Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question for landlords

Options
  • 04-04-2017 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi I am wondering if I could get a landlords opinion on a problem I'm having. I was living in a house for around a year and a half and have moved out recently. I gave the proper notice and that and It all ended amicably or so I thought. I got a text from the landlord last night saying she was looking at her account and I owe her 1500 euro, now I am a bit forgetful sometimes but I would have remembered if I didn't pay rent for three months. So my question is what should I do should really , I had the lodgement stubs upto when I moved out but stupidity I threw them out when I moved out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭Bredabe

99problems wrote: »
    Hi I am wondering if I could get a landlords opinion on a problem I'm having. I was living in a house for around a year and a half and have moved out recently. I gave the proper notice and that and It all ended amicably or so I thought. I got a text from the landlord last night saying she was looking at her account and I owe her 1500 euro, now I am a bit forgetful sometimes but I would have remembered if I didn't pay rent for three months. So my question is what should I do should really , I had the lodgement stubs upto when I moved out but stupidity I threw them out when I moved out.
    I had this lately, I asked for the details of when I allegedly had not paid,so I could check against my bank statements. Never heard from him again. For some its a tactic, see what info you can get and see if you can convincingly contradict it, do you already have your tenant reference?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What 3 month period is the LL talking about?
    She would have to prove you didn't pay.
    For example, I have a separate bank account for my rental income. If I printed out a statement you would see all transaction and lodgements. It would show if there was no lodgement of €500 every month for 3 months.

Ask her to prove you didn't pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭99problems

Bredabe wrote:
    I had this lately, I asked for the details of when I allegedly had not paid,so I could check against my bank statements. Never heard from him again. For some its a tactic, see what info you can get and see if you can convincingly contradict it, do you already have your tenant reference?

I am already in a new place without the reference thank , I don't believe I owe it and I'm planning to fight it but the landlord lives across from my sister and has already been there twice telling her about this.

kceire wrote:
    What 3 month period is the LL talking about? She would have to prove you didn't pay. For example, I have a separate bank account for my rental income. If I printed out a statement you would see all transaction and lodgements. It would show if there was no lodgement of €500 every month for 3 months.

She hasn't said what period just said last year , Would you notice if there was no rent paid for three months before a year had passed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

that's a very strange one. But I presume you deposited it into her bank account? The bank will have a record for that, you ahve the bank details, so just tell her to prove it and do copy your sister on the email....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

She hasn't said what period just said last year , Would you notice if there was no rent paid for three months before a year had passed ?

She might do if it was simply going into a savings account or something.

I would just ask her for what exact dates she's looking for. It's up to her to prove when you didn't pay.

You should have kept your receipts though. Did you actually go into the bank and lodge the money or did you do it online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

There's also a data protection issue, she has no right to discuss your financial affairs with your sister. I would be inclined to tell her that you will be talking to a solicitor if she continues with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

Best course of action is to ask what month's she thinks you did not pay and then ask her to forward over bank statements for these periods that she says are unpaid.

She has no right to approach your sister, unless your sister was on the lease?

Email her from now on and keep everything in writing, in case you need it, and ask her to provide confirmation of you not paying.

Was your security deposit returned?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You were paying in cash, and you now have no proof of paying? How ... convenient.

Absolutely ask her for dates.

But also ask yourself: how often did you make a payment? Was it supposed to be four weekly but you did monthly? Were any of them ever short because you didn't have the full amount? Were you ever sick or away so perhaps forgot to pay that week? Etc.

It's quite possible that she didn't take notice of the odd 50 short here and there - until she added them up at the end and got a fright.

Equally, she may be chancing her arm. None of us here know.

And re the data protection yhing - was your sister s referee when you moved in?

pilly wrote:
    You should have kept your receipts though. Did you actually go into the bank and lodge the money or did you do it online?

I kept the receipts for the whole year and a half of my tenancy and i assumed when I moved out i wouldn't need them. Live and learn.

• Advertisement

that's a very strange one. But I presume you deposited it into her bank account? The bank will have a record for that, you ahve the bank details, so just tell her to prove it and do copy your sister on the email....

My sister doesn't care to be honest she knows me well enough to know I'm not like that , just if she is saying this to my sister she will be saying it to others

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

99problems wrote:
    I kept the receipts for the whole year and a half of my tenancy and i assumed when I moved out i wouldn't need them. Live and learn.

You still haven't actually answered the question of how you paid her. Was it cash?

I appreciate everyone replying and giving some sound advice. I was paying in cash but lodging it into the bank I did get receipts from the lodgement machines each time but after I moved out I just assumed that they would be better off in the fire than bringing them with me. I didn't realise talking to my sister is a data protection issue , could someone confirm this for me ?. I did miss one payment in a year and a half but that was due to a bank error which is why I decided on putting it in in person rather than direct debit. I know some tenants would take the piss but I know there is no way I missed three months rent and just forgot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

My sister doesn't care to be honest she knows me well enough to know I'm not like that , just if she is saying this to my sister she will be saying it to others
    nothing much you can do about that.Your friends will ask if they feel they need to , no one else will be bothered.

Dial Hard wrote:
    You still haven't actually answered the question of how you paid her. Was it cash?

Sorry , I paid through a lodgement machines in the bank , as in I put in the cash to her account

nothing much you can do about that.Your friends will ask if they feel they need to , no one else will be bothered.

Good thing I have no friends so ðŸ˜.

99problems wrote:
    I was paying in cash but lodging it into the bank

Well then ask her to show you her bank statements for the months where no lodgement is showing from you or that the amount lodged was short.

I can guarantee she'll tell you you've no business seeing her bank statements but a) she can redact any transactions you don't need to see and b) if she's looking for 1500 quid then the onus is absolutely on her to prove that you owe it.

If she refuses, I think you can take it as a given that she's chancing her arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Sorry , I paid through a lodgement machines in the bank , as in I put in the cash to her account

Could you (or the bank machine! )have accidentally put it into another account with a similar number when you were punching them in.

Who knows it might be on banks cctv if you can remember the approximate time and date you went in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Could you (or the bank machine! )have accidentally put it into another account with a similar number when you were punching them in.

Who knows it might be on banks cctv if you can remember the approximate time and date you went in.

Probably the second most likely scenario (most likely being that the landlord is trying a fast one.

Gebgbegb wrote:

Gebgbegb wrote:

I could see that happening once but not 12 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

I'd say if the landlord thinks they are right then they will.go to the RTB.
    You both present your evidence there and it will all come out in the wash.
    Job done. And something the RTB can help constructively with for a change.

I will ask her to show me proof tonight either way , and might talk to a solicitor about her talking to my sister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ah yeah but at least you could prove that you went into those banks on those dates.... Judge/court/whatever would look on the balance of probabilities... and tell her to %%%%%% %%%%%.

76544567 wrote:
    I'd say if the landlord thinks they are right then they will.go to the RTB. You both present your evidence there and it will all come out in the wash. Job done. And something the RTB can help constructively with for a change.

Oh she's not registered with rtb. Should have mentioned that , she never asked for PPS numbers or i never recieved a letter.

Gebgbegb wrote:
    Ah yeah but at least you could prove that you went into those banks on those dates.... Judge/court/whatever would look on the balance of probabilities... and tell her to %%%%%% %%%%%.

Sorry my answer seemed rude there , I suppose your right. Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

She's not looking for 12 payments though?

99problems wrote:
    I will ask her to show me proof tonight either way , and might talk to a solicitor about her talking to my sister.

You could also go through your own statements to make sure there's a cash withdrawal to match your rent amount every month.

And I wouldn't bother with the solicitor, that's overkill. If you're genuinely that aggrieved over it (and I don't think you even cared til it was brought up here) just make a complaint to the ODPC directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

Oh she's not registered with rtb. Should have mentioned that , she never asked for PPS numbers or i never recieved a letter.

Everyone thinks their landlord isn't registered with the RTB and that they aren't paying tax. It's just a thing i suppose.

pilly wrote:
    She's not looking for 12 payments though?

125 per week ads up to 1500 euro after 12 weeks

• Advertisement

76544567 wrote:
    Everyone thinks their landlord isn't registered with the RTB and that they aren't paying tax. It's just a thing i suppose.

Well the house wasn't registered on the site , she never asked for any details to register me and i never received confirmation that i am registered , none of my business if she does or doesn't pay tax to be honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement