Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question for landlords

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭99problems

Dial Hard wrote:
    And I wouldn't bother with the solicitor, that's overkill. If you're genuinely that aggrieved over it (and I don't think you even cared til it was brought up here) just make a complaint to the ODPC directly.

I am not bothered to be honest but I'd rather others not knowing my business , sister or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Live and learn always do it by standing order, it makes life simpler. I wouldn't meet her get her to send it by post and admit nothing. If you do meet her make sure to be careful what you say, don't offer her any money. If she presses you fall back on we can got to the RTB that's what they are there for. Did she give you back your deposit, could this be a ploy to keep it?

Live and learn always do it by standing order, it makes life simpler. I wouldn't meet her get her to send it by post and admit nothing. If you do meet her make sure to be careful what you say, don't offer her any money. If she presses you fall back on we can got to the RTB that's what they are there for. Did she give you back your deposit, could this be a ploy to keep it?

To be fair the deposit is only 300 euro if she's that hard up she can keep it I won't be giving her another penny , after thinking it over how do you miss three months rent not being paid for a year and conveniently notice after someone has moved out. I would notice if i wasn't paid for three months regardless of the amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

99problems wrote: »
    have moved out recently.
    <snip>
    I got a text from the landlord last night saying she was looking at her account and I owe her 1500 euro
    the landlord lives across from my sister and has already been there twice telling her about this.
    If the landlord feels the need to bring your family into this, it sounds like they're pulling at straws.

the_syco wrote:
    If the landlord feels the need to bring your family into this, it sounds like they're pulling at straws.

I know , I think my sister is more annoyed about it than I am.

• Advertisement

99problems wrote:
    I know , I think my sister is more annoyed about it than I am.

Well more amused than annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

125 per week ads up to 1500 euro after 12 weeks
    ...how do you miss three months rent not being paid for a year... I would notice if i wasn't paid for three months regardless of the amount.

Were you paying Monthly or weekly?
    If weekly did you pay on the same day every week?

housetypeb wrote:
    Were you paying Monthly or weekly? If weekly did you pay on the same day every week?

Sorry yeah I paid weekly ,every Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

76544567 wrote: »
    Oh she's not registered with rtb.  Should have mentioned that , she never asked for PPS numbers or i never recieved a letter.

Everyone thinks their landlord isn't registered with the RTB and that they aren't paying tax.  It's just a thing i suppose.
    You can actually check if your LL is registered or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

It's irrelevant really as OP has no intention of paying the money either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

pilly wrote: »

It's irrelevant really as OP has no intention of paying the money either way.
    Well . according to the OP he already has.Why would he pay again?

The registration data base is well known to be very badly maintained and often inaccurate.

The registration data base is well known to be very badly maintained and often inaccurate.

I did look on the prtb site , the house isn't registered. If she doesn't want to pay tax then that's none of my business really I just don't want to get shafted everything else is her business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

I did look on the prtb site , the house isn't registered. If she doesn't want to pay tax then that's none of my business really I just don't want to get shafted everything else is her business.

It would be 180 quid to register you now though if she was to bring a dispute against you. If you feel that you've paid it ask her to provide you with appropriate evidence and if she's dissatisfied to refer to the relevant agencies/bodies. I wouldn't be so keen to let her keep the 300 quid deposit either if you're in the right

Browney7 wrote:
    It would be 180 quid to register you now though if she was to bring a dispute against you. If you feel that you've paid it ask her to provide you with appropriate evidence and if she's dissatisfied to refer to the relevant agencies/bodies. I wouldn't be so keen to let her keep the 300 quid deposit either if you're in the right

I was more saying that humourously , If she has to try and steal 1500 euro from me by saying I owe her then she is obviously hard up for a few euro. And she couldn't really register me without my details anyway I'd assume. I text her there so I'm waiting to hear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smunchkins

If you paid weekly on a Friday she may have confused the dates if she had multiple tenants. Friday bank payments are pretty bad for showing up about 3 days later, especially if paid late in the day. Plus it does depend what you put on the reference for paying in. "Rent" would not be helpful! :rolleyes:

smunchkins wrote:
    If you paid weekly on a Friday she may have confused the dates if she had multiple tenants. Friday bank payments are pretty bad for showing up about 3 days later, especially if paid late in the day. Plus it does depend what you put on the reference for paying in. "Rent" would not be helpful!

I put my name on it and I'm not saying I hate my parents but I do have a very let's say unique name. I suppose I'll say that to her maybe it did go late.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

How long is it since you moved out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

l wouldn't worry about this at all. You don't live there anymore, it's not like she can evict you!
    If she really feels she is missing money then she should have spotted it way before now.

If she wants to get the PRTB involved, that's her choice and she'll have to prove you didn't pay.

You're certain you did pay so there's little to worry about.

Send her an email (not a phone call or face to face - something you can keep as evidence if needed) and ask for proof. Tell her you want her reply via email or in writing.
    If she can't provide same, email again and advise you consider the matter to be closed and request that she doesn't contact you again or you'll regard it as harassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I will ask her to show me proof tonight either way , and might talk to a solicitor about her talking to my sister.

If you're saying that you made the lodgements every friday and that there are 12 missing, then by asking her for proof might be admitting that she has a point. I wouldn't engage with her at all. She should have noticed it long before now.
    I also think you need to be honest with yourself. You say in your first post that you can be a bit forgetful. So maybe you don't owe her 12 weeks but could you owe her 3 or 4 maybe? You don't come across as being so sure. Just my observations.

• Advertisement

emeldc wrote:
    If you're saying that you made the lodgements every friday and that there are 12 missing, then by asking her for proof might be admitting that she has a point. I wouldn't engage with her at all. She should have noticed it long before now. I also think you need to be honest with yourself. You say in your first post that you can be a bit forgetful. So maybe you don't owe her 12 weeks but could you owe her 3 or 4 maybe? You don't come across as being so sure. Just my observations.

I mean forgetful as in I would forget to pick up milk from the shop , not I forgot to pay rent for 12 weeks or even 1 week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I mean forgetful as in I would forget to pick up milk from the shop , not I forgot to pay rent for 12 weeks or even 1 week

So if you're sure you don't owe it tell her where to get off and to stop harassing your sister. Don't look for proof. You don't need it. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

But did you always pay the full amount, every single time? Were you ever short?

You said something about how you used to pay by "direct debit" until one time when it was late because a bank error. This makes me suspicious: you were almost certainly paying by standing order, and once these are set up there is no chance for "bank error" - the only way they can go wrong is if you have insufficient funds. And in that case a manual payment won't work either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

I put my name on it and I'm not saying I hate my parents but I do have a very let's say unique name. I suppose I'll say that to her maybe it did go late.

You might have put your name on it but that does not mean it appears on the bank statement.

Best thing to do to stop this is to ask what dates are missing and then look for your withdrawal of funds to help her see where the lodgements were made. It could be that you paid late one week and she has other tenants, so hard to figure out, and as you said yourself, you may have missed a payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

davindub wrote:
    You might have put your name on it but that does not mean it appears on the bank statement.

It does. The narrative you enter on an automated deposit machine appears on the statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

To be fair the deposit is only 300 euro if she's that hard up she can keep it I won't be giving her another penny , after thinking it over how do you miss three months rent not being paid for a year and conveniently notice after someone has moved out. I would notice if i wasn't paid for three months regardless of the amount.

Hold on a sec.. she still has you're deposit.

And she's now claiming you didn't pay rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It does. The narrative you enter on an automated deposit machine appears on the statement.

Hmm not sure about that, some of the banks give very little information. I know I have issues trying to figure out lodgements in some bank accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sounds like neither tenant or landlord kept proper records. I don't see how it can be proved. Unless the LL give someone access to their complete records for the account you were lodging into.

If the tenant is confident they were up to date then they should welcome going to the PRTB, you might get the deposit back, and maybe even more. If the LL doesn't bring a dispute to the PRTB, perhaps the tenant should regarding the deposit and the harassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

davindub wrote:
    Hmm not sure about that, some of the banks give very little information. I know I have issues trying to figure out lodgements in some bank accounts.

It's definitely the case that with CCDM deposits, whatever the lodger enters in the "message" box appears as the narrative on the statement.

Of course, not everyone enters a message here but the OP stated that they did.

• Advertisement

Well I talked to her and she has suddenly found all the money on her statement funny that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement