Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Old House - no central heating

Options
  • 04-04-2017 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I'm currently bidding on an old redbrick house (built around 1890s) and want to do some sums on how much it would cost to make it liveable. It is a 3 bedroom terraced house, (c1,000 sq ft). There is no signs of damp in the house, although obviously we would get a survey to check this.

There is no central heating although the neighbouring houses have piped gas, and the wiring would need to be redone as it is very old. I'd imagine it'll also need to be replumbed too. Would anyone have a ballpark idea on the cost of those three major items?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ontour2

Quotes I have got for a similar job have been €9-13k for electrical work and €12-18k for plumbing and heating. Al exclude VAT, sanitaryware etc.
    I was surprised at the range of quotes as it was a reasonably specific tender. As both gas and electrical work is regulated, they are two trades that will have significant supply issues over the coming years. This is already starting to be reflected in pricing.

Advertisement