Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn renovation program

Options
  • 04-04-2017 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering could someone sanity check the following plan I have.

There are patches of moss and broad leaf weeds in my lawn. Lawn size is approx 3000sqm.

1. Dicophar the broad leaf weeds.
    2. 1 week later iron sulphate the lawn to kill off moss
    3. Scarify lawn with petrol scarifier.
    4. Reseed with a damp tolerant variety grass seed http://www.lawnsmith.co.uk/prod/lawn-grass-seed/shadygreen-lawn-grass-seed.htm
    5. Fertilise newly laid seed and existing grass.
    6. Enjoy temporary respite from moss.

I have most of the equipment bar a broadcast spreader (anyone know a good one that you can dial in spread rates rahter than just hold the handle back and hope you have it correct?) and will be hiring the scarifier.

Soil type is acidic with clay just below the top soil with poor drainage in parts (bog cotton pops up in places).

I absolutely know that it's the drainage and acid soil type that's the key to the whole moss issue but sorting that will have to take a back seat until more pressing issues are looked after. It's far too expensive to even consider now.

So is there anything I am missing or are the steps out of order, am I tackling this at the wrong time of year?

Cheers,
    R.

Advertisement