Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I thought luncheon was a national thing?

Options
  • 03-04-2017 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Recently offered to make my parter a luncheon and Tayto sandwich and he looked at me like I had three heads.

Is luncheon not nationally known? Ya know, red lead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Never heard of it in Dublin anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Grew up on corn beef and chicken n'ham sandwiches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Luncheon meat? kind of like spam without the tin :D I haven't seen that stuff for years, You would need the Tayto , it's as bad as Haslet, anyone remember that?:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Do you mean luncheon meat?
    I've heard of that.

To me luncheon is just long speak for lunch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

andreoilin wrote: »

If you're talking about luncheon meat, then yes, available in any supermarket that has a cold meat counter, probably tinned as well.

Tesco for example sell it, people know to ask for it presumably.

I think it's your odd phrasing that is throwing people off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

Luncheon meat? kind of like spam without the tin :D I haven't seen that stuff for years, You would need the Tayto , it's as bad as Haslet, anyone remember that?:o:o

Not to be confused with general lunch meats now. It's not billy roll, or corned beef, or any of that. It's a circular, pure red meat.

If you're talking about luncheon meat, then yes, available in any supermarket that has a cold meat counter, probably tinned as well.

Tesco for example sell it, people know to ask for it presumably.

I think it's your odd phrasing that is throwing people off.

I don't mean luncheon meat. Well, I do, it's a type of luncheon meat, but it's nicknamed red lead.

Jesus, that looks like you'd get radiation poisoning from it. :eek:

Zaph wrote: »
    Jesus, that looks like you'd get radiation poisoning from it. :eek:

Haha, if my memory serves me correctly it used to be a much darker red but there were health concerns so they changed it up a bit. If you're ever in Waterford, get yourself a luncheon and Tayto blaa. Heaven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Know that stuff all right. Didn't know any name for it. A bit like cooked sausage meat stuck together. Passable, but probably rubbish.

If you're ever in Waterford, get yourself a luncheon and Tayto blaa. Heaven.

I think I'll stick with the Tayto thanks. That stuff looks evil and I don't get the obsession with blaas at all. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Four pence a ton,we used to call it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I do remember haslet...I still have no idea what kind of meat it was though :D All I remember is it was a brown colour with a crumbly brown crust (sort of) and it was a wee bit spicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

miamee wrote:
    I do remember haslet...I still have no idea what kind of meat it was though All I remember is it was a brown colour with a crumbly brown crust (sort of) and it was a wee bit spicy.

Iirc (and I may be talking through my arse), hazlet is made from offcuts pressed together with jelly.

I may be thinking of something else entirely, though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Iirc (and I may be talking through my arse), hazlet is made from offcuts pressed together with jelly.

I may be thinking of something else entirely, though.

You're thinking of brawn - icky stuff.

Haslet was a type of meatloaf: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haslet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

Recently offered to make my parter a luncheon and Tayto sandwich and he looked at me like I had three heads.

As far as I know, red lead is a Waterford only thing,usually served in our blaa, boi. I must have eaten 1000s of red lead blaa's when I was young. I think it's the reason I became vegetarian. :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Those pictures are gross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Mystery meat

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Haslet is wonderful, though I always thought it was a Lincolnshire speciality. Liver and pork. There's a recipe in The Complete Farmhouse Kitchen, which I've mentioned before to a stunning silence :)

Here's a recipe from Stephen Jackson.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

I saw luncheon meat being made many years ago in a factory in Tralee. I haven't eaten it since. Technically it is edible but so are a lot of things. Mostly boiled fat, gristle and pink colouring. End of the production line that started with a whole pig, then bacon (saline injection to make up the weight) then boiled ham (from leftover pieces, pressed together) then sausages from the leftovers and cutoffs after those. Anything left was boiled up to make luncheon meat.
    Then again maybe chorizo isn't a lot different?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If you called it Red Lead she probably thought you were mad, but luncheon meat is luncheon meat everywhere AFAIK

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Luncheon meat seems pretty standard, I think we used to call it pork and onion. Get sent down to the shop for a quarter of pork and onion and a quarter of corned beef, if you were lucky you could get ham instead the odd time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

God. That stuff is horrible.

**shudders**

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

Luncheon and salad cream sandwiches are the best.

Advertisement