Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stiener vs doctor

Options
  • 04-04-2017 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

What does every one think of both these scopes and witch would be best choise 4 16 56 stiener or 2.5 15 56 doctor

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I don't know if i'd buy either over a Schmidt and Bender or maybe a Swarovski.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭cz527

gunny123 wrote: »
    I don't know if i'd buy either over a Schmidt and Bender or maybe a Swarovski.

Big price diffrence tho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Steiner are renowned worldwide for their optics, especially in the field of military equipment. Last time a bunch of us went to the factory we all came away with a sense of Steiner's total commitment to product, and, I think, we all bought at least one pair of one model or another. I bought five, but only two were for me - mrs tac is watching birdies in the backyard with my 10x50 marine/compass even as I type this.

BTW, you can watch them in action on Youtube on a 'How it's made' programme - binoculars.

Perhaps I should have noted that none of our bins were not new - ALL were ex-Bundeswehr and therefore factory refurbs with the same guarantee as brand-new, and at something like half-price.

I've only seen one of their scopes and was VERY impressed by it, but I have to remind you that one person's 'whoopee, lookitthat!' is another person's meh.

You have to look through them yourself to make a judgement.

Same goes for Docter. I have a simple 6x30 on one of my .22s, bought from Waffen Frankonia about twenty years ago, and it is so bright, even though it's just a 30mm, that it looks like it's lit from within - not just for me, but for everybody who looks through it.

But again - it's YOUR eyeballs that matter.

Both brands are around the same price - more or less on a par with Hungarian-made Zeiss or Meopta. Now there's another option!

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Steiner are renowned worldwide for their optics, especially in the field of military equipment. Last time a bunch of us went to the factory we all came away with a sense of Steiner's total commitment to product, and, I think, we all bought at least one pair of one model or another. I bought five, but only two were for me - mrs tac is watching birdies in the backyard with my 10x50 marine/compass even as I type this.

BTW, you can watch them in action on Youtube on a 'How it's made' programme - binoculars.

Perhaps I should have noted that none of our bins were not new - ALL were ex-Bundeswehr and therefore factory refurbs with the same guarantee as brand-new, and at something like half-price.

I've only seen one of their scopes and was VERY impressed by it, but I have to remind you that one person's 'whoopee, lookitthat!' is another person's meh.

You have to look through them yourself to make a judgement.

Same goes for Docter. I have a simple 6x30 on one of my .22s, bought from Waffen Frankonia about twenty years ago, and it is so bright, even though it's just a 30mm, that it looks like it's lit from within - not just for me, but for everybody who looks through it.

But again - it's YOUR eyeballs that matter.

Both brands are around the same price - more or less on a par with Hungarian-made Zeiss or Meopta. Now there's another option!

tac

Iv always used doctor and my last one broke so i said i might like a change so i am looking at a 4 16 56 stiener but iv never used them before so wasent shure about them most of my hunting is lamping foxes and a bit of long range shooting

tac foley wrote: »

tac

Don't forget IOR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

I have the 3-12*56 military tactical ffp Steiner and it's a fantastic piece of equipment super clear optics even at low light. I had a docter 2.5-10*48 and not much if any optically between them. But the tactical cost double the docter price. But it has all the bells and whistles. Not sure what model Steiner you are looking at but I don't think they have the same glass in the hunting models as the tactical ones. I am open to correction on this. Whichever one you chose if any you won't be disappointed

I have the 3-12*56 military tactical ffp Steiner and it's a fantastic piece of equipment super clear optics even at low light. I had a docter 2.5-10*48 and not much if any optically between them. But the tactical cost double the docter price. But it has all the bells and whistles. Not sure what model Steiner you are looking at but I don't think they have the same glass in the hunting models as the tactical ones. I am open to correction on this. Whichever one you chose if any you won't be disappointed
    Im looking at the ranger 4 16 56

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Swarovski for binos.Dont drop or allow their scopes to be bashed and you'll be grand.Heard this now from three accounts that the Swar scopes are a tad sensitive to knocks that others would shrug off.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Swarovski for binos.Dont drop or allow their scopes to be bashed and you'll be grand.Heard this now from three accounts that the Swar scopes are a tad sensitive to knocks that others would shrug off.

Dont like swar scopes never rated them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

cz527 wrote:
    Im looking at the ranger 4 16 56

Never looked through a ranger. Sorry

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

I swear by Leica binoculars and S&B scopes meself. Had both for years and its great glass. For a hunting scope i go for the most basic spec, all the bells and whistles (gimmicks ?) are just something else to go wrong, no matter what the brand.

gunny123 wrote: »
    I swear by Leica binoculars and S&B scopes meself. Had both for years and its great glass. For a hunting scope i go for the most basic spec, all the bells and whistles (gimmicks ?) are just something else to go wrong, no matter what the brand.

Very true i had a v6 doctor and the paralex broke right in the middle of stalking

Advertisement