Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for HAP outside of local area

Options
  • 04-04-2017 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Apologies if this has already been covered, I couldn't find a relevant thread.

Myself and my partner are currently renting in Crumlin, and in receipt of Rent Supplement. Our landlord is moving back into the property and has given us notice to quit.

We've been advised that we will need to apply for HAP as no new Rent Supplement applications are being accepted. To qualify for HAP you need to be on the local council's housing list. We've applied to Dublin City Council's housing list, but have been having trouble finding landlords willing to accept the terms of HAP.

Where do I stand if we were to look outside of the Dublin City Council area (i.e; South Dublin, Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Fingal)? Would we need to apply again for the housing list in these areas or is there a transfer system in place regarding this?

TL;DR - Can you apply for HAP rental outside of the local area in which you've applied for the housing list?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

PulpitNeil wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been covered, I couldn't find a relevant thread.

Myself and my partner are currently renting in Crumlin, and in receipt of Rent Supplement. Our landlord is moving back into the property and has given us notice to quit.

We've been advised that we will need to apply for HAP as no new Rent Supplement applications are being accepted. To qualify for HAP you need to be on the local council's housing list. We've applied to Dublin City Council's housing list, but have been having trouble finding landlords willing to accept the terms of HAP.

Where do I stand if we were to look outside of the Dublin City Council area (i.e; South Dublin, Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Fingal)? Would we need to apply again for the housing list in these areas or is there a transfer system in place regarding this?

TL;DR - Can you apply for HAP rental outside of the local area in which you've applied for the housing list?

You would have to complete a "in need of housing " assessment form for the local authority that you wish to move to.
    If they accept you then your place on your current local authority housing list is gone.
    You can't be on 2 housing lists at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

infogiver wrote: »
    You would have to complete a "in need of housing " assessment form for the local authority that you wish to move to.
    If they accept you then your place on your current local authority housing list is gone.
    You can't be on 2 housing lists at the same time.

Actually in some cases you could be on the list in DCC but be getting Hap while living in another local authority it's usually done on a case my case basis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Gatling wrote: »
    Actually in some cases you could be on the list in DCC but be getting Hap while living in another local authority it's usually done on a case my case basis

In rural Ireland if I'm getting HAP in Tipperary and I want to move to limerick then I have to complete a housing needs form for Limerick and if they accept me I'm off the list in Tipperary. Dublin may be different, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 PulpitNeil

Gatling wrote: »

Thanks Gatling, I had hoped this would be the case. Would seem daft (:D) to have to apply to each council separately, given rent demand in the greater dublin area.

Having said that, HAP rollout seems to have been a typical Irish disaster so I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Advertisement