Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Irish men are wimps. They need to man up!" (Alive free Catholic monthly newspaper)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Tbh while i may not agree with the article in its entirety, i do happen to believe that men in this country need to man up a bit. We seem so afraid now to speak our minds for fear of being accused of sexism, racism, etc. I had the misfortune of having to sit down for lunch at work a few days ago with some of my female colleagues. What they said about their husbands would shock a lot of people. One girl wouldn't allow her other half to go for drinks at the weekends unless she was with him. Another had strict guidelines as to when he was allowed play his golf. Another would get hubbie drunk on the first night of a weekend away so she could spend the rest of it shopping! I couldn't believe this rubbish. Where was the compromise? Or were the hubbies just sitting there, nodding the head and going along with this for the sake of a peaceful marriage? When i told 2 of my friends about this i could tell by their reaction that they too were used to this treatment. WTF!!. Man up lads. Speak your mind! I generally keep myself to myself but my opinions on topics i hold strong. I vote in referenda the way I want to, not what the media tells me to. ....is that wrong or am i clinging to a clint eastwood/John Wayne type persona that just doesn't work in modern times? ?

The term "Man Up" should be replaced with "Stand Up For Yourself".

I'm loathe to comment on other people's relationships but if one party is dictating what the other does then a chat needs to be had.

Politely saying "Don't tell me what I can or cannot do" is fair game in my opinion.

Now a bit of common sense is required here. If someone has a problem with substance abuse or someone spent all the rainy day fund, then these are different issues.

Not letting your partner go out their with friends every once in a while is terrible behaviour and will only lead to issues down the line.

The bottom line is both parties should stand up for themselves and not be a doormat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Tbh while i may not agree with the article in its entirety, i do happen to believe that men in this country need to man up a bit. We seem so afraid now to speak our minds for fear of being accused of sexism, racism, etc. I had the misfortune of having to sit down for lunch at work a few days ago with some of my female colleagues. What they said about their husbands would shock a lot of people. One girl wouldn't allow her other half to go for drinks at the weekends unless she was with him. Another had strict guidelines as to when he was allowed play his golf. Another would get hubbie drunk on the first night of a weekend away so she could spend the rest of it shopping! I couldn't believe this rubbish. Where was the compromise? Or were the hubbies just sitting there, nodding the head and going along with this for the sake of a peaceful marriage? When i told 2 of my friends about this i could tell by their reaction that they too were used to this treatment. WTF!!. Man up lads. Speak your mind! I generally keep myself to myself but my opinions on topics i hold strong. I vote in referenda the way I want to, not what the media tells me to. ....is that wrong or am i clinging to a clint eastwood/John Wayne type persona that just doesn't work in modern times? ?

Could a lot of that just be bravado amongst the women? Just trying to outdo each other in being a twunt when talking about their husbands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭tritium

Could a lot of that just be bravado amongst the women? Just trying to outdo each other in being a twunt when talking about their husbands.

They could be. Alternatively there could be a degree of truth to it and theyre examples of controlling abusive relationships, something we as a society are much better at warning women about than men

Men were way tougher in this country and I presume other countries in the 80s and before. People were tougher in general. Just watch any old rte footage from the 80s or before and you get the sense the people back then were more brusque, didn't tolerate people being self-absorbed or indulgent or people requiring more attention or care than others. Even just watching old late-late show footage, Gay Byrne is far more curt and less tippy-toey around peoples feelings, guest or audience than a host nowadays would be and it doesnt seem abnormal to anyone. When people were poorer, they didn't even notice this curtness as being abnormal or unpleasant.

Professional soccer players nowadays seem a lot less hard than back in the day. In Gaelic football I think of that clip of Paidi O'se getting elbowed and then thumping the guy in the face, referee considers it fair and the two guys shake hands and continue on - you'd never see it now, there'd be 2 page spreads in the papers condemning the punch!

For better or worse, the gradual diminising of the populations toughness is just a fact. The adults of the 80s for instance grew up in the 60s and earlier, even poorer times and with tougher people again. Go back 200 years and the men of this country were heroically tough by our standards. Go back 1000 years and they were like feral animals. The difference in manliness in this country between men of today and even 15 years ago is huge. Men in 2002 for instance did not preen themselves or care about their appearance to the same degree as men today. Comfortable living conditions and a tolerance of feebleness (not sure if this is a good or bad thing) has contributed to men and women becoming weaker as well as more neurotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

jameshayes wrote: »
    Its taboo now to be proud to be a man but popular and encouraged to be proud to be female

Considering that beards - a prominent male secondary sex characteristic - are all in now, this seems unlikely.
    Sleepy wrote: »
    Oh Noes! Modern men are pro-choice! What can we do about this? Let's tell them they're wimps! That'll work, right?!

It's the companion insult to "All female pro-abortion campaigners are ugly, bitter, fat and loveless", a tack I've seen used by some pro-lifers here on boards and elsewhere. It's all so transparent and childish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

That's a non-sequitur, an invalid argument. Whether it is true or false, one does not follow from the other.

Your posts don't make any sense from a logical point of view.

Have you considered applying for a post with ALIVE! newspaper?

Finding Dory, Zootopia, The Jungle Book, and The Secret Life of Pets were the #3, #4, #5 and #6 grossing movies at the box office last year. Bestiality must be one the rise so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭indioblack

I always defer to Frank Spencer - with that marvelously querulous voice -"I'm a man".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

ScumLord wrote: »
    250000 copies! 99% of which end up in the bin because they just shove them through random letter boxes.

Yup. I sent them an email asking how I could get them to stop posting it in my letter box and strangely I received no response. It's used as kindling for the fire instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Orion wrote: »
    2 out of three. Unfortunately he's not taking the piss. Deranged and dangerous - yes. Here's the smiley little mysoginistic, hatefilled, spiteful man in his dellboy guise.

alive.jpg

Surprised to see Gerry Adams involved in this kind of thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement