Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Can I Improve? PLEASE HELP

• 03-04-2017 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I just passed maths by 4% in higher level and I'm trying to go from a D in my mocks to a C in my JC Or even a B If I get extremely lucky... does anyone have any tips ? I'm really trying at the moment but it's so hard and I have nobody outside of school who can help...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Stearinlys

Ialison wrote: »
    I just passed maths by 4% in higher level and I'm trying to go from a D in my mocks to a C in my JC Or even a B If I get extremely lucky... does anyone have any tips ? I'm really trying at the moment but it's so hard and I have nobody outside of school who can help...

Do lots of exam papers and watch YouTube videos explaining concepts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I went from 49% in my Maths HL mock to a C in the actual JC. A tip I can give is to work on exactly what you find difficult in particular in Maths. Mine was Geometry so I focused on that for much of my study. I surprisingly improved from just doing a small thing like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

OP the best way to improve is to keep doing exam questions!

I use to pick an area, say algebra and do all 6 exam questions on it, so say one question from a paper each year (2011 - 2016) kinda thing and that would really help you cover your problem areas.

Remember the mocks are designed to help you improve and you will get there!

Do questions you find hard and then bring them to your teacher and get them to break them down for you so you can learn and see where you were going wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭b318isp

I'd recommend practice, practice and more practice. You can google questions to get more to do.

Pick something you struggle with, e.g. Long Polynomial Division. Get, say, 20 off the web or past papers. Then do them! Repeat until comfortable.

Then a week later, do say 2 or 3 again to refresh the principle.

Repeat this for the main areas you struggle with.

Maths is a subject that you can only study by DOING loads of questions. You start to see patterns and repeated structures over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Larine4

Test your self using exam questions then check the marking scheme online. Learn the theorems and constructs OF by heart (because they are guaranteed).If you are weak at e.g geometry, start studying but using you book then move on to the exam papers after but if your confident with a topics don't waste time revising the whole chapter just do it in the exam papers :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement