Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a top quality alarm system - wireless only

Options
  • 03-04-2017 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Just about to make a few calls on getting an alarm system installed in a new house. The house is not wired for an alarm, will definitely be going for wireless.

Just wondering what high quality wireless systems exist? Any particular to steer clear of?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

For fully wireless no first choice would be GSD.
    After that maybe Risco. These give you a fully wireless system with wireless external bells etc.
    They also give you the options of self monitoring with push notifications on alarm events and free apps which give you free remote control of your alarm etc.
    There are some systems where you have to pay for every app and pay monthly or annually subscriptions. See the sticky for more information on this and polling reaction times etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

If it is a quality system you are looking for then look no further than HKC Securewave. I would recommend the 10/70 Panel. They have been around years now and i have had no issues with them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

kub wrote: »
    If it is a quality system you are looking for then look no further than HKC Securewave. I would recommend the 10/70 Panel. They have been around years now and i have had no issues with them at all.

Agree. Best out there by miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

Hkc securewave is by far the best . Risco and vanderbilt left trailing . Dont even think of visonic . One thing though , avoid the fully wireless external bell if possible , either run a cable from panel or power source .

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭kifi

Thanks all - what are main differences between GSD and HKC secure wave?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

kub wrote: »

Have to agree also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

kifi wrote: »

Wire free sensors would have more than double the battery life on HKC.
    HKC Sensors would also have the ability to have wired inertias wired into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 davehogan100

I would recommend either of the HKC wireless panels you really get what you pay for, UTC/Arritechs systems are reliable to but there lagging massively behind with features and usability anything else we've tired has caused call backs or not made it beyond our office due to issues with reliability. Avoid wireless bells if you can.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

kifi wrote: »

All of these systems conform to En50131. So very little difference there. Battery life is fine on GSD.
    The big difference is on the ongoing charges, the charges for apps and the polling times.
    Plenty try different angles on this, but it's down to one simple fact
    If your property is attacked with all comms disabled would you rather know about it within 5 minutes, 90 minutes or 8 hours.
    The first is GSDs service. The second 2 are HKCs paid for services +€7.99 per app.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Can anyone recommend an installer that does both HKC and GSD (around south Co Dublin) via pm please? Had a few site visits by installers who do either one but not both and would like to compare more readily. Installing HKC seems to be running about 1.5 times the cost of GSD too, is that normal or just the installers in question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

HKC + 1 or pyronix . Both of these use a far more reliable wireless system in comparison to GSD

HKCs minimum poll time on the cheapest package is 20 minutes. With The HKC service you get an SMS message and a voice push notification.

Pyronix will alert you via a push notification and SMS if you use a dual comm simcard.

GSD will only offer push as the free service so if you're out of wifi or don't keep your data on when out and about you won't get your Alert from GSD unless you pay for an alternative path.

Hi
    I sent you a PM on that.
    Most good installers should be able to install any system you want.
    There are lots of guys out there whose knowledge is limited to one system. If that's what you are finding it's best to shop around.
    Would you employ an electrician that will only want you to use one type of socket or one type of light switch.???

I would also beware of people giving you false information re polling etc...

Here is the standard package from HKCs site
    Standard - €4.99 per month (Incl. VAT)
    Managed World SIM
    Unlimited App control + notifications
    SMS control + notifications, fair usage limit 50 messages per month
    (* Alarm activations only)
    Monitoring to Central Station
    (GSM-SC Only)
    Loss of connectivity to site detected within 8 hours
    This means in the event of all comms being lost, or attacked, you won't know about it for 8 hours.
    If this happens your system would you prefer to be notified 8 hours later or 5 minutes which GSD can be set to.
    GSD also offer GSM back up via an international SIM at €40 per year.
    There is a lot of good info in the sticky. I'd recommend a read of it. It could save you a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

Cant stress how much you should ignore the above post . He tells you not to get caught up in one system then informs you that only the one he sells/recommends are any good !

Take it from somebody who has been installing alarms for 30+ years . The hkc wireless alarm is hands down the best . Nothing else comes close in regards reliability , features and use-ability . Also you can get sim dialler that lets you turn on & off alarm remotely for roughly €5 every 6 months . This dialler also texts you any activations . You do not need to sign up to any direct debit if you dont want to .

I am also in the industry most of my life as long as that. If you read some of my posts before attacking you would see I install most systems and I usually recommend a couple of systems.
    Siemens Vanderbilt and GSD are our most
    popular because most people don't want to pay annual or monthly subscriptions.
    Also install some Risco systems.
    If anyone wanted us to install HKC we would. However most change their mind when the charges, fees and polling alerts are explained fully to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Agreed I would disregard that post.

HKC wifi card on basic service is 20mins comms fail

That poll time is using a GSM unit. The crowd he's recommending are beginning to charge for the GSM service.

Siemens sends you an email so I wouldn't take them seriously

Your not comparing like with like at all.
    At the end of the day every system has vulnerabilitys. The question here is if you are subject to an attack that takes out all the comms how soon would you like to get the notification?
    HKC 8 hours.
    HKC premium 90 minutes.
    GSD Free 5 minutes
    Siemens Free 1 Minute.
    GSDs paid service is €40 per year. Notifications of comms fail is still 18 times faster that HKCs at around €95 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

OP you can probably see from this thread that some posters are as usual on about 'attack' etc.

I note you used the words high quality, well that suggests that you are willing to spend good money on the right system.

Therefore do not bother with the typical cheap panels that usually go by people's front doors.
    What I am talking about here is the likes of the HKC Quantum, Visionic, the all in one GSD. Or any other panel that has its control, communication ability and internal siren in the one unit.

The likes of Phonewatch and Visionic pushed these cheaper type systems onto the market with the one solution for all mentality.
    Meanwhile other manufacturers moved away from the all in one box type arrangement in the late 80's, early 90's.

The idea being that the device to arm and disarm the system, ie the keypad, could be smaller and fitted close to the primary entrance door. Hence the name Remote Keypad.
    The whole idea being that the unit that controls the system then could be fitted in a safer position within the premises or home.
    The Internal Siren could also be fitted away from the control panel, therefore if there was a break in, the offenders would only find the internal siren by following the actual noise within the house, then get at it and damage it to silence it.

So as you can gather, the all in one type panel is less secure than the type with the remote keypad as the thief has his greatest enemy, time, against him.

Therefore a properly professionally designed security system would have a lot more factors rather than getting some notification from your alarm that there is an issue with comms.

That stuff is only secondary to a professional system that in the event of a break in has the capability to notify a central monitoring station of a break in, in progress and Gardai actually being notified of a crime in progress.
    Rather than you worried just because there was a hiccup on some mobile phone companies equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DIS_man_

where is the sticky again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Mod Note:

OP you'll fond good informaiton here, note again that many of the responses that you get here are from people in the business, some are commercially aligned with products, some are not. The advice is generally very good from very good contributers, but keep that in mind.

What i will say is that all the stuff recommended here is decent enough and there really isnt a huge amount of difference between them a good installer will generally make up the difference, great kit poory installed is of little use

Everyone else, please play nice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement