Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate my soil

• 03-04-2017 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,103 ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to fix my total ignorance on gardening issues.

I think I have clay.

This is what it looks like when the top layer is disturbed:

image.jpg

This is what it looks like dissolved, and damply formed into a "sausage" (as suggested by some random web site).

image.jpg

What say ye - clay or nay?

(cue poo jokes)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Lumen wrote: »
    I'm trying to fix my total ignorance on gardening issues.

I think I have clay.

This is what it looks like when the top layer is disturbed:

image.jpg

This is what it looks like dissolved, and damply formed into a "sausage" (as suggested by some random web site).

image.jpg

What say ye - clay or nay?

(cue poo jokes)
    Yes looks like a heavy clay soil, don't fret though, there are loads of nice plants that like that type of soil and with a little bit of research you'll find them.

But seriously there really was no need to do a toilet on the plate;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,103 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yes looks like a heavy clay soil, don't fret though, there are loads of nice plants that like that type of soil and with a little bit of research you'll find them.
    OK, great. That explains why my garden has so many thriving woody shrubs.

I'm planning to grow fruit trees and vegetables, and it seems like the best approach is to gently increase the organic matter over a couple of seasons by mixing in coarse garden compost and chopped leaves.

https://www.growveg.co.uk/guides/growing-vegetables-in-clay-soil/

I chipped a few bushes and trees last summer and spread the chippings over my front beds, which have only shrubs.

Maybe I should move some of the (presumably slightly rotted) mulch to my new (soon to be dug) veggie beds?

Oh, and presumably raised beds is a good idea to stop people tramping on them.

Advertisement