Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Championship 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Just had a look at the road race route - http://www.roadchamps.irish/route-map/

There's a real steep climb just before the Kilometre 14 marker - it's a Strava segment that I used to target big time, made myself sick a few times trying to get the top time on it. Can't wait to see the pros bomb up it. That's where I'll be spectating from if anyone wants to say hello :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Got to say the feedback for those not present was terrible

Not official tweets ,updates or coverage of any kind....its 2017 ...Lots of other countries had coverage pf theirs , including tweets, pictures,timings and even some TV coverage

The official twitter feed just posted the results at 23.40 !!!

Maybe you could post some updates on the road race Darkglasses

anyway here is a tweet from Ryan Mullen

https://twitter.com/ryanmullen9/status/878000006174846976

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Just had a look at the road race route - http://www.roadchamps.irish/route-map/

There's a real steep climb just before the Kilometre 14 marker - it's a Strava segment that I used to target big time, made myself sick a few times trying to get the top time on it. Can't wait to see the pros bomb up it. That's where I'll be spectating from if anyone wants to say hello :)

Just rode it twice. Climb is about 90 seconds non race pace and this includes lower angled stuff near top until it levels out. Seconds time up, went up it in 53/23 (cadence was very low on the bends), couldn't get into the 25, was seeing if I needed to switch to small ring.

Other climbs are 90 seconds and 60 seconds. In general on their own nothing to worry about but it will be a wearing down process as the laps tick by. Riders may well find that if its windy the pressure points will be elsewhere on the circuit. In Multifarnham a few years back the main pressure point was the main road which was dead flat !

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Got to say the feedback for those not present was terrible

Not official tweets ,updates or coverage of any kind....its 2017 ...Lots of other countries had coverage pf theirs , including tweets, pictures,timings and even some TV coverage

The official twitter feed just posted the results at 23.40 !!!

Maybe you could post some updates on the road race Darkglasses

Agreed.

I remember last year, doing the Twitter.
    For the TT, I was tweeting from my marshaling position and we had another guy at the start/finish.

We did the same thing for the Masters, one lad in the M40 race car, as they had race radio.
    I was posting from my marshaling position on the M50 and M60 as they came by.

Sunday, aka The nightmare.
    The 3Mobile coverage in Kilcullen was terrible, so the tweets were only posting from one section of the course.
    Our Lead Car 1 race radio was on the wrong channel after we stopped to take a toilet break, so we were getting no coverage.
    Thanks to every one who tweeted asking for updates using block capitals. :D

What I did for the Roche GP the other night was, posted a link to the twitter hashtag on the facebook and started tweeting.
    It lets spectators participate too, as they can "Join the Conversation", by posting pictures and videos from other parts of the course for other spectators and for the riders to view afterwards.
    It's good for sponsors too.

Just rode it twice. Climb is about 90 seconds non race pace and this includes lower angled stuff near top until it levels out. Seconds time up, went up it in 53/23 (cadence was very low on the bends), couldn't get into the 25, was seeing if I needed to switch to small ring.

Other climbs are 90 seconds and 60 seconds. In general on their own nothing to worry about but it will be a wearing down process as the laps tick by. Riders may well find that if its windy the pressure points will be elsewhere on the circuit. In Multifarnham a few years back the main pressure point was the main road which was dead flat !

So does this course favour Sam Bennett more or Nico Roche

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Surely Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Sounds like you be better putting it into the small ring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Bambaata wrote: »
    Surely Sam

Roche 7/4, Sam 3/1, Dunbar 9/1, Brammeier 11/1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

marvin80 wrote: »
    Roche 7/4, Sam 3/1, Dunbar 9/1, Brammeier 11/1

What are the e/w placings, top 3 or 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,783 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

CramCycle wrote: »
    What are the e/w placings, top 3 or 4?

Usually top three but I don't think Paddy Power are going ew at all on this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

I saw both Sam and Eddie out doing recce laps of the course this morning.

It's a bit of a shock to see one of the world's top sprinters dicing with death in awful traffic in Ferrybank.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

perrier wrote: »

It's a bit of a shock to see one of the world's top sprinters dicing with death in awful traffic in Ferrybank.

I thought Sam declared himself out of the race during the week cos his bike was damaged by the airline he flew with.

Did you happen to notice what kind of bike he was on?

It looked like his normal bike.

Surely there must be a bike in Ireland he can win on ?

perrier wrote: »

Kinda awful too if the U23 Tour of Flanders champion was in danger

MPFGLB wrote:
    Kinda awful too if the U23 Tour of Flanders champion was in danger

Eddie seemed to be lost at one stage as he appeared to take a left off the route as it exits the town but reappeared back unto the road after a few secs.

The traffic management appeared to go slightly askew as today's races got onto their following laps. Cars that were stuck in traffic were doing u-turns out into the riders as the group's split up and there were some near misses and frustrated riders especially in Ferrybank when the pace pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Seen sam myself today he went by me so fast on one of the hills very cool to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

1bryan wrote: »
    I thought Sam declared himself out of the race during the week cos his bike was damaged by the airline he flew with.

Did you happen to notice what kind of bike he was on?

Hs never declared himself out, said he had 2 bikes, his main one and a training one, and that he was now going to have to get the latter set up, and race on it instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

cython wrote: »
    Hs never declared himself out, said he had 2 bikes, his main one and a training one, and that he was now going to have to get the latter set up, and race on it instead.

he tweeted something along the lines of 'No nationals for me'. The tweet has been deleted since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Surely there must be a bike in Ireland he can win on ?
    Does he use a compact? I could lend him my winter bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

If he's stuck he can borrow my Vitus. The group set rhymes with Bora.

On second thoughts, maybe not.

What does he normally ride? It's S-Works Venge ViAS isn't it? Only 11500 for standard model. If I had one I'd ride it with bubble wrap on it :D

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-works/sworks-venge-vias-disc-etap/118691

First lap just passed me by, Sam Bennett and Ryan Mullen just off the front over the top of the climb. Nico at the front of the peloton. Feels like there's been quite a few falls and such already. Bit showery but nice for spectators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

https://twitter.com/eddie_km/status/878923614439043072

Working from the phone Bennett away

Lap three gone over the hill, nothing major to report. Nico, Sam and Ryan all around the front of the main bunch, think Conor Dunne is around there too. Local boy Ben Delaney is one group back, hanging in there. Alexis Roche in the next group behind that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

Lap four over the hill and there's two groups gone off the main bunch. Group of three out front, didn't recognise them. 25 seconds back to the next group which has Sam Bennett. Then 20 seconds back to the main bunch lead by Mullen and Roche. Quite broken up now.

• Advertisement

Sam Bennett attached.

Advertisement