Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The rudeness of RTE when contacted by phone

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Comhra wrote: »
    That's what the lady wrote in her email. Says something about the esteem in which they hold their listeners salary-payers.

Oh, she also explained that if you lose your reception, there is an outage......highly technical, that.
    Aye, but there's a difference between an unplanned outage, such as equipment failure and a planned outage to perform and upgrade or some maintenance. The latter is normally communicated and managed.

Jodotman wrote: »
    Get them off the phone as quick as possible. So basically yes. It's not my job to explain the technical reason behind it non I.T people. Once I give thell them we are aware of the issue and the estimated fix time that's it. If they keep yapping I say I have to go now and bye and hang up the phone.

It's the only way to deal with difficult people.

Re-read the OP again, thats not what the woman on the phone did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

It's in post #26:

Eh no its not. That reply relates to LW transmissions.

The actual answer to your question is in Karsini's post.#41

No wonder RTE dont give out technical explanations if people cant distinguish what medium they are using for the stations they are listening too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭Comhrá

STB. wrote: »
    Eh no its not. That reply relates to LW transmissions.

The actual answer to your question is in Karsini's post.#41

No wonder RTE dont give out technical explanations if people cant distinguish what medium they are using for the stations they are listening too.

I'm just quoting the reply I received from RTE. I thought people who had read the thread had realised it was the FM transmitter the sender meant and that LW was a typo. Maybe it's yourself who can't (or doesn't want to) distinguish the facts here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Please also note Aertel page 169 is available for service issues.
    I wouldn't even know where to put the coal in. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think the 2rn Twitter page might be a good alternative to Aertel for service outages.

https://twitter.com/2rnNMC

Anything but Aertel...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think the 2rn Twitter page for network outage info might be a better alternative to Aertel for service outages.

https://twitter.com/2rnNMC

Anything but Aertel...

I'm just quoting the reply I received from RTE. I thought people who had read the thread had realised it was the FM transmitter the sender meant and that LW was a typo. Maybe it's yourself who can't (or doesn't want to) distinguish the facts here.

Assumptions, so many assumptions.

https://twitter.com/2rnNMC/status/849190840668913664

Typo or not (it wasn't) you accepted it as the explanation. The LW TX was off today from 9.30am til 6.30pm.

I'd know the difference between an FM TX and a LW TX.

PS. Your rant was a tad OTT. Technical Information is normally restricted to words like "maintenance works" and "essential repairs". Getting into the nitty gritty of taking down TX sites is only of interest to broadcast engineers and anoraks.

STB. wrote: »
    Assumptions, so many assumptions.

https://twitter.com/2rnNMC/status/849190840668913664

Typo or not (it wasn't) you accepted it as the explanation.

I'd know the difference between an FM TX and a LW TX.

PS. Your rant was a tad OTT. Technical Information is normally restricted to words like "maintenance works" and "essential repairs". Getting into the nitty gritty of taking down TX sites is only of interest to broadcast engineers and anoraks.

Check your facts and read post #3 and you'll see I mentioned the outage on FM.
    Originally Posted by Karsini View Post
    Is this due to the 252 outage?

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/desktopxhtml/169-4.html

What number did you call out of interest? 01 208 2259 usually gets you through to the tech people. But I agree, RTE can be difficult to deal with.

No, it's an FM outage in the Limerick area (89.4mhz) Went off at 10 am and still off as I type at 11am.

Where did I accept it was the LW tx that was down? If you want to have a go at me, try and at least get your facts right before posting.

• Advertisement

Check your facts and read post #3 and you'll see I mentioned the outage on FM.

Oh I know your outage was on FM.

Where did I accept it was the LW tx that was down? If you want to have a go at me, try and at least get your facts right before posting.

When you said in response to the question posed by gordongekko.
    Received an explanation for the outage eventually so no need to contact Newstalk.
    Are you going to share the reason with us?

with
    It's in post #26:
    There is ongoing work today on the LW transmitter,it started at 9 a.m and the information I have here tells me it will last for 9 hours, apologies for the inconvenience. Unfortunately it is not possible to make announcements re the break in service, we have asked that this be possible and have been told that it causes too much confusion.Suffice to say if you lose your reception there is an outage.

Please also note Aertel page 169 is available for service issues.

It is you who needs to read. It is you who needs to get your facts right "before you post". The reference to LW was not a typo.

LW TX at Summerhill was down today.

If you cant read your own posts then I cannot help you any further.

I hope your phone manner is not as bad as the dismissive nature of your posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Further to the break-down of RTE radio 1 transmissions this morning, I decided to phone RTE to see if there was any information forthcoming, I spoke with a very rude, dismissive lady who replied with "thank you for calling, I'll pass on your report" and she duly hung up without further ado.

You gave them the information about the fault, she thanked you, said she'd pass it on and hung up. Don't see anything rude there. I think you rang up looking for an argument, and you were annoyed that you didn't get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I think I might know the problem, from what I heard, there are a group of slightly dotty anorak types who bombard RTE with phone calls every time lw goes off so most likely the woman on the phone thought you were one of them ?

Will yi send me out a few stickers and Aengus Macanally's autograph? On an 8x4?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

Jebus. I'd hate to be taking a flight with Comhra. News of a technical delay leads to Comhra demanding a one to one chat with the engineers and pilots.

Anyway, RX loud & clear from Woodcock Hill today.

Nice to see the Newstalk signal seems to be boosted a little too...volume there was sub-par recently. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Anyway, RX loud & clear from Woodcock Hill today.

Nice to see the Newstalk signal seems to be boosted a little too...volume there was sub-par recently. :)

But do we know the technical reason for the improvement?

• Advertisement

But do we know the technical reason for the improvement?

I'd phone them to ask but maybe they'd be cross with me.

Seriously though, they had an announcement on RTE 1 this morning to the effect that there may be further outages today, so I have to give them credit there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I'd phone them to ask but maybe they'd be cross with me.

Seriously though, they had an announcement on RTE 1 this morning to the effect that there may be further outages today, so I have to give them credit there.

Why would newstalk be cross with you. Surely you won't ring rte to ask for the technical reason newstalk is sounding better today than yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

OP I really can't see what the big problem is whatsoever.

RTE is a massive organisation and I can only imagine that the lady you spoke to is constantly answering calls that have absolutely nothing to do with her. You probably got her at a bad time and she had enough.What's the need for the big hulabaloo?

To be honest, your tone in the OP is a bit self-entitled and if you came across like that in the phonecall, I don't blame her for getting extra pissed off with you.

Why the hell would RTE provide a service for an engineer to explain the technical process behind a fault to every self-entitled Tom Dick and Harry that ring up?

Advertisement