Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of Tenant

Options
  • 04-04-2017 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

As the title says, I need to get rid of my tenant. She has regular issues paying rent, started paying weekly, then went monthly and now back to weekly. Just noticed that I'm missing 2 weeks rent from earlier this year and no rent has been paid the last two weeks.
    I see that I have to send a 14 day warning notice and follow it up with a Notice to Quit. The tenant has been in the house for over 3 years. Am I correct in saying that the notice to quit period is 84 days?
    So how do I manage to get the tenant to pay rent for the next 3 months?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

RTB have all the information you need.

https://www.rtb.ie/dispute-resolution/dispute-resolution/terminating-a-tenancy-for-rent-arrears
    https://www.rtb.ie/dispute-resolution/dispute-resolution/sample-notices-of-termination

You will give a 14 warning, followed up by a 28 day notice of termination. The 84 days won't apply in the case of a breach of a tenants obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

In reality, you have no way of collecting the 3months rent, nor indeed the missed weeks, if they choose not to pay.
    Hopefully they will pay (even if only to get staying a bit longer) and hopefully they agree to leave at the end of the period .......

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

Go through the steps to evict and hopefully they will start paying.
    Even if they do pay , you probably better off booting them when the part4 ends after 4 years anyway.
    Get yourself a good tenant then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Thanks for clarifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Be careful here there is a tolerable window for rent being late even if regular.

But issue a demand for the missing two weeks first and to re-enforce the payment frequency. If it goes to the RTB you can show you tried to remedy the situation before making the decision to terminate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭surrender monkey

Op if you are serving the 14 day notice of rent arrears followed by the 28 day notice to quit make sure you leave clear days I.e post the notice on the 1st then the 14 days only start on the 2nd. Serve the 28 day notice on the 16th and wait to leave 28 clear days. It's a mistake that lots of landlords make and the RTB are not forgiving they will make you start the whole process again regardless of whether you are being paid rent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

It isn't a notice to quit, it is a notice of termination.

Advertisement