Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Irish oral help??

Options
  • 04-04-2017 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm pretty terrible at Irish and my school doesn't offer foundation level so I've been stuck in Ordinary. I don't know any of the Sraith pictuirs and I'm barely able to say a sentence in Irish. I'm unsure if i should even do the oral as I know I'll fail it and I don't need Irish for any of the courses I want anyway. The idea of actually failing the subject completely doesn't appeal to me and would it be possible to pass just off the written paper alone? I'm hopeful that I'll be able to sit the foundation level paper as a few girls in my class were saying that the school needs to have a few foundation papers on the day incase anyone changes their mind but I don't know if this is true or not? And if that is the case I'd be wasting my time doing the ordinary oral because it's different to the foundation one?? Can someone offer me advice because the oral is in 2 days and I don't know what to do?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Learn how to say your name, age, date of birth, where you live, and your exam number.

Then describe your family. Brothers, sisters, parents, oldest, youngest.

Be able to briefly describe your home and the area around it (shops, facilities, etc)

Know your school subjects in Irish. Say your favourite and why.

Then put together a few sentences about your favourite hobbies. That should be enough to get you through the conversation at pass level.

The poems look after themselves, really. With the Sraith Pictiúr, try your best to get two or three points per picture. Keep your verbs in the past tense.

The Scrúdú Béil is worth 40% of the whole thing. Treat it like a casual chat instead of an interview. Try to enjoy it. The examiner wants you to show them what you know.

You'd be putting yourself under awful pressure for the written section if you were trying to pass Irish without doing 2/5 of the exam.

I've been putting together a few notes on useful words and phrases here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057720907

Make the most of any resources you can get your hands on, and never give up.

Advertisement