If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading my 10 year old Plasma

Options
  • 04-04-2017 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

My Panasonic 42 inch Plasma is being retired to the "other" room ... So looking for guidance/advice on a replacement. 

Firstly size ... given bezel area is very small these days .. was thinking of going 55 inch? The room is a decent size and physical dimensions of the modern tv don't seem all that bigger than the old 42 inch. 

Next ... OLED - would love to jump to that ... but way too expensive at the moment. 

HDR ... from what I have read a must! 

OS .... Am an iOS user - but also a Kodi user ... so Android TV does look appealing.

Budget ... around the €1k would be my max

Sound ... not a biggie .. .use my NAD amp and Missions floorstanders (bought from yourselves back in the day) ... but am sure I would need an optical to rca convertor?

Anything else I should factor in? 

Thoughts/Recommendations welcome

Thanks!
    Keith.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Hi there,

My Panasonic 42 inch Plasma is being retired to the "other" room ... So looking for guidance/advice on a replacement. 

Firstly size ... given bezel area is very small these days .. was thinking of going 55 inch? The room is a decent size and physical dimensions of the modern tv don't seem all that bigger than the old 42 inch. 

Next ... OLED - would love to jump to that ... but way too expensive at the moment. 

OS .... Am an iOS user - but also a Kodi user ... so Android TV does look appealing.

Sound ... not a biggie .. .use my NAD amp and Missions floorstanders (bought from yourselves back in the day) ... but am sure I would need an optical to rca convertor?

Thanks!
    Keith.
    Hi Keith,

The OLEDs really are the best TVs I've seen this year but if you're looking for a good LED with 4K, HDR and Android you can't beat the Sonys.

A good start would be the Sony KD55XD8005 at 1049 Euro:

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202227-bravia-kd55xd8005.aspx

However the one I would really recommend would be the Sony KD55XD8599. This is a great TV with a much better panel, great definition and a faster refresh speed meaning a smoother picture. It's a little more out of the budget at 1249 Euro but if you're replacing a Plasma it has great black levels and the motion processing is very good for an LED:

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201902-bravia-kd55xd8599.aspx#tabSpecifications-tab?swapstore=1

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Hi there,

Thanks!
    Keith.
    Hi Keith,

The OLEDs really are the best TVs I've seen this year but if you're looking for a good LED with 4K, HDR and Android you can't beat the Sonys.

However the one I would really recommend would be the Sony KD55XD8599. This is a great TV with a much better panel, great definition and a faster refresh speed meaning a smoother picture. It's a little more out of the budget at 1249 Euro but if you're replacing a Plasma it has great black levels and the motion processing is very good for an LED:

http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201902-bravia-kd55xd8599.aspx#tabSpecifications-tab?swapstore=1

Kind regards

David
    Hi David,

Thanks for the reply ... had it down to LG Vs Sony .. and Android TV was swinging me towards Sony.

Is this it from the Sony site .. Link
    Besides refresh rate - Is the second one a VA type panel?

If it is ... I see there is a 2017 refresh coming .. the X85E - when do they usually arrive to yourselves ... and do they come in more expensive at the start of the "refresh" year and drop?

As usual with tech .. I am trying to future-proof as much as possible here within a reasonable budget.

The consensus out there (from my couple of day's research) seems to be that VA > IPS panel? 

Is that the best price you can do for me David?  

Thanks!
    Keith. 

Hi there,

Thanks!
    Keith.
    Hi Keith,

Kind regards

David
    Hi David,

Thanks for the reply ... had it down to LG Vs Sony .. and Android TV was swinging me towards Sony.

Is this it from the Sony site .. Link
    Besides refresh rate - Is the second one a VA type panel?

If it is ... I see there is a 2017 refresh coming .. the X85E - when do they usually arrive to yourselves ... and do they come in more expensive at the start of the "refresh" year and drop?

As usual with tech .. I am trying to future-proof as much as possible here within a reasonable budget.

The consensus out there (from my couple of day's research) seems to be that VA > IPS panel? 

Is that the best price you can do for me David?  

Thanks!
    Keith. 
    Hi Keith,

I will have to look into the new Sony XE85 and check the panel type as I haven't seen the full specs for them yet (your link won't open). They are due mid April and usually hold a higher value for the first few months but I don't have an idea of the price yet. VA vs IPA really depends on what you're using the TV for it seems. The VAs work really well in low light rooms for home cinema but for a bright room with different viewing angles the IPS are better panels.

That would be the best price I'm afraid.

I hope you've found this information useful.

Kind regards

David

Hi Keith,

I will have to look into the new Sony XE85 and check the panel type as I haven't seen the full specs for them yet (your link won't open). They are due mid April and usually hold a higher value for the first few months but I don't have an idea of the price yet. VA vs IPA really depends on what you're using the TV for it seems. The VAs work really well in low light rooms for home cinema but for a bright room with different viewing angles the IPS are better panels.

That would be the best price I'm afraid.

I hope you've found this information useful.

Kind regards

David
    Hi again David! 

If there is no room on price ... Do you sell at sterling price? 
    Do you offer a boards discount?

Also with any potential warranty issues ... would I be dealing Sony or yourselves? 

Thanks again! 
    Keith. 

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Keith,

thanks for the posts and yep, you can purchase online or instore from us in either Sterling or Euro - whichever currency works out best for you.

There are very few differences in the XE / XD '85' series this year but at launch there will be quite a price premium with the current XD series KD55XD8599 coming in at £999 whilst the new KD55XE8596 / 8577 will launch at £1399 / €1699.

We can do the KD55XD8599 at £999 and we can reduce the euro pricing to E1199:
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201902-bravia-kd55xd8599.aspx

Thanks again and don't hesitate to drop me a line if we can assist in any way,

Best regards,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Hi Keith,

thanks for the posts and yep, you can purchase online or instore from us in either Sterling or Euro - whichever currency works out best for you.

There are very few differences in the XE / XD '85' series this year but at launch there will be quite a price premium with the current XD series KD55XD8599 coming in at £999 whilst the new KD55XE8596 / 8577 will launch at £1399 / €1699.

Best regards,

John Mc & Crew
    Thanks for the update John!

The current series is fine so :).... can't justify the extra £400 on the 2017 model

Some final questions ....

How does warranty work if there is an issue? Do I deal with Sony or yourselves? And if I have to send set back .. who fits the bill for courier costs etc.? 

Is this fully compatible with Saorview?

To hook up to an Analog amp - is the 3.5 mm output ok for that? Or do I need to get a Optical to RCA convertor? 

Thanks again!
    Keith. 

Hi Keith,

Best regards,

John Mc & Crew

The current series is fine so :).... can't justify the extra £400 on the 2017 model

How does warranty work if there is an issue? Do I deal with Sony or yourselves? And if I have to send set back .. who fits the bill for courier costs etc.? 

To hook up to an Analog amp - is the 3.5 mm output ok for that? Or do I need to get a Optical to RCA convertor? 

Thanks again!
    Keith. 
    Hi Again Keith,

We offer a full 6 year warranty with that Sony KD55XD8599 - we handle the service from start to finish if its required - on some models Sony do cover us for 6 years but we handle all the paperwork and logistics for you and Sony even within the first 5 years - we are pretty unique in that our 6 year warranty on all screens over 37" covers NI AND the ROI!!  On your 55" TV you will not have any costs to send it back to us - we will send a courier or an engineer out to you in the event of any manufacturing fault to either repair in-house or to collect and repair at an authorised repair centre.

In terms of Saorview - ALL our TV's are fully Saorview ready - we don't 'grey' import any TV's out of mainland Europe which may not be ready for Saorview - all our TV stocks are fully ready to go for Saorview and UK Freeview.

In terms of analogue outputs - now you're in trouble :D - from memory the KD55XD8599 does have a headphone output - but I think that will kill the internal speakers AND it will give you a variable rather than a fixed output which isn't ideal for an analogue amp - you would be better off using the optical output and a decent Optical to Analogue converter like the CYP AUD3 which is a cracking little unit :):

http://www.richersounds.ie/p-10999-aud3-192.aspx

Happy to do a package price on the bundle if you need them both..

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi Keith,

Best regards,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks again!
    Keith. 
    Hi Again Keith,

We offer a full 6 year warranty with that Sony KD55XD8599 - we handle the service from start to finish if its required - on some models Sony do cover us for 6 years but we handle all the paperwork and logistics for you and Sony even within the first 5 years - we are pretty unique in that our 6 year warranty on all screens over 37" covers NI AND the ROI!!  On your 55" TV you will not have any costs to send it back to us - we will send a courier or an engineer out to you in the event of any manufacturing fault to either repair in-house or to collect and repair at an authorised repair centre.

In terms of Saorview - ALL our TV's are fully Saorview ready - we don't 'grey' import any TV's out of mainland Europe which may not be ready for Saorview - all our TV stocks are fully ready to go for Saorview and UK Freeview.

In terms of analogue outputs - now you're in trouble :D - from memory the KD55XD8599 does have a headphone output - but I think that will kill the internal speakers AND it will give you a variable rather than a fixed output which isn't ideal for an analogue amp - you would be better off using the optical output and a decent Optical to Analogue converter like the CYP AUD3 which is a cracking little unit :):

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 
    That's great John thanks! 

Makes total sense about the 3.5 mm output!

Yeah please give me your "bestest boards repeat customer" package price (bought Nad amp, Mission floorstanders and a Sony minidisc player from your Dublin store back in the day - amp and speakers are still going strong!

Thanks!
    Keith. 

Hi Keith,

Best regards,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks again!
    Keith. 
    Hi Again Keith,

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 
    That's great John thanks! 

Makes total sense about the 3.5 mm output!

Yeah please give me your "bestest boards repeat customer" package price :rolleyes: (bought Nad amp, Mission floorstanders and a Sony minidisc player from your Dublin store back in the day - amp and speakers are still going strong!

Thanks!
    Keith. 

...Damn the expense - we will throw in the CYP Optical to Analogue converter if you are purchasing the TV :D

Our generosity knows no bounds :D

( you will need an optical cable tho ;) )

http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201446-hqss4623-15m.aspx

(..if you don't have one in a dusty drawer somewhere..)

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Advertisement

...Damn the expense - we will throw in the CYP Optical to Analogue converter if you are purchasing the TV :D

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Great thanks John .... don't have an optical cable either ... good shout! 

Do I order online ... or via phone?

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Great thanks John .... don't have an optical cable either ... good shout! 

Do I order online ... or via phone?
    Hey Keith_d99

If you drop me your contact number in a PM I can give you a buzz for the order :D

Hey Keith_d99

If you drop me your contact number in a PM I can give you a buzz for the order :D
    PM sent Kenny

Hey Keith_d99

PM sent Kenny
    Hey Keith.

You have posted it on my public message board :eek:

Quickly delete it in case it might fall into the wrong hands!

Hey Keith_d99

PM sent Kenny
    Hey Keith.

Done! :)

Hey Keith_d99

PM sent Kenny
    Hey Keith.

Done! :)
    Cheers Keith :D

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.