Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cavan - Questions re waste & other services

Options
  • 04-04-2017 11:11am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    I'll be moving to Cavan this Summer so need to arrange for waste collection. Anyone know what options are available in the area around Ballinagh/Cornafean/Arva?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Wilton Waste collects around Arva, there's another crowd as well, Ill look them up tomorrow.

More important, who are you going to use for broadband? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Oh, tell me about it, its a complete hinterland for web access.
    I'll be getting back to my offline roots fairly quickly!

Gaspode wrote: »
    Oh, tell me about it, its a complete hinterland for web access.
    I'll be getting back to my offline roots fairly quickly!

If you have "line of sight" of the mountain at Ballyconnell, Arden Broad band works OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Bins.

Cavan Waste, as long as you don't live on a road the bin won't fit or will required them to drive a distance to turn around, otherwise they'll ask you to get fellow neighbours on board to make the turn worthwhile or you can drag your bins to a more convenient location for them to pick up.

Wilton Waste: As you can see from above I moved to this years ago, fantastic service, 4 bins in total, online waste tracking (Maybe the above have that now too) and invoicing that you can chip away with and with the text service you know when collection is and when your bills are due, its a really good service and have no issue taking extra rubbish like cardboard unlike the other crowd above.

Broad Band.

Welcome to the 1990's.

Arden: Line of sight required
    Vodefone: Actually pretty decent 4g dongle service if you can get the signal.
    Imagine: Rolling out 30mb min unlimited across the county, again its kind of line of site but could be suitable.
    QSat: Requires a international space station sized dish on the side of your house, extremely poor quality along with useless customer service.
    Other mobile providers: Ranges from poor to very poor to ok, vodafone really have the county covered the best
    Land Line connection: Depending on your location, there is no more upgrades being done to exchanges. After that pretty much everyone is an option for connection. Smyths in Cavan town have a decent offer for an all in one package.

Cant think of anything else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Unclebill98 has it well covered there in most aspects, Just to add to his Broadband suggestion, I have net1,There similar to arden so if your unable to get line of sight with one try the other perhaps (although they maybe on the same mountain).

Yeah, if you can't see Sean Quinns windmills, then Arden probably won't work.

I think trees will have the line of sight scuppered. We're up high enough on the side of Bruse, but too many trees to get a view in the Ballyconnell direction.
    I'll be getting some chimney work done this year so maybe I'll get up with the builder and see if there's line of sight from up there.

Well welcome to Cornafean anyway! You'll be a near neighbour, as they say around here.
    (That's anyone within a couple of miles radius) :D

HiHo neighbor!

• Advertisement

No worries, your not far from me either. You too will develop the desire to want to get in a digger and take a chunk out of the offending mountain.......

Maybe I'll catch ye in McSeains some night for Boards Beers.

Hahaha, I played a gig there last year, you never know. The pitch and putt course is class too.

Good to know they do music, might try & drag the band up from Dublin for a gig at some point.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Good to know they do music, might try & drag the band up from Dublin for a gig at some point.

Ah there be plenty of spots for gigging if your interested, send us a PM and I'll give you the list.

Cheers, moving in July so I'll be on to you after that.

Made the move to Cavan this week, still living in a sea of packing boxes but I think McSeains might get new customers tonight!

Who do you guys use for satellite TV installation?
    I see Slowey Electrical in Cavan town does it - would you recommend?

I haven't used them, just have the satellite Saor View setup, a guy in Arva installed it. His name's Ronnie Bleakley, I think he is the Sky installer as well.

Advertisement