €200k range, 3 bed ideally (2 bed apartment is ok).We currently live with the inlaws, which makes saving a lot easier.

At this point I'm beginning to wonder if buying is even possible on our salaries. Outbidding is rife, the market's heating up again and our resources are limited. Renting is horribly expensive now.

I'm half thinking of asking my parents if we could build a 2 bed log cabin at the bottom of their garden. The other option is bumping off the inlaws.

Does anyone have any reassurance or are things really that bad?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Hi all,

We're currently saving for a deposit for a house in North Fingal (probably Balbriggan). By December we'll have about €40k saved and an income of €64k gross with two salaries.

However, the more I look at the market the more disheartened I get. We'll be looking for houses in the €200k range, 3 bed ideally (2 bed apartment is ok).We currently live with the inlaws, which makes saving a lot easier.

At this point I'm beginning to wonder if buying is even possible on our salaries. Outbidding is rife, the market's heating up again and our resources are limited. Renting is horribly expensive now.

I'm half thinking of asking my parents if we could build a 2 bed log cabin at the bottom of their garden. The other option is bumping off the inlaws.

Does anyone have any reassurance or are things really that bad?

Are you tied to that area specifically or could you commute?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

allibastor wrote: »
    Are you tied to that area specifically or could you commute?

Anywhere in North County Dublin would be ok. Even Meath or Louth would be fine as long at I could be in Blanchardstown with 45 mins (for work).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Portlaoise or Carlow town as an option maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's not pretty, it needs some TLC and it's probably the roughest street in the area but if you are comfortable with the area (go up at night etc.)

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/11-st-berachs-place-kilbarrack-dublin-5/3866752

Also a few apartments in D5/13 under 200K (2 beds)

Also try D11, wide parts of it are fine by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If it's any encouragement: with slightly less of a deposit and only a slightly higher salary level (though single salary) we were able to buy a 4 bed in Portrane for 230k last August. We've had to put in another 20k or so of improvements (new kitchen, bathroom, some replastering and a lot of DIY redecoration). Ideally I'd have liked to be able to do about another 15k or so worth of further improvements (windows and heating upgrades) but it'll have to wait until we can save it. A fixer-upper can be a false economy in the long run but it can help you get the area you want and if you're prepared to roll up the sleeves and learn as you go from Youtube or the likes, you can do a lot to a house yourself (I've learnt rudimentary plumbing from the boards.ie forum, youtube and the likes) and painting / decorating aren't exactly difficult...

If you're fixed at 200k rather than slightly above it, you could still look at 3 beds in Lusk or Rush. I'd prefer the Donabate / Portrane peninsula myself but either would be preferable to Balbriggan imho and are a better commute to Blanchardstown (working there myself and usually manage the commute in 30 - 40 minutes from Portrane).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

OSI wrote: »
    Lol, half the houses in that estate are either burnt out or have their windows smashed in.

Could you show me where please?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

You mention you work in the Blanchardstown area, would you consider Castlecurragh in Mulhuddart? I live quite near it and would walk through it regularly with the dog etc, and it's always quiet and well kept. It's also pretty handy for amenities.
    P.s- I see what you mean, I was sure there were 3 bed houses for sale there under 200k, they're all gone up.
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/duplexes-for-sale/mulhuddart/castlecurragh-heath-mulhuddart-dublin-1387812/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/6-st-canices-park-glasnevin-dublin-11/3847707

I know its only an apartment of sorts but st Canices road is a very nice area.

mariaalice wrote: »
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/6-st-canices-park-glasnevin-dublin-11/3847707

I know its only an apartment of sorts but st Canices road is a very nice area.

Honestly the area is absolutely fab, good schools, lots of parks. Live more or less across the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/heathfield-finglas-dublin-11/3450911

Drove past here during the week 220k for a new house anywhere in the Dublin area is very good. A rated as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/balbriggan/16-dun-saithne-green-balbriggan-dublin-1402684/

That just went sale agreed in Balbriggan recently. Keep on the sites daily and you'll find something which appeals to you and around your price point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Advertisement