Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a bike restored?

Options
  • 03-04-2017 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Have a steel frame MBK Triathlon sitting in the shed. Got it back in 1990 and I'd like to put it back on the road. Has a Shimano 105 groupset with the oval chainrings. One of the rims has a buckle and will need to be replaced, along with tyres, cables, etc. Paintwork could do with a touch up.

I've been meaning to do this work myself, but years have gone by and no progress has been made. Now I've a newborn to look after and it's time to admit that I'm never going to do this.

Is there a shop anywhere that I could hand this over to and pay them to do it all? I'm based in Swords, but I don't think Richie's would be interested.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, regardless of whether a shop will or won't do it, the question to ask is how much it would cost, or how much are you willing to pay?
    given that i've seen bike shops charging €100+ for a sull strip down service, i expect you're looking at significantly above that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

well, regardless of whether a shop will or won't do it, the question to ask is how much it would cost, or how much are you willing to pay?
    given that i've seen bike shops charging €100+ for a sull strip down service, i expect you're looking at significantly above that.
    I'd be willing to pay more than that if I could get the work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Id say any bike shop would do it but it will cost. The frame respray will cost if you do it right. Then you will need to replace/refurb drive train brakes and wheels and bottom bracket so a lot of labour as well as parts and original parts will be hard to find. Probably you'd buy a modern bike cheaper but if you are after a retro bike then get a price from your LBS. If they have it as a project with no time pressure they might work on it when it is quiet.
    You could get a LBS to strip it down and get the frame done yourself and do the rebuild it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

...... Can you recycle old bikes ............... ? :)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Worth giving Rothar in Phibsoboro a call...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

I hate to be the person to say this but...find the time and do it yourself (except the painting bit).

Forget about a faithful restoration and strip the frame completely and stick on a modern groupset - it's 1990 so it should have a 130mm rear dropout thus it'll take modern components. You could get a half decent 10 speed groupset with a nice set of wheels for not a lot of cash and I'd change the handlebars to a modern set which would suit STI or Ergo levers better.

That said, it's only my opinion and you can ignore it if you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

You could try Dara at Bee cycles. I would ring rather than email.

http://www.beecycles.net/contact-us.php

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Worth giving Rothar in Phibsoboro a call...

I wouldn't use them, based on my own experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Not really fair to any company to leave a comment like that

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Smalltom

Check out chris custom designs on fb for the respray. He has done lots of older stuff and will give an opinion as opposed to just doing whatever you think would be nice. He did a tt frame for me and the workmanship is excellent. 250-300 euro iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

benneca1 wrote: »
    Not really fair to any company to leave a comment like that

I asked them to give my bike a general service, tune up the gears and replace the bottom bracket.

I phoned to check if bike was ready, they said it was. I was half way over to the shop when they called to say it wouldn't actually be ready until the following day.

When I collected it they hadn't replaced the bottom bracket, and told me I hadn't asked for it. I told them to check the docket, which said to replace the bottom bracket. So I had to walk away again and come back the next day.

Gears were worse than when I left them in. I didn't want to waste any more time so did the remainder of the work myself.

I appreciate what they are trying to do, that's why I wanted to use their service. I just wouldn't let them work on my bike again. It didn't come from a place of deliberate bad customer service on their part, I think they were just a bit lazy and half hearted about their work.

Advertisement