Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wading boots

Options
  • 03-04-2017 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Do you use them when using stocking foot waders ?? Just got a new set waders and I'm debating buying boots or just using an old pair of walking boots I have out in the shed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I use wading boots, but you can use anything you want - Henry Gilbey in the UK has been blogging about his experience with wading boots over the last few years and at the moment he's using a cheap pair of working boots. Bear in mind that the neoprene socks are usually much thicker than normal socks so you might need a larger size boot than normal to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Zzippy wrote: »
    I use wading boots, but you can use anything you want - Henry Gilbey in the UK has been blogging about his experience with wading boots over the last few years and at the moment he's using a cheap pair of working boots. Bear in mind that the neoprene socks are usually much thicker than normal socks so you might need a larger size boot than normal to fit.

Having used wading boots in the past I think I am going to try a pair of hiking boots with an ankle support . Way cheaper and will definitely last longer

Worse case scenario i have a pair of hiking boots if I ever feel the need to go for a good walk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

popsy09 wrote: »
    Having used wading boots in the past I think I am going to try a pair of hiking boots with an ankle support . Way cheaper and will definitely last longer

Worse case scenario i have a pair of hiking boots if I ever feel the need to go for a good walk :)
    Be carefully that the boots don't have metal eyelets. They won't last, especially if you put them in salt water.
    I used to leave mine overnight in a bin of fresh water after use and they still only lasted 6 months. That was all salt water fishing on beaches and no real wading except to cast or release a fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

If your fishing a river with slippey rocks on the river bef get a pair of boots with felt soles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If your fishing a river with slippey rocks on the river bef get a pair of boots with felt soles.

True, but they are desperate if walking grassy banks or slopes when wet. and rubber soles last longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

True, but they are desperate if walking grassy banks or slopes when wet. and rubber soles last longer.

if u slip in shallow water and bang yr head you could drown. I no its very unlikely but u never no. The rocks where I fish are slippy as ice in a few places. But other rivers you wouldn't need them. The rubber ones would last longer for sure.

Advertisement