Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsure about questions before interview

Options
  • 03-04-2017 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Thanks for reading and please help me. Basically I've been unemployed for quite some time (about 2 years now)
    I was made redundant slightly over 2 years ago and since then had a baby. I am actively trying my best to get a job. I have experience but not recent experience obviously. I am a 28 year old woman. Anyway the other day I got a phone call from a company and they said they just wanted to ask a few questions. I was very polite and answered the questions and then received an email saying unfortunately I wouldn't be getting the job. I'm confused and trying to figure it out so I don't answer wrong again. They asked me "what have you been doing since you last worked 2 years ago"
    Can anyone advise me how I should answer this? I said "I recently had a baby" but can anyone tell me what they want to hear or how do i explain the gap in my cv without just saying I wasn't working
    Thank you so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Are there any online free courses you might do related to your field of work.

That way you could say you were off having your baby but you also used to time to take some industry specific online training.

Partly they will want to know you haven't switched off completly from the topic of work.

There is also a slight chance that they heard "new mother" and decided as some do that they would rather not hire someone who's first priority is something other than work.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭sallyanne12

_Brian wrote: »
    Are there any online free courses you might do related to your field of work.

That way you could say you were off having your baby but you also used to time to take some industry specific online training.

Partly they will want to know you haven't switched off completly from the topic of work.

There is also a slight chance that they heard "new mother" and decided as some do that they would rather not hire someone who's first priority is something other than work.

Thank you Brian. Is it best I don't mention being a mother at all? Could I lie about doing a course?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'm not sure about a lie, you could do a free course or even a cheap one and then "embellish" it's content, it's not a lie really.
    Personally I think it's ok to mention being a mother but like I said try and have stuff to balance it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

'I was made redundant and had a baby shortly afterwards' is truthful and absolutely OK. Don't fudge, don't apologise. Get some courses done if possible, brush up your CV, practice your interview skills and go get a job. You are still early in your career. 

Best of luck.

Advertisement