Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building repair

Options
  • 04-04-2017 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

A small leak was discovered in a recent inspection in the flat roof of my front porch.Upon further investigation it turned out that the whole roof needs to be replaced (it's only the flat roof over the porch, not the main house). Those works have commenced but builder has now dumped the debris of the roof inside my yard. It would be my understanding the the removal of building debris is the builders responsibility and should be included in the quote to the property owner? Or am I mistaken?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Personally I'd expect the builder to remove the rubble but really it's something he would/should have agreed with the landlord.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

If your renting get back on to the LL. He who makes the mess should clear the mess! Unless agreed otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

If it's not stated in the quote then not much you can do. But, they absolutely should clean up after themselves. I really hate when they leave crap everywhere.

If it were me I'd just contact builder and ask when he will be removing the debris.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I would expect this to be included as a line item somewhere in the quote. It could be an inventive builder trying to get a little extra by following the Ryanair business model. Probably best to ask before you've paid him.

Assuming you have a decent builder who is planning on toidying up behind himself - Very often, the builder will leave everything in a pile, and only get in a skip to take the debris away towards the end of the job. That way, they
    a) have a better idea of how much rubble there is, and
    b) don't have to worry about everyone in the neighbourhood dumping their stuff in the skip and filling it halfway through the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

OP said in the first post that work has commenced,as in,is ongoing at the moment.
    So surely you could ask him while he's there on site.

I'd expect him to finish doing the roofing first before he does a complete clean up, seems like a small enough job so he'll probably won't get a skip, but throw everything onto a truck or trailer when he's finished.

• Advertisement
Advertisement