Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remediation work in my apartment / Landlord short notice & law

Options
  • 03-04-2017 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello Everyone,

My landlord is doing a remediation works in all the apartments of the building.
    One month ago I received a quick notification regarding coming work without any timeline.
    Today I received a letter notifying me that the work will start next week for 5 days from 8 am to 5 pm
    and that they will clean every day after it.
    I'm living here for 3 years now with my life. I don't know about the Irish law, but first, is there any minimum time to inform about the beginning of the work. Secondly do they have the right to go in and do what they want. I have several IT furnitures and don't want to see my interior loopy. It seems heavy work coming especially when I see the others apartments already under work. I'm working as well home, and I don't have the time to find another option.

If you have some feedback, suggestion or informations relative to the law, would be grateful.

Thanks a lot,
    Maël

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Darkskyne wrote: »
    Hello Everyone,

My landlord is doing a remediation works in all the apartments of the building.
    One month ago I received a quick notification regarding coming work without any timeline.
    Today I received a letter notifying me that the work will start next week for 5 days from 8 am to 5 pm
    and that they will clean every day after it.
    I'm living here for 3 years now with my life. I don't know about the Irish law, but first, is there any minimum time to inform about the beginning of the work. Secondly do they have the right to go in and do what they want. I have several IT furnitures and don't want to see my interior loopy. It seems heavy work coming especially when I see the others apartments already under work. I'm working as well home, and I don't have the time to find another option.

If you have some feedback, suggestion or informations relative to the law, would be grateful.

Thanks a lot,
    Maël

You got 5 weeks notice.
    How much notice do you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes, they have a right to do work which needs to be done. Your lease most likely says that you have to give them access.

They also have a right to inspect regularly (though many landlords don't bother) provided they give the required notice (I think it's 24 or 48 hours, at a mutually agreeable time) and so would be able to see your interior layout (I guess thats what you mean by "loopys") then anyway.

Does your landlord know that you work from home? If not, then possibly you are breaching your lease by doing this anyway.

The best you can do is to try negotiating for work on your apartment to be started a little later than the others - but it may be too late to ask for this now, you should have said something 5 weeks ago if it was going to be an issue.

The best suggestion I would have is to find someplace else to work for a few weeks. Are there any enterprise centres or serviced offices around? (They will be expensive - but perhaps not as costly as not being able to work). Do you know any small business people who might be able to let you use a desk in their office? Can you work in a cafe, or library?

Advertisement