Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using contactless in the UK

• 03-04-2017 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

I'm travelling to London at the end of the month and I would like to use my debt card to pay for things and to use contactless on the London Underground.

What sort of charges will be incurred. Is it just the usual 1c for contactless plus whatever the exchange rate is or are there are there extra charges?

Would it be cheaper to just take out cash cash before I go and exchange it in a bank.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Good Morning Irishchick, 

Thank you for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie 

When using your card for non-Euro Contactless transactions an additional Cross-border handling fee is applied. This fee is 2% of the transaction value, with a maximum of €11.43 per transaction. You can also view a full list of fees here

Before travelling we would suggest that you check with the London Underground to ensure that they accept your card type. You can do this here. You can also give travel notification to ourselves via the Service Desk on 365Online. 

As exchange rates vary throughout the day, you can find an up to date list of our branch exchange rates and a handy calculator here on our website. 

I hope this helps and if you need anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again. 

Elaine 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Good Morning Irishchick, 

Thank you for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie 

When using your card for non-Euro Contactless transactions an additional Cross-border handling fee is applied. This fee is 2% of the transaction value, with a maximum of €11.43 per transaction. You can also view a full list of fees here

Before travelling we would suggest that you check with the London Underground to ensure that they accept your card type. You can do this here. You can also give travel notification to ourselves via the Service Desk on 365Online. 

As exchange rates vary throughout the day, you can find an up to date list of our branch exchange rates and a handy calculator here on our website. 

I hope this helps and if you need anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again. 

Elaine 

Thanks Elaine. What is the fee for point of sale (putting laser card into cred card machine) in the UK? Is that 2% as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi Irishchick, 

The fee for Visa Debit at point of sale is 10c and the cross border handling fee is the same as contactless. For ATM withdrawals the fee is 25c plus a cross border handling fee of 3.5% of the transaction value with a minimum fee of €3.17 and a maximum fee of €11.43. 

Thanks again, 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just as an FYI I've used a BOI Visa Debit on London Bus and as they're operated by TFL as well it should work on tube stops too. 

Advertisement