Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mirage mentioned in last months sporting rifle mag

Options
  • 04-04-2017 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

I was flicking through this months Sporting rifle only to read that last month they looked at how mirage shifts your elevation.

I can understand the concept but I was disappointed I never seen the articl. I don't suppose anyone would care to elaborate on it here.

If not I'll stick up a wanted add for last months mag.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I didn't see the article. Are you asking how mirage can shift your poi in regards to elevation?

You say you understand the concept so excuse me if anything sees "stating the obvious".. As mirage rarely, at least in Ireland, just goes straight up (known as boil-boiling) it will generally move diagonally. Mirage is by it's very definition is a displacement of the light you see from an object. In shooting terms this means the target you see is not actually where you see it.

Depending on the direction and speed of the mirage if you are aiming at the bullseye and the mirage is moving say left to right then the bullseye you see will be "off" not only horizontally, but slightly vertically and so if you aim at this bullseye you'll find when you fire the shot that it may be high and right to the actual bull.

There is a common piece of advice in F-Class and that is to never shoot in a boil. Mirage is sometimes, depending on who you speak to, more accurate and better to use a wind reading tool. However in a boil where there is no obvious wind you cannot tell where the actual bull is and any shot may be "pot luck".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Cass thanks for the response as detailed as it is, it still doesn't tell me what was in last month edition. Lol.
    It prob doesn't say much more than your post but again it was the contents of the article that I really wanted to see.

As I said earlier, I'm fully au fait with all aspects of mirage theory but I was disappointed to have missed the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭shootemall

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ldc

Hi,
    I have the article and can scan it in and send to you. I note that you already have a PM from Shootemall which i presume is a similar scan. If not let me know and i will scan it for you.

shootemall wrote: »
    Pm sent

A gentleman of yh very highest order.. Thank you sir.

• Advertisement

ldc wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have the article and can scan it in and send to you. I note that you already have a PM from Shootemall which i presume is a similar scan. If not let me know and i will scan it for you.

Thank you also for your kind offer. I have since secured the article.

Many many thanks.

It's the little things that a big difference.

Advertisement