Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you request private scan from consultant if going public?

Options
  • 03-04-2017 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Or would you need to go to a private provider separate to the local HSE? Thanks.

I presume a private scan elsewhere would still be forwarded to my public consultant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Lumina

73trix wrote: »
    Or would you need to go to a private provider separate to the local HSE? Thanks.

I presume a private scan elsewhere would still be forwarded to my public consultant.

I think down in the South East the public consultants don't do scans privately on public in general but you would normally go to a sonographer for such things.

We had private scan and they gave us a paper report that they suggested we take to first public appointment. If there were something seriously wrong they might liaise?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

73trix are there not private scanning businesses near you? Not in hospitals....separate businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Millem wrote: »
    73trix are there not private scanning businesses near you? Not in hospitals....separate businesses.

Yes there is one. I could go there and ask it be sent to the public consultant. I was just wondering about options. I've only heard of people going private for the 12 wk scan but I guess they can scan you anytime, right? What else does a private consultant check on each visit apart from fetal heartbeat, blood pressure, urine, fundus which is done every 4wks in public system til 28wks and every 2 wks after that? I understand you get a mini scan each time alright which is great but I'm wondering about sticking public with an extra private scan or 2 perhaps altho last time I had 3 scans in public - 7wks, 19 wks and 34wks. Just interested and seeking all the info I can to firm up my decision to stick with public system. If I were to be offered midwife led again like last time but never took it up, how does that compare with the hospital check ups? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

My two private scans were never linked up anywhere along the line with my records or the hospital at all, I don't think I ever even mentioned them so theyre definitely not forwarded to your consultant. Look up your nearest private scanning business and see what they offer, they can usually be done from 6-7 weeks onwards but they offer different scans at different stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Yes there is one. I could go there and ask it be sent to the public consultant. I was just wondering about options. I've only heard of people going private for the 12 wk scan but I guess they can scan you anytime, right? What else does a private consultant check on each visit apart from fetal heartbeat, blood pressure, urine, fundus which is done every 4wks in public system til 28wks and every 2 wks after that? I understand you get a mini scan each time alright which is great but I'm wondering about sticking public with an extra private scan or 2 perhaps altho last time I had 3 scans in public - 7wks, 19 wks and 34wks. Just interested and seeking all the info I can to firm up my decision to stick with public system. If I were to be offered midwife led again like last time but never took it up, how does that compare with the hospital check ups? Thanks.

No I doubt they would send your scans anywhere! They will hand then to you and you can bring them to your next appointment.

My consultant scans me at every visit. I don't know how many visits you will need. But reckon the average joe must get 11 visits so 11 scans?
    8 weeks, 12 weeks, 16 weeks, 20-22 weeks (anomaly scan), 24 weeks, 28 weeks, 32 weeks, 34 weeks, 36 weeks, 38 weeks, 40 weeks.

You may need more visits though.
    So far I had 8 weeks, 12 weeks, 13 weeks (internal and big scan), 15 weeks (internal and big scan), 16 weeks.
    5 consultant appointments and 5 scans.

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    No I doubt they would send your scans anywhere! They will hand then to you and you can bring them to your next appointment.

My consultant scans me at every visit. I don't know how many visits you will need. But reckon the average joe must get 11 visits so 11 scans?
    8 weeks, 12 weeks, 16 weeks, 20-22 weeks (anomaly scan), 24 weeks, 28 weeks, 32 weeks, 34 weeks, 36 weeks, 38 weeks, 40 weeks.

You may need more visits though.
    So far I had 8 weeks, 12 weeks, 13 weeks (internal and big scan), 15 weeks (internal and big scan), 16 weeks.
    5 consultant appointments and 5 scans.[/quote

The private place sent my 12wk to my Gp. Of course I could send in myself. Am thinking I may be too late now to change to private so will stick with public and get a private scan or 2. ]

• Administrators Posts: 14,030 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Is there a particular reason that you think you need a private scan, or is it just for your own interest?

If you are worried about anything at anytime you can go to your hospitals maternity ward (if not a designated maternity hospital) and get checked over. Most, if not all appointments will have a 'small' scan to make sure baby is the appropriate size, check for sufficient fluid etc. If anything is needed to be checked on the 'big' scan it will be done there and then for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

If you ring the private secretary of your consultant, you can ask them if you can be seen for an appointment in their private rooms. I'm sure they would be able to tell you what your options are, because different consultants will have different ways of doing things

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meathcat7

We had a private scan at 6 weeks with Ultrasound Dimensions in Blackrock - I don't know where you are located. They sent a copy of the scan to my GP as I hadn't gotten a consultant at that stage.

Is there a particular reason that you think you need a private scan, or is it just for your own interest?

If you are worried about anything at anytime you can go to your hospitals maternity ward (if not a designated maternity hospital) and get checked over. Most, if not all appointments will have a 'small' scan to make sure baby is the appropriate size, check for sufficient fluid etc. If anything is needed to be checked on the 'big' scan it will be done there and then for you.

No, just having doubts about going public and seeing if I can supplement public care. I'm 40+ which didn't affect me last time but this time it's IVF pg. I was casually going public again but had s speed wobble!

• Advertisement

jlm29 wrote: »
    If you ring the private secretary of your consultant, you can ask them if you can be seen for an appointment in their private rooms. I'm sure they would be able to tell you what your options are, because different consultants will have different ways of doing things

I could try this. Wouldn't do any harm to ask I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

A friend of mine is pregnant through IVF and due to the assisted nature of the pregnancy she is considered high risk so is getting a bit more attention. Check in with your hospital about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

I got a pregnancy 'package' for antenatal care with my local gynae doctor. Of course you get this free with GP. It cost me 500 but I got scanned every time and had some issues with healing after the birth. I found it worth it. I was very nervous during the pregnancy

I got a pregnancy 'package' for antenatal care with my local gynae doctor. Of course you get this free with GP. It cost me 500 but I got scanned every time and had some issues with healing after the birth. I found it worth it. I was very nervous during the pregnancy

Haven't heard of this but can enquire. AFAIK, its an all inclusive cost of 3K.

A friend of mine is pregnant through IVF and due to the assisted nature of the pregnancy she is considered high risk so is getting a bit more attention. Check in with your hospital about this.

Are you referring to the public system?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sped11

Hi all,sorry to butt in but does anyone know if you see the same consultant through the public system?I probably wouldn't see one every time as a public patient but would it be the same consultants clinic?I got my letter for booking apt today and consultant I'm due to see is who I was hoping I wouldn't get based on a friend's experience!Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

73trix wrote:
    Haven't heard of this but can enquire. AFAIK, its an all inclusive cost of 3K.

This wasn't with the hospital it was with a family planning clinic. Went public with hospital.

@Sped11 You'll be under a consultant but may not ever see them you would be seen by someone from their team. I think I seen my the consultant I was under twice

sped11 wrote: »
    Hi all,sorry to butt in but does anyone know if you see the same consultant through the public system?I probably wouldn't see one every time as a public patient but would it be the same consultants clinic?I got my letter for booking apt today and consultant I'm due to see is who I was hoping I wouldn't get based on a friend's experience!Thanks

I went public last time. Saw the consultant twice. She didn't deliver my baby as it wasn't her day but the guy who did was my ideal choice but a consultant who stopped taking new patients at the time so it worked out OK for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Are you referring to the public system?

Yes.

Yes.

That's good to hear. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

sped11 wrote: »

I had issues and was and out of hospital a good bit so I saw my consultant enough times she new me, maybe 10+. By the time I gave birth I knew her entire team too!

I had issues and was and out of hospital a good bit so I saw my consultant enough times she new me, maybe 10+. By the time I gave birth I knew her entire team too!

As a public patient? That's great. Not that I want issues mind....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

As a public patient? That's great. Not that I want issues mind....

Yeah I was public. Slow growth at my big scan meant fortnightly scans from 24-34 weeks. I was rhesus negative with a couple of bleeds and bumps so admitted for anti d. By 34 weeks my BP was up and I spent 37-40 on three day a week trips to the coombe for Blood pressure series. Induced at 39+6

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I initially got a early pregnancy scan done privately to estimate dates but this initial was more a ''well being'' scan / conformation. I paid for this privately. (e80)

I have also got the anatomy scan in a recognised clinic (different to the one above.) They were very helpful and afaik the consultants work in with hospital i will be getting care in but in terms of my care they are not connected if that makes sense?! I am sure I can give my report to them etc but I would like to get all scans done in hospital too....

Just be sure that you know what you are getting. For example, I thought my anatomy scan was done in the first place but it was actually a ''well being'' scan. I then got the anatomy scan done (e100) in the second clinic I went to. I couldnt get through to the hospital I will be attending so I just paid for it as I didn't know how long I would be waiting.

Advertisement