Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brussels/Belgium cycling

Options
  • 04-04-2017 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Just moved to Brussels and I'm looking for some advice on cycling here in Belgium. Bit nervous due to cycling on the right hand side of road and not knowing the rules of the road. Any particular rules I should be aware of? I know about 'priorité à droite', where traffic coming from the right has right of way. Are cycle lanes mandatory when they are provided? Any other tips from someone with experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Never try to drop Eddy Merckx if you come across him anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

pelevin wrote: »
    Never try to drop Eddy Merckx if you come across him anywhere.

Close the thread, that's all you need to know.

Oh, and you can't call yourself a cyclist in Belgium until you've done 500km on cobbles, in the rain, as part of a solo breakaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

The only thing I know about cycling in Brussels is that it is legal to cycle against traffic on a one-way street, unless specifically precluded from doing so.

I had a look for a reference to this online and found a couple of handy links:

http://www.expatica.com/be/insider-views/Cycling-in-Brussels_102862.html

https://marcorecorder.com/2014/02/21/my-experience-as-a-cyclist-in-brussels/

Also, there's a cycling map of Brussels. One useful feature is that it shows which streets are particularly hilly:

https://www.brussels.be/artdet.cfm/4858

Hope this is useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

nialljf wrote: »
    Just moved to Brussels and I'm looking for some advice on cycling here in Belgium. Bit nervous due to cycling on the right hand side of road and not knowing the rules of the road. Any particular rules I should be aware of? I know about 'priorité à droite', where traffic coming from the right has right of way. Are cycle lanes mandatory when they are provided? Any other tips from someone with experience?

You get used to that pretty quick. It won't be a big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'll need to fit those reflector thingies to your lights though.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

Thanks for the replies. 
    So I went out for a spin yesterday. I didn't mind so much cycling on the other side of the road, but I was still nervous. The drivers don't give you much room when overtaking. It's also hard to know your place on the road: most of the cyclists seemed to be on the foothpath/cycle lane, and the distinction between them seems to be ambiguous. Thankfully I live near the edge of the city so I can get out onto quieter roads fairly quickly. Will hopefully talk to someone in the know and maybe get out with a group here. Doesn't seem to be many clubs based in the city itself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭columbus_66

There are a lot more cyclists in Brussels now than a few years ago so it is becoming more cycling friendly. They are trying to get cars out of the city centre and put in more bike lanes. If there is a bike lane you are supposed to use it so the motorists are not very tolerant. There are canal paths from the north around Laeken-Schaarbeek to take you into the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I'd say there are loads of cycling clubs in Brussels, it's in the heartland of cycling, but they may be difficult to find through Google. Asking at a few bike shops should get results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

The Foret de Soigne is a great resource - more so for running that for Cycling, but still....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Homer1798

Move to Gerarradsbergen (Muur De Gramont) (it's about 20-30km from Brussels)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Homer1798 wrote: »
    Move to Gerarradsbergen (Muur De Gramont) (it's about 20-30km from Brussels)

Move to Oudenaarde - it has lots more climbs within easy reach and is the home of the Flanders Cycling Museum !

As regards advice, wear a woolly jersey and ride a 42 inside ring without any gloves in a minus 9 windchill. That should see you acclimatized fairly quickly.

Seriously though, I'm heading over for a few weeks in the summer actually; looking forward to a bit of touring on the quieter roads

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Brussels is not Flanders... the popularity of cycling, for transport or sport, appears to me as a frequent visitor to be lower than Dublin. I'd say you'd get better advice locally than on an Irish forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

This isn't going too badly. Was cycling on road all the time at the start, which attracted a few beeps. Now I'm sticking to the cycle lanes when they are provided, which is annoying due to intersections, entrances, etc. 
    Passed Gilbert, Vakoc, and co. earlier today reccing tomorrow's Brabantse Pijl. Going to head out to to Overijse to watch the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

If there are lanes you have to use them else at best you''ll get a bollicking from an angry Flem at worst the police will fine you and probably do you for not having your passport with you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

If there are lanes you have to use them else at best you''ll get a bollicking from an angry Flem at worst the police will fine you and probably do you for not having your passport with you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Seriously though, I'm heading over for a few weeks in the summer actually; looking forward to a bit of touring on the quieter roads
    Ha, in the process of planning a bit of a european tour next year, which will include a stay in Flanders. Even worked out my provisional spin route!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

I was wondering why Brussels' velibs ("Villo") have 7 gears to Dubbikes 3 - then I hit one of those nasty, little, steep, cobbled streets between the lower and upper towns... Cycling seems to be well catered for in the city, most one-way streets had exceptions for bicycles posted, traffic lights had a yield, turn-right-on-red sign and roadworks had bike friendly detours signposted.

Advertisement