Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning: Just got €100 bill for using 1.8TB download.

Options
2»

Comments

geraardo wrote: »
    "Another crazy thing I only discovered today is they have now enabled Guest Wifi on everyone's Broadband router, that now means anyone who has an Eir Broadband account can log onto your network using wifi and access your broadband.  Eir claim this does not effect your Broadband usage"

Is this actually happening? maybe thats why the op's usage was way over the top.
    Yes.... they dont log on to your network. they log into a completely separate and dedicated WAN for this purpose but using your router, yes. .... Also they can't see anything, IP's, clients, nothing at all like that, and no, it should not affect your broadband speed and nothing that anyone on this network downloads contributes to your allowances

BTW it works both ways meaning as an Eir customer you could log in to another one of these networks when out and about etc

OP do you have Eir TV maybe?
    Not quite.

If you are receiving the maximum broadband speeds available on your existing network then its obviously going to effect your own broadband speed when someone logs onto your router and downloads.

The WAN maybe separate but it still coming from your Broadband router and your Broadband connection.

As for security, I wouldn't trust Eir with anything, it wasn't long ago that their DSL Broadband routers had vulnerabilities and the Eir only became aware of this by reading it online.  Now they are giving access to your router to the Public?  No thanks.

You cant turn it off using myeir, something I have already done but its damn right disgraceful that they already enabled this without mine or others peoples permission.

[font=Georgia, Verdana, Arial]Eir only became aware of potential security breach after reading about it online[/font]
    http://www.thejournal.ie/eir-modem-hack-3122232-Dec2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I logged onto the F2000 router I have after reading the above and the Guest network is not enabled

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If you left Netflix constantly streaming for the month, you wouldn't use half that. 

You're using 2.5GB AN HOUR for a WHOLE MONTH

That for me would fall outside anyone's definition of fair usage.
    Not if you are a gamer. Most modern PS4, XboxOne, PC games are 40-70gb (when you include all the updates and DLC). So downloading only 20 games would use your 1TB. If you had been trapped in a poor internet area for years then you are going to want to download and update all your games. 

When you consider Eir now sell a fiber product that lets you download 1TB of data in 2-3 hours the limit seems odd. 

Now that will be a one off, you won't be downloading 20 games every month, but a fair use policy should come with a fair use warning letter the first time you pass the limit to let you know there is a limit, which is not very clear when you are buying broadband with a unlimited download limit. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I logged onto the F2000 router I have after reading the above and the Guest network is not enabled
    Can i ask how you do this, what settings when i login to my router would i find this, thanks.

Advertisement