Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Championship 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭dewindygap

Superb updates. Thank you all very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Looked like a great race ..pity we couldn't see it or even highlights

Congratulations to Ryan Mullen ...double champion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Who was 2nd?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Raymzor

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Who was 2nd?

Mcglinchy 2nd, Dunne 3rd

• Advertisement

Magnificent result for McGlinchy.

Thank you all for updates.

Great race from this Chris mcglinchey...one to watch

Ryan Mullen not towing the line in interview

Said he felt like abandoning race after a few laps as racing very negative and same guys made it negative (who ??)

Also not too impressed with the roads

You'd swear he had lost

https://twitter.com/IreCyclingFed/status/878986784495071232

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Ah well shur he can get rid of some of that hideous kit for a year!

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Really enjoyable race, well done to Ryan and Lydia and all the other competitors today. Looked hard as feck.

Won't be attending a race without a packed lunch again though :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Really enjoyable race, well done to Ryan and Lydia and all the other competitors today. Looked hard as feck.

Won't be attending a race without a packed lunch again though :eek:

Preach on. I was in the same spot as you for about half the race but I had cycled up so at least I was able to roll off to a garage and get a bit of junk food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

The roads were pretty bad in places for sure. But this is the Irish championships... you want to be champion here then you better be able to soak up a few potholes.

Tight course in places although the main climb on it had the best surface of the day so that probably took a little sting out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Brutal course! I'd love to have seen the leaders last time up the corkscrew hill! I'd have nearly walked up faster than I cycled it! First lap was pretty hairy with the rain but fine after

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Steve Cummings does the double in the UK, rode across alone to the break of the day and then on the final lap rode away from the 4 other lads left in the break to win solo. These being his first 2 competitive outings, winning both the UK TT and UK RR, on the bike after his very damaging crash earlier in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Looked like a great race ..pity we couldn't see it or even highlights

Congratulations to Ryan Mullen ...double champion
    19400099_10159026853450604_2678243998348411577_n.jpg?oh=bd63fae8f6e86deddc4498a8f4b13707&oe=59D84154

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

@MPFLGB - What do you mean by not towing the line in the interview?

buffalo wrote: »

Thanks for sharing.

I saw one of Nico , and for a second I was thinking who's that BMC rider. I'm so used to seeing him in white this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I was cheering and taking pictures on the main climb and then at the finish line for the last two laps. Great racing and really nice to see aggressive riding from many riders - I'm not sure what Ryan Mullen was indicating as 'negative' but he must have some grounds for complaint if he was so readily vocal about it.
    What happened to Sam Bennett in the final 1 1/2 laps ? He went from the lead group to coming in 4 minutes down..........did he just blow on the final lap?

420748.jpg

EDIT: I see a later clarification from Mullen was that the amateur riders were closing everything down and expecting to be dragged to the line by the pros.....

Some pics from the days here : https://www.flickr.com/photos/27pines/albums/72157682661576843

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Are the full results of the women's race anywhere?

I can see all of the mens results on stickybottle but not the womens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    I was cheering and taking pictures on the main climb and then at the finish line for the last two laps. Great racing and really nice to see aggressive riding from many riders - I'm not sure what Ryan Mullen was indicating as 'negative' but he must have some grounds for complaint if he was so readily vocal about it.
    What happened to Sam Bennett in the final 1 1/2 laps ? He went from the lead group to coming in 4 minutes down..........did he just blow on the final lap?

[IG]https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/361167/420748.jpg[/IMG]

I think he put in too much effort to close gaps in the early-middle portions of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

buffalo wrote:
    Some photos from today in Wexford:

Cheers is there any from the vets races on Saturday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Would be great if the National Broadcaster got on board to at the very least do a highlights package of all the races. Tubs and Darcy eating up too much budget and Ryle can't even afford to send himself to all of the best Rugby games anymore however

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Some performance from the young lad to get the double. Quick question though, how does he qualify as Irish? Couldn't find anything online in my brief search.

Edit: nevermind, found his dad was Irish. (was just curious is all, wasn't questioning his eligibility)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Cheers is there any from the vets races on Saturday

Sorry, was only in town today from about 11.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Magnificent result for McGlinchy.

That's the standout performance for me!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    I see a later clarification from Mullen was that the amateur riders were closing everything down and expecting to be dragged to the line by the pros.....

I am not sure what he expected in a national champs, most of the riders who go out, know they have no hope. That is pretty much my tactic in every race I am in (A4 and struggling). I can't win a race, so I just annoy the crap out of everyone by closing down breaks if I can, I either drag them back, catch and they drag me away or I blow up in no mans land.

Great win for him but he cannot be too annoyed by it or surprised, if I was A1 or A2, that is all I would do, pick out a wheel and make an aim of hanging on for the as long as possible.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    @MPFLGB - What do you mean by not towing the line in the interview?

He only said negative things in that interview ...not the usual nice platitudes that riders say

On reflection I dont know what his problem is with how others ride ...surely it is up to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

MPFGLB wrote: »
    He only said negative things in that interview ...not the usual nice platitudes that riders say

On reflection I dont know what his problem is with how others ride ...surely it is up to them...

It's a poor victors interview. IMO his tone and demeaneor belittles the event, like he is above it in some way. The roads are bad in Paris Roubaix and loads of riders crash, but that's the nature of the course. Nobody complains about –they all want to win it!

• Advertisement

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    It's a poor victors interview. IMO his tone and demeaneor belittles the event, like he is above it in some way. The roads are bad in Paris Roubaix and loads of riders crash, but that's the nature of the course. Nobody complains about –they all want to win it!

The female interviewer was taken aback by him and then Shane Stokes later in another interview on Sticky bottle

Surely if you win you should be over the moon

Its not like has has to put up with what Sagan puts up with and everyone riding against him.....yet Sagan remains philosophical and good humored

Advertisement