Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season Finale Question (mild spoiler)

• 04-04-2017 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Simple question, was that the worst example of a shoot out on a TV show ever?

I am trying to think if I have ever seen a shoot out that bad on a TV show before and I am really struggling.

People were unloading on one another with assault rifles in an open area with minimum cover and very few get shot!!! Others who were holding assault rifles were running up to Rick's group to get shot point blank. There was even a person on a horse high above everyone else who was a clear target that nobody took a shot at.

FFS one guy only had an umbrella!!!

Was that the worst shoot out ever on a TV show? 20 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 20 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Would you not discuss this in the thread dedicated to the episode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

It was a shocking gun battle. Even in the Governor's second attack, they managed to kill one prison inhabitant (R.I.P. bearded guy).

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

MarkR wrote: »
    Would you not discuss this in the thread dedicated to the episode?

To be honest with you it was so bad I felt it needed its own thread and I am even wondering if I should start a similar poll in the main TV forum for the all time worst gun fights.

I don't have much tolerance for bad gun fights and it is one of the reasons I stopped watching Sons of Anarchy and Arrow but this was bad on a whole other level.

I mean Ricks group had automatic weapons pointed at them by two different groups, one of whom is Negan's crack squad of commandos, in broad daylight in a relatively enclosed space and still very few of Rick's group were killed or even shot.

Not to mentioned that as one or two people were unloading full clips from their assault rifles into the departing truck Negan, instead of ducking for cover, was calm enough to stick his hand out the window and given them the finger.

On another note, I was discussing with my wife if part of the reason Americans have so much trouble with guns and gun violence is because they see gun fights like this where despite the quantity of shots fired very few are hurt or killed and there is no real consequences. I know this is probably part of the bigger gun control argument but I think perhaps it might be a contributing factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Of all things in the show that you cant believe that gun fight was the only one that deserves its own thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

coL wrote: »
    To be honest with you it was so bad I felt it needed its own thread and I am even wondering if I should start a similar poll in the main TV forum for the all time worst gun fights.

I don't have much tolerance for bad gun fights and it is one of the reasons I stopped watching Sons of Anarchy and Arrow but this was bad on a whole other level.

I mean Ricks group had automatic weapons pointed at them by two different groups, one of whom is Negan's crack squad of commandos, in broad daylight in a relatively enclosed space and still very few of Rick's group were killed or even shot.

Not to mentioned that as one or two people were unloading full clips from their assault rifles into the departing truck Negan, instead of ducking for cover, was calm enough to stick his hand out the window and given them the finger.

On another note, I was discussing with my wife if part of the reason Americans have so much trouble with guns and gun violence is because they see gun fights like this where despite the quantity of shots fired very few are hurt or killed and there is no real consequences. I know this is probably part of the bigger gun control argument but I think perhaps it might be a contributing factor.

Funnily enough, most bullets fired in combat are wide of the mark
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killology

But the scene really was terrible and devoid of tension.

• Advertisement

Of all things in the show that you cant believe that gun fight was the only one that deserves its own thread?

Let's just say it was the straw that broke the camels back.

Its a show about zombies so to a certain extent there is an element of suspension of disbelief on my part watching it but the shoot out was just too bad to be taken remotely seriously. In the context of the show (its a show about a zombie apocalypse after all) I just found the shoot out too hard to swallow.

I also have a massive issue with the inconsistent logic and physics of the show where zombies are either eggshell soft or terminator tough depending on what the plot requires but that is a dangerous topic that seems to set people off so I wont go there.

Funnily enough, most bullets fired in combat are wide of the mark
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killology

But the scene really was terrible and devoid of tension.

I accept that most assault rifles are widely acknowledged as being highly inaccurate particularly when fired in sustained bursts but at one stage Morgan ran out of bullets and started using his staff.

I think it was Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid where the famous line "Bringing a knife to a gun fight" came from but bringing a freaking staff to a automatic weapon fight!!!! I mean come on WTF

Plus Rick and his gang seemed to be doing ok making their shots count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

it was terrible, its a shame really the show usually gets the big battle episodes right. if they cannot them right its in big trouble.

Way of the gun ending shootout(2000 movie) , what it should look like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think even the A-Team had a better hit ratio back in the 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

When they went to Ocean side and the walkers came they had pretty much one shot kills,at Alexandria they turned into the A team,bullets everywhere and people managing to run through a hail of fire unscathed.Daryl is a crack shot yet seemed to just shoot fresh air despite emptying magazines. We should have seen more carnage than 3 or 4 dead and one of them fell off a balcony.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I think even the A-Team had a better hit ratio back in the 80s.
    Hell, Imperial Stormtroopers had a better hit ratio back in the 70's.

2a823fe7479b6536c6ee764911bc028d1980d3fb9668e176791e2cf8cd178a6d_1.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

coL wrote:
    I am trying to think if I have ever seen a shoot out that bad on a TV show before and I am really struggling.

You obviously havnt watched sons of anarchy

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    You obviously havnt watched sons of anarchy

Oh I have :( and like I said in my one of my other posts the bad shoot outs, among other things, was one of the reasons why I stopped watching it. Even SOA never seemed as bad as the shoot out in that season finale.

Advertisement