Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart TV for an IOS user

Options
  • 04-04-2017 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

TV is due an upgrade so in the market for a tv ... and since Apple clearly have abandoned the idea to getting into the Smart tv ... just looking for any body who has experience of TV OS's as an ios user?

I know there is the Apple TV .. but I think Apple missed a trick not joining the TV world.

The main players (for me anyhow) are
    LG ... WebOS 3
    Sony .... Android TV

Anybody have experience of Android TV as an iOS user?

Thoughts/recommendations welcome!
    Keith.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I thought people only used the most basic functions on a smart TV like a browser, youtube, netflix - at most.

Does a built in OS really matter when you can connect any number of devices running a proper OS to what is essentially a big monitor with HDMI inputs?

What are you planning on doing with the TV's OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Dades wrote: »
    I thought people only used the most basic functions on a smart TV like a browser, youtube, netflix - at most.

Does a built in OS really matter when you can connect any number of devices running a proper OS to what is essentially a big monitor with HDMI inputs?

With TVs ... Software will become as important as the hardware! Trying to futureproof as much as possible.

What will I use?
    Neflix, Players
    Have a Pi running Kodi ... so was planning on replacing that by running Kodi on the tv.
    If I manage to ditch Sky ... even more.

I was looking for an iOS angle on Android TV .. any use to an iOS device.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Dades wrote: »

Pretty much this. Honestly your better off with your tv being as dumb as Possible. We've Sony's and the most we'd use them for is netflix. Even that tends to crash quite frequently... I'm guessing a memory leak is the issue.

Pretty much this. Honestly your better off with your tv being as dumb as Possible. We've Sony's and the most we'd use them for is netflix. Even that tends to crash quite frequently... I'm guessing a memory leak is the issue.

Interesting ... the old hardware spec struggling to run software angle .... "Smart" is standard these days however! :D

But I guess you have the choice to use it or not .... I will not be relying on it ... Have an ATV2 and Pi ... but could move them to other room.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

My concern about smart TVs is that manufacturers are as terrible at updating and fixing software on them as they used to be at designing and calibrating firmware on dumb TVs. I find buying a new TV a stressful enough experience without also having to consider whatever lousy software they have running on them as well.

• Advertisement

My concern about smart TVs is that manufacturers are as terrible at updating and fixing software on them as they used to be at designing and calibrating firmware on dumb TVs. I find buying a new TV a stressful enough experience without also having to consider whatever lousy software they have running on them as well.

I am guessing the hardware/tv will long outlive the software/os within the tv if that makes sense.

Again I will dependent on the TV part ... but can replace the Smart part with peripherals. I suppose the TV manufacturers see the Smart element as a way of getting consumers to upgrade more often.

Again ... strange that Apple backed away from it ... as it seems that there is a lot of money to be made with this angle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Televisions are a pretty low margin business and TV manufacturers generally treat features as something to fill up bullet points on the marketing. They put very little effort into them and often can't even explain them. To do the smart TV well, as I'm sure Apple could have, would have proved too expensive. On top of this, they would have had to convince people to upgrade every 2-3 years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I upgraded my TV last year and could see no value in it being smart at all. I think anyone with a grasp of how to use peripherals (such as Pi etc) can bypass it altogether. I use a Roku stick, XBox, Flash Drive, MacBook etc. to feed it content. There's no Smart TV OS that's going to cover everything.

Even if there was a slick OS on any of the TVs on the market, it would, as suggested, become outdated long before the hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

A smart TV is as useful as a factory installed sat nav in a car. It will be great when it's new and as soon as the updates and tech moves on .. it will never be used.

I have a sat nav in a 6 year old car and it is so outdated and sluggish to use .. google maps on the phone is the answer .. with CarPlay on the car i've just ordered i'd say the factory Sat nav will never be used.

I have two smart TVs and I would say after a week or two I never used any of the smart TV functions as I have appleTVs and a wireless Miracast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I have a Sony TVs with Android OS and it gets very heavy usage in fairness. I think it's great and being able to control TV, Netflix & Kodi with 1 remote is a big plus. I may eventually need to buy a box or stick to use with the to but for now at least that's definitely not necessary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I have a Sony TV with Android OS and it gets very heavy usage in fairness. I think it's great and being able to control TV, Netflix & Kodi with 1 remote is a big plus. I may eventually need to buy a box or stick to use with the to but for now at least that's definitely not necessary

Smart TVs before Android OS were very clunky and not worth bothering with. Android OS is definitely a massive step in the right direction though

L'prof wrote: »
    I have a Sony TV with Android OS and it gets very heavy usage in fairness. I think it's great and being able to control TV, Netflix & Kodi with 1 remote is a big plus. I may eventually need to buy a box or stick to use with the to but for now at least that's definitely not necessary

Smart TVs before Android OS were very clunky and not worth bothering with. Android OS is definitely a massive step in the right direction though

This is why I may pick the Sony ... Smart is standard anyhow on a new tv. It's a good TV hardware wise - Android TV is a bonus.

I do think Android TV is going places .... even for iOS users.
    When it slows (in time) - back to peripherals .. which can be recycled (Pi and Apple TV2 which I use for Netflix currently) to the other room for the time being.
    I won't get 4K from an ATV2 anyhow. Just realised current ATV doesn't support 4K either?!

WebOs (LG) - could be a deadend OS over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,465 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

L'prof wrote: »

Have the Sony bravia Android tv and I think it's great. It has a built-in chromecast and has a lot of apps you can install on it (through the google store or apk files from a USB key). Had a problem with it remembering my wifi connection but my modem was the problem it seemed

Outside of Android smart TV systems from Samsung/LG 2014-upwards are very good and offer a lot of useful apps. Older smart tvs from 2013-2009 are a bit outdated now and quite slow

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Ive a Sony Android TV also and it gets a lot of use to be fair, Built in chromecast, Kodi, mobdro, showbox, Digital and Sat tuner along with Netflix and playstore some of the highlights from it. Since I purchased it in Dec 2016, Ive have 2 new software releases for it also.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Ive a Sony Android TV also and it gets a lot of use to be fair, Built in chromecast, Kodi, mobdro, showbox, Digital and Sat tuner along with Netflix and playstore some of the highlights from it. Since I purchased it in Dec 2016, Ive have 2 new software releases for it also.

Side question ... Is latest kodi (V17) running ok on it?
    Have heard there are issues

I've got it installed on it ok, but tbh I haven't used it that much, I get most use from showbox which runs flawlessly on it. I've a few other apps installed for iptv and things like that, so Kodi isn't that important for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Hi all,

TV is due an upgrade so in the market for a tv ... and since Apple clearly have abandoned the idea to getting into the Smart tv ... just looking for any body who has experience of TV OS's as an ios user?

I know there is the Apple TV .. but I think Apple missed a trick not joining the TV world.

The main players (for me anyhow) are
    LG ... WebOS 3
    Sony .... Android TV

Anybody have experience of Android TV as an iOS user?

Thoughts/recommendations welcome!
    Keith.

Get an Apple TV 4th generation

Then install an IPTV APP or Kodi - Or both

If you want Kodi to be put on your Apple TV, it is simple and straight forward. No jailbreak and it lasts as long as you pay 2euro a month or 18euro a year.

http://www.koditvbox.ca

Been using this for 2 months and smooth as a bell.

forget Smart TV. As they said, they don't update them and they are awful at software.

EDIt: If you want more info just send a PM. This isn't a typical kodi hack, it's just a clever way of having KODI on Apple TV using developer account.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The new Panasonics with the Firefox os are very nice. It's miles ahead of the other TVs os systems as in looks functionality and speed. Must check it out some more to see reviews on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Blazer wrote: »
    The new Panasonics with the Firefox os are very nice. It's miles ahead of the other TVs os systems as in looks functionality and speed. Must check it out some more to see reviews on it.

Balls, Mozilla have abandoned the OS. Panasonic are going it alone as it's open source but they have previous form in abandoning customers.
    Looks like android TV is the only real game in town.
    But to be honest most are them are crap anyway. Better off to buy a dedicated box like nvidia shield etc and use that instead of the TVs for apps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I was shopping for a new TV last year and my choice came down to the same two TV's.

I went with an LG smart 4K TV, one of the main reasons was to simplify my setup. Had a chrome cast mostly for YouTube and Apple TV that was rarely used for RTE player and airplay. Now both of them are gone as YouTube is built in (with 4K support) and so is rte player. I rarely used airplay so not a big deal.

I went with the LG webOS, but it was mainly down to price reasons as the Sony models with Android were a lot more expensive and there wasn't a wide selection with the different models at the time. I have a pi with Kodi at the moment but would of liked Android with its built in support.

Really happy with the tv though, webOS is probably the best tv OS available right now, some of the extra features such as split screen can be very helpful at times.

I went with smart mainly to reduce clutter and for the added features. Can't say how well it will be supported down the line but it's had a few updates so far and some added features. Only downside is not a great selection of apps from lg compared to Android.

• Advertisement

As I've said previously, my Sony Android have had numerous updates since I purchased it. Android 7.0 can be put on to it also, I've currently 6.1 on it I think. Plenty of cheap android boxes still only come with 4.4 on them and they work fine. So there's plenty of life left in Android TV's yet.

OP here ...

Went for a Sony Bravia 4k ... set got good reviews but ultimately it was Android TV which swung me towards Sony.

Very impressed with Android tv ... fast, smooth and handy having everything on the same device. No cable clutter either.

Have 4k content available through Netflix and Amazon. And Kodi works as well as it did on the Pi. YouTube and Spotify decent too. Casting works on a few iOS apps also

Only thing I am missing from the Apple TV is airplay (for the odd time I use it).
    It's available on Kodi but haven't managed to get It working yet

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Only thing I am missing from the Apple TV is airplay (for the odd time I use it).
    It's available on Kodi but haven't managed to get It working yet

I always wished Apple would make an Airplay dongle, like chrome cast but just offering the airplay capabilities. I don't need an Apple TV just the airplay feature.

And afaik, Kodi doesn't support airplay streaming of video. Think it was after iOS 7 Apple made some changes which broke video streaming. Think it still supports audio only.

That was last time I check, haven't tried since but haven't read about anything changing either. It's a pity it wasn't a more open standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

DubDJ wrote: »
    I always wished Apple would make an Airplay dongle, like chrome cast but just offering the airplay capabilities. I don't need an Apple TV just the airplay feature.

And afaik, Kodi doesn't support airplay streaming of video. Think it was after iOS 7 Apple made some changes which broke video streaming. Think it still supports audio only.

That was last time I check, haven't tried since but haven't read about anything changing either. It's a pity it wasn't a more open standard.

It is fine now. It was an issue with many third party Apps but Apple made a mistake there and and apologized. I'll try and find an article link.

you need to go into Kodi and turn on AirPlay feature. ( krypton is off by default )

However, you can put Kodi on natively on an Apple tv now for 1.95 a month, or 18 a year. Been using this for 2 months and it's flawless.

That's cool,

I never really followed up but it was around in the Gotham days and I never tried it much after that. I've a Raspberry Pi so I'm gonna give it a go to see if it works ok.

Advertisement