Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Championship 2017

Options
  • 04-04-2017 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭

Its a fair way off and all I know is that they will be held the weekend of June 24/25 somewhere in Wexford.

Any indication of the lap at this stage ?

Or where race headquarters will be ?

Or even where roughly in Wexford the race will be held (its not the biggest of counties but its not the smallest either) ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

I believe Gorey C.C. are hosting it so things should be close to town. Possibly the 3 day final stage loop through Craanford /Camolin ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Classyrider

Lumpy, rolling route....!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EAD

I believe the TT is Enniscorthy to Wexford and back while the main event is out of Wexford town itself. TT is far less rolling than last year while there are meant to be a nice few rolls in the open race.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭royrogers

EAD wrote: »
    I believe the TT is Enniscorthy to Wexford and back while the main event is out of Wexford town itself. TT is far less rolling than last year while there are meant to be a nice few rolls in the open race.

Any idea of the route for the RR??

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Classyrider

Yep any road routes online anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭boomdocker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Wow !

Wexford is a lovely town, pretty and busy. Along the quays and over the bridge, how on earth are they going to swing that one ! Both Saturday and Sunday, local traders will be up in arms... memories of objections form last year come back.

If they can pull it off though should make for great spectating and a wonderful atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Homer1798

I imagine the masters races and womens might be held on a different circuit, to avoid annoying the local traders (who I'm sure will appreciate the extra trade a Nationals brings to a town).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Homer1798 wrote: »
    I imagine the masters races and womens might be held on a different circuit, to avoid annoying the local traders (who I'm sure will appreciate the extra trade a Nationals brings to a town).

That would be a pity if that's how it works out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

That would be a pity if that's how it works out

There's a comment on a visitor post to the FB page linked above which says that it's the same course on the Sat, for masters and ladies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

The TT route hasn't been 100% confirmed yet , it was up until last week when we had a meeting with the council and there was an issue , The original route is along the N25 between Barntown and Ballinaboola its 40km for the Elite /U23 / Ladies and 32km for paracyclists. The 2nd choice route is Enniscorthy to Wexford and back . We'll know exactly which one is going to be a chosen in the next few days.

The road race route is the same on Saturday for the M40 , M50/M60 races as it is for the Elite/U23 and Ladies races on Sunday . All the races will be into the town and over the bridge , Wexford County Council and the Gardai have been brilliant helping to get this organised.
    Race HQ is the Wexford County Council buildings as used for the Wexford 2 day Sunday stage last year.

The event is not being hosted by Gorey c.c. but by "Wexford Cycling" which is a working group of 7 clubs in the county which got together a few years back to get better organised marshalling for the leagues and open races in the county etc.

I am on the organising committee and picked the routes so if anyone has any questions just ask and I should be able to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

fondriest wrote:
    The event is not being hosted by Gorey c.c. but by "Wexford Cycling" which is a working group of 7 clubs in the county which got together a few years back to get better organised marshalling for the leagues and open races in the county etc.

Great work fair play to all. Should be a great weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

Thanks for the clarification. I stand corrected re organising club but it was the impression was given.

Good luck with the organisation.

clog wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification. I stand corrected re organising club but it was the impression was given.

Good luck with the organisation.

It is in the CI calendar as Gorey cc alright . The race director is Derek Webb of Gorey so that may be the reason.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Doesn't look like it encroaches at all on the main shopping and eating areas. With correct traffic management it will probably give local trade a real boost, not that Wexford needs it at the moment. Great town

That's a really good course. The laps through town will give it a Crit or Kermesse type of atmosphere hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Homer1798

Having looked at the circuit in some detail last night, there's gona be some surprises in the last 6 km......check it out on google maps.

Having looked at the circuit in some detail last night, there's gona be some surprises in the last 6 km......check it out on google maps.

Yep the "Muur de Ferrycarrig " is a little brute :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭royrogers

fondriest wrote: »
    Yep the "Muur de Ferrycarrig " is a little brute :-)

A 100+ riders up there is gonna be fun!!! Cant wait. On another note, will there be rolling road closure's for the races??

royrogers wrote: »
    A 100+ riders up there is gonna be fun!!! Cant wait. On another note, will there be rolling road closure's for the races??

Yes , it will be done similar to the Ras , hopefully shouldn't cause a lot of inconvenience to the locals .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Thud wrote: »

Is that climb now re-paved or will it be as cut up as it looks?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

Its too stop the climbers getting away on the rest of the bunch.

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

It was resurfaced in the last couple of years , smooth as babies a£$e .

Thud wrote: »

The climb is only about a minute long but I think for about 150m after the hairpin is about 14 or 15% .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

The climb is only about a minute long but I think for about 150m after the hairpin is about 14 or 15% .

Speak for yourself.
    The 150m @ 14 or 15% would take me more than a minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

ooohh, there going to be some serious pain faces there. nice......... :cool:

There is another little hill on the back road between Crossabeg and the N11 it's about 700m long in total , first 200m is about 8% and then drags up the rest of the way . Tougher than it sounds .

The only other steep lump is a little 45 second dig out of Castlebridge ,on paper the route looks pretty flat but it will wear people down over time .

If anyone is down that way and wants the guided tour let me know .

• Advertisement

The national championships website is live and entries open today . http://www.roadchamps.irish/

Advertisement