Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small improvements

• 04-04-2017 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I'm going to get this going as a record for myself and for anyone else interested in my progression. I'm a 36 year old been running for the past 4 years. I was a fairly heavy smoker from 16-32 and drank my fair share through my 20s and early 30s. Started to run really to clear my head out to begin with and to get some confidence back in terms of my health both mental and physical. I feel fortunate that I am in relatively good health and would like to keep it that way as best I can.

I was never really competitive and didn't partake in much sports at a young age but presently I love competing against my own times and seeing improvements.

I would like to break a 3 hour marathon before I reach 40 but my main philosophy is small increments of improvement to prevent the possibility of injury.

Loose Plan as always coming into marathon season. This year entails reaching an average of 80km a Week.
    1 Day (Usually Monday) at Marathon pace 15-18km.
    2 Intervals days, one with longer stretches and longer recovery and one with short 1km fast and very short recovery.
    1 Easy run day
    1 Long run day
    2 Days rest days

I might do a structured plan if I break 3:10 and start looking towards the 3hour target but to be honest I would be a bit uneasy of doing this as my present loose training pattern seems to be working for me.

Marathon progression
    Dublin 2016 3:24:46
    Cork 2016 3:33:00
    Dublin 2015 3:42:22
    Dublin 2014 4:27:52

Records
    1Km 3:28
    1Mile 5:53
    5Mile 32:29
    5Km 19:37
    10km 42:01
    Half 1:29:07
    Full 3:24:46

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wookiesleep

Week March 27th - April1st (73.4km)

Monday 16.7km
    Marathon Pace @ 4:34Km

Tuesday 15.5km
    Intervals
    1km Warm Up

(Repeat x 3)
    3.5km @ 4.10 per km
    .5 Recovery

2.5km Cool down

Wednesday 10.5km
    Easy Run @ 5:23Km

Friday 12.5km
    Intervals
    1km Warm up

(Repeat x 5)
    1.75km @ 4.00 per Km
    .25 Recovery

1.5km Cool Down

Saturday 18.2 Km
    Hill run DunLaoghaire to the Lead Mines 14.2km @ 4:52km
    4km Cooldown down to Shankill station

Thanks Pac_man. Dublin Marathon is the main marker race of the year for me. I would like to run Waterford in June and my present cycle will gear up to that, but still trying to Justify the price of the race\accommodation. Will race the distance either way in June. I'll probably get Terenure in as well.

I like to get the legs feeling tired from the Monday and Tuesday sessions and then fall into the easy day on Wednesday and the off on the Thursday. Can't say I thought too much in regards to putting the Interval after the MP Day, in my head I think I prefer doing the MP when fresh so I have a marker as to how my body feels for the week ahead. Any and all opinions are welcome.

Week April 3rd - April9th (73.1km)

Monday 16km
    @ 4.32/Km

Tuesday 15.5km
    1km Warmup
    3.5km @ 4.10/km with 500m Recovery (x3)
    2.5 Km Cool Down

Wednesday 11km
    @ 5.15/km

Friday 12.5km
    Morning Swim 1km

Not a great run. Had planned to do the intervals back down but quit. Have to stop running on a full belly.
    1km Warmup

900m @ 4.00/km
    100m Recovery

1.75km @ 4.00/km
    250m Recovery

2.5km @ 4.00/km
    500m Recovery

5.5km Cooldown at 5.00/km

Saturday 18.1km
    DunLaoghaire/Dalkey/Blackrock/DunLaoghaire. Not feeling it today. Had planned on doing 24km. First warm day of the year kicked me out and the sight of people out enjoying the pints was too much to bear.
    @ 4.38/km

Week April 10th - April16th (67.5km)
    Reduced the mileage and took three days off. The runs were all good and strong but left leg and knee felt it needed the rest on those days off. No pain but body definitely telling me to ease off.

Monday 16km
    @ 4.36/Km

Thursday 15.5km
    2km Warmup
    2km @ 4.15/km with 500m Recovery (x4)
    3.5 Km Cool Down

Saturday 12km
    @ 4.44/km

Sunday 24km
    @ 4.40/km

Steady Long run along the coast road dunlaoighaire/Dalkey/Blackrock/Piers. Happy to get a long run in the bank. Batterys need work, felt tired after and the long run only had 77 metres of elevation gain.

Week April 17th - April23rd (28km)
    A family funeral took priority over any real training this week. Mileage reduced. I am deciding to focus on doing two halfs (clontarf\dublin) and then the Dublin marathon and going to ditch training for an early marathon. I will reduce mileage accordingly up to the Dublin marathon cycle.

Monday 6km
    @ 5.14/Km

Tuesday 16km
    @ 4.39/km

Wednesday 6km
    @ 5.00/km

• Advertisement

Week April 24th - April40th (43.5km)
    The body feels good on the long run but not surprising due to the reduced mileage.

Tuesday 5.5km
    @ 4.51/Km

Wednesday 12km
    Average @ 4.39/km

Ran km cycles between 4.40 & 4.10 with steps of 10 seconds per km. I liked this workout as a break from the usual tempo and intervals. You get a good feel for the different pacings.

Thursday 1km Pool Swim

Saturday 26km
    Average @ 4.38/km
    10km about 4.40/km
    16km about 4.35/km

500meters Open Water Swim

Week May 1st - May 7th(22km)

Tuesday 10km
    DunLaoghaire 10km Recon. It's a great challenging route taking in a nice challenging elevation gain in the first half.
    @ 4.45/Km

Wednesday 12km
    Average @ 4.39/km

Ran km cycles between 4.40 & 4.00 with steps of 10 seconds per km.

Saturday Open Water Swim race
    Spent the weekend in Barcelona for a 2km open water race.

Week May 8th - May 14th(58.6km)

Monday 12km
    @ 4.27/Km

Tuesday 12km Intervals
    1km Warmup
    (1.5km @ 4.15/Km - .5km Easy) Repeat x5
    1km Cooldown

Wednesday OW Swim .5km

Thursday 13km Intervals
    1km Warmup
    (3.5km @ 4.20/km - .5km Easy) Repeat x3

Saturday 14km
    @ 4.45/Km

Sunday 7.6km
    3.6km @ 5.11/Km
    4km @ 5.16/Km

OW Swim .7km

Week May 15th - May 21st(54.1km)

Monday 12km
    1km Easy
    (1.75km @ 4.15/Km, .25km Easy) x5
    1km Cool Down

Tuesday 900mtr OW Swim

Wednesday 900mtr OW Swim

Thursday 13km Intervals
    1km Warm Up
    (3.75km @ 4.20/km, .25km Easy) x3

1km Pool Swim

Saturday 21.1km
    1km Easy
    8km @ 4.10/km
    12.1km @ 4.50/km

Sunday 8km
    @ 5.07/km

Week May 22nd - May 28th(57.1km)

Monday 12km intervals
    1km Easy
    (1.75km @ 4.10/Km, .5km Easy) x5
    1km Cool Down

Tuesday 11km
    @4.38/km

Thursday 13km Intervals
    1km Warm Up
    (3.75km @ 4.15/km, .5km Easy) x3

Saturday 21.1km
    1km Easy
    9km @ 4.10/km
    11.1km @ 4.50/km

• Advertisement

Week July 16th - July 22nd(76km)
    Getting this going again as a tracker mainly for reference looking back at this years Dublin marathon training. Coming into this set of training in good order. Was running at least one long run per month and averaging 75Km week for about 4 Months. Took a couple of weeks to rest the body and back into it again now for the next months. Aiming for 3.10 Dublin marathon.

Long run this week in the park was to get a gauge for how the body is feeling at pace. Feel like I could have added 6km onto the 30Km at pace with my present fitness. Next couple of long runs will run slower and concentrate on slower running and more time on feet.

Monday 13km Intervals
    11 X (4.05 For .75km with .25 slow) with Km WU & CD

Tuesday 16km
    @4.31 Just slower than MP

Wednesday 11km Easy recovery
    5.28 KM average

Thursday 6Km
    Work run 4.33Km

Saturday 30Km Long Long
    Ran a bit faster than MP at 4.28

Week July 23rd - July 29th(61km)
    Lower than planned kms. Sore Calf cut short interval on the Wednesday. Plenty of easy kms as this effected my pace. Long run felt it but easing in of pace got me through it.

Tuesday 16km
    4.35 Pacing

Wednesday 7Km
    4.28 Cut short Interval

Thursday 6km
    Easy work run 5.35km

Saturday 27Km
    Time on feet focus. Increasing pace from slow. Last 7km MP.

Sunday 5km
    Easy 5.24km

Week July 30th - Aug 5th(62km)
    Same as last week. Lingering pains in left calf. It's affecting my ability to get my two quality intervals in each week and my long run. Long run cut short at 15km this week. All a bit depressing considering I have been setting myself up nicely for the marathon training block this year and no niggles up to this point of the year.

Monday 13km
    Intervals 750 Meter Faster/250 easy. Ranging the faster part from 4.30km to 4km and back down.

Tuesday 16Km
    Below Marathon pace at 4.40 km steady.

Wednesday 6km
    Easy at 5.28 km.

Thursday 12Km
    Easy at 5.00 Km

Friday 15km
    Easy at 5.31km

Week Aug 6th - Aug 12th(75km)
    Overall the calf felt good until after the weekend long run. As expected the Killiney hill loop and that crazy southerly wind took it out of me. My stamina has been affected by not getting decent intervals in. Before I could get a 30km in at MP with enough left over to keep me confident. After this weekends test at MP batteries were empty once I turned back into wind for home on the last 7km or so. Happy the body got through it and good to get the distance back in the system, will be interesting to see how it holds up next week.

Tuesday 10.3 Km
    Couple of easy runs about 5.30km

Thursday 16Km
    Marathon Pace at 4.30 km steady.

Friday 8km
    750 meter faster/250 meter Easy x 6 with easy at start and finish

Saturday 30km
    Majority at MP 4.30 km and fading in last 7 Kms or so.

y7C16pB.png

Sunday 11km
    Couple of easy runs at 5.30 km

Week Aug 13th - Aug 19th(75.5km)
    Getting a bit bored of the easy mileage now. It's still necessary due to the need for active recovery. The initial interval attempt on the Monday was painful, rest of the week was good with my stamina been affected on the long run again. Was a flat enough run and cut short at 26km rather than the 28km. Hoping to god that I can start increasing pace and get back to some quality running soon.

Monday 9.5Km
    Intervals (750m at 4.15Min/Km with 250 Easy)*8
    Easy 1.5km

Wednesday 5.5Km
    Easy run at 5.27 Min/Km

Thursday 8.05Km
    Marathon Pace at 4.30 Min/km steady.

Friday 10.05km
    Easy at 5.10 Min/km

Saturday 26km
    Approached the long run in thirds. Two thirds slower pace and finishing on MP. Tired by the end. Hot and humid day running mainly on the flat.

Couple of Cooldown Kms.

LxaujBB.png

Sunday 14km
    Easy at 5.00 Min/Km

Week Aug 20th - Aug 26th(80km)
    Good week overall. Got quality running through the medium MP, interval and long run. Still not feeling it in terms of endurance confidence but hopefully I'll get the endurance back coming up to the end of October.

Monday 12Km
    Intervals (750m at 4.15Min/Km with 250 Easy)*10
    Easy 2km.

Tuesday 16Km
    MP at 4.30 Min/KM Mainly flat with small hills.

Wednesday 12km
    Easy at 5.29Min/Km

Thursday 30km
    Under MP at 4.39 Min/Km - First time doing an early morning long run to work. Really enjoyed it, taking in the flat coastal route into town and through town up phoenix park and into west Dublin. Brilliant way to see the city come alive and anytime I run with the sun coming up is great. I'll try and get this done again next week, elevation gain is probably a bit too easy overall.

iQnKZRR.png

Sunday 10km
    Easy - 5.20 Min/Km

Week Aug 27th - Sept 2nd(81km)
    Good week. Intervals lacking from the week but good to start getting the kms recorded week to week.

Tuesday 14.3Km
    A second below MP pace at 4.31 Min/Km average. Incorporated some tough hills.

Wednesday 12.7Km
    Easy running at 5.14 Min/Km

Thursday 32km
    Averaged at 4.42 Min/Km. Built up for the first half and running at MP for the second half. Happy with strength and head space, endurance seems to be building back to normal but a way to go to be confident, overall little to complain about.

i2RM7kf.png

Friday 10km
    Easy at 5.10 Min/Km average

Sunday 12km
    MP ran at 4.30 Min/Km

Week Sept 3rd - Sept 9th(76.6km)
    Good quality runs put in this week and feel like the body is getting back to around 90%. I think sleep is something I need to manage better, didn't get a whole lot in this week.
    Was expecting to put in a +30km long run on the Sunday but the belly had other ideas.

Tuesday 13Km
    Intervals
    Warn Up 1km - (4.05Min/Km for 750M with 250M Easy)x10 - Cool Down 2Km
    Good workout with on a windy evening. Nice challenge.

Wednesday 16Km
    MP Run at 4.30Min/Km. Incorportated some hills around killiney.

Thursday 13km
    Intervals
    1Km Warmup - (4.10Min/Km for 1.5km with 500M Easy)x5 - 2Km CoolDown

Saturday 9km
    Easy run at 5.03Min/Km

Sunday 22.3km
    Close to MP at 4.31Min/Km
    I was expecting to use today as one of my +30km runs. I was feeling great going through half MP distance and then the belly acted up big time. I tried to get going again
    but it wasn't working. Closest i've come to a sticky situation out on a run.

HdNYQYC.png

3.2Km Cooldown

Week Sept 10th - Sept 16th(80.8km)
    Good week of running and the body is feeling good. Runs all felt comfortable. Off on holiday for 10 days so a bit worried about the mileage going down coming up
    to crunch time. Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in some morning runs to keep it ticking over.

Monday 11Km
    Intervals
    Warn Up 1km - (4.05Min/Km for 750M with 250M Easy)x9 - Cool Down 1Km

Tuesday 16Km
    MP Run at 4.30Min/Km. Fairly flat.

Wednesday 9.5km
    Easy at 5.37Min/Km

Thursday 31.5km
    Long run. Ran it by feel and fairly easy at 4.58Min/Km

9cf2rQi.png

Friday 6.2km
    Easy at 5.22Min/Km

Saturday 6.6km
    Easy at 5.03Min/Km

Week Sept 17th - Sept 23rd(21.1km)
    Beginning of a 10 day holiday stretch. Mileage down with just the few runs in the morning evening when the temperature was bearable. Got a great 30 Km of swimming done over the week.

Wednesday 8.1Km
    Ran at 4.27Min/Km.

Thursday 4.7Km
    Ran at 4.50Min/Km.

Friday 8.35km
    Ran at 4.38Min/Km.

• Advertisement

Week Sept 24th - Sept 30th(12.5km)
    Back from the holiday on the Wednesday. The laziness has stuck with me through the week and I didn't even make it out for the long run planned at the weekend. Completely unmotivated but enjoyed the takeaways and cans. I'll need to get it sorted or else the end of October will be a tough Dublin Marathon.

Thursday 12.5Km
    Ran at 4.38Min/Km.

Back to a solid week after the two weeks of holiday mode. Definite effect can be felt. Legs a bit heavier. Endurance has been hit a bit. From the long run I would estimate that I have about 36km at MP in me at present so not the best prep.

Monday 13Km
    Intervals
    Warn Up 1km - (4.10 Min/Km for 750M with 250M Easy) x 11 - Cool Down 1Km

Tuesday 16.5Km
    MP Run at 4.30Min/Km.

Thursday 14km
    Intervals
    Warm up 1km - (4.10 Min/Km for 3Km with 1Km Easy) x 3 - Cool down 1km

Saturday 29.5km
    Long run at MP 4.30 Min/Km average - incorporating killiney hill loop round
    Ow19pTF.jpg

Sunday 6.2km
    Easy at 5.25Min/Km

Week 8th - 14th October 81.3KM
    Good week of running. Achilles giving a bit of stiffness after the long run but nothing too bad and should clear with the easier kms over the next couple of
    weeks before Marathon.

Monday 11.5Km
    Intervals
    Warm Up 1km - (4.05 Min/Km for 750M with 250M Easy) x 10 - Cool Down .5Km

Tuesday 13Km
    MP Run at 4.31 Min/Km.

Wednesday 10.8km
    Easy at 5.00 Min/Km

Thursday 14Km
    Intervals
    Warm Up 1km - (4.10 Min/Km for 3Km with 1Km Easy) x 3 - Cool down 1Km

Sunday 32km
    Easy for 12Km - MP for 20Km - Incorporated Killiney hill loop
    Hot and humid

Hj11G2i.jpg

Week Oct 15th - Oct 21st(36km)
    Reduced Kms coming up to the end of month. The cold hit a bit over the weekend so passed on doing on another medium run on Sat. Sore throat still but hopefully on the way out. Achilles stiffness still there a bit.

Monday 6km
    5.20 Min/Km easy run

Tuesday 8Km
    4.35 Min/Km average - Interval
    1Km Warmup - (750M at 4.05Min/Km with 250M easy) x 6 - 1Km Cooldown

Thursday 16km
    Ran at MP 4.30 Min/Km

Sunday 6km
    Easy at 4.57 Min/Km

Overall the Marathon went went. A case of managing the pace and avoiding the cramps when they were knocking. A few minutes of my target finishing 3.13:55

HKYVdtw.jpg

Week Nov 3rd - Nov 9th (49KM)
    Back into it this week after the occasional run following the marathon.

Going to give a new routine a go into the new year. Three quality days of running with rest days in between. Quality been, running and extending my MP endurance, hills, intervals, HM and long runs. Going to look towards Dune half marathon, then Derry Marathon and Dublin Marathon as the big race aims. I will use Derry as a gauge of whether three days hard work will be enough or whether more days on feet are required. I think a three hour marathon is possible if i plan well ahead, this will be the aim for Dublin next year.

Wednesday 12km
    4.21 Min/Km - Warm up and cool down km with main 10km at 4.05 Min/Km

Friday 14Km
    4.24 Min/Km average - Morning run 1Km WU then 3km at MP 3.50 and then steady for rest. Tired body straight from the bed.

Sunday 23km
    Ran at 4.25 Min/Km - Taking in killiney hill. Good run and exactly what I was looking for. Running to catch up with pace for final Kms and finishing exactly on target and feeling like I got a good quality workout done.

atDbJf2.jpg

Advertisement