Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is enforcing rent controls?

Options
2»

Comments

Then they spot the place for rent again and make a case at the RTB using nothing more than a lease and a couple of screenshots and get thousands in damages.

Not a smart strategy tbh.

They will have to move though and if they really don't want to move then the above isn't an option. They also have to want to go to the effort if pursuing the LL and the LL may try to rent it on the quiet rather than on daft etc so they may not know it's been rerented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

They will have to move though and if they really don't want to move then the above isn't an option. They also have to want to go to the effort if pursuing the LL and the LL may try to rent it on the quiet rather than on daft etc so they may not know it's been rerented.

They can still shop the landlord to the PRTB.

They can still shop the landlord to the PRTB.

Are you missing the part about not wanting to have to move?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I don't get some posters fascination with skirting around residential tenancies legislation or assuming that most landlords are trying to do the same.

While there are undoubtedly some unscrupulous landlords around, it's fair to say they are not the norm. In the vast majority of cases a landlord may be unhappy about the legislation, he/she may even have a bit of a moan about it. For the most part they will then go on to act in accordance with the law.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Drop an email to enforcement@rtb.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

....... wrote: »

Landlords are quite rightly sensitive about the fact that they are constantly being scapegoated for the state of the rental market, for being greedy and exploitative.

From this derives conversations such as this; who is stopping those (greedy and exploitative) landlords from breaching the 4%.

I'll say the following twice, so that I'm double clear.

- I'm not saying that you have called landlords greedy or exploitative.

- I'm definitely not saying that you have called landlords greedy or exploitative.

And you are perfectly entitled to ask who is enforcing the 4% rental hike.

However there is always that undercurrent when a conversation such as this takes place. Who is keeping all those greedy landlords in check.

Landlords are no more responsible for current rent hikes than tenants were responsible when rents fell by 40% between 2007 and 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

It exists throughout the general discourse on rental inflation; if you want specific examples then read some articles on the indo website, and the comments section.

As a matter of interest, how would you expect it to be enforced?

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The RTB claim to have had over a hundred complaints and a large proportion of them were upheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

OP I think you should report it yourself, there is a duty of responsibility as a citizen for you if you see something in the wrong to report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

They don't need to know it was you. And if you say you know the previous tenants and how much they were paying its not hearsay. People need to standup if things are going to change

Advertisement