Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a field

Options
  • 04-04-2017 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello,

If I want to rent a field in Kerry (suitable for up to 4 donkeys, roughly 4 acres), what would this approx. cost me?

Hope someone replies :)

Thanks,
    Jessica
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Jess83 wrote: »
    Hello,

If I want to rent a field in Kerry (suitable for up to 4 donkeys, roughly 4 acres), what would this approx. cost me?

Hope someone replies :)

Thanks,
    Jessica

What part of Kerry are you in, are these rescue donkeys you could set up a charity and make millions

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭The part time boy

Really depends on a lot of things.

I say the biggest challenge will be to find some where to take

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jess83

Thank you for your reactions. I see now that I said 4 acres, but that was meant to be 2!

I think we should be able to rent a field nearby our home. Don't want to ask around too much though, as we want to be sure first.

It will need to be a field with good grass and not too much other stuff growing in it - so basically the same field as for cows. Doesn't have to be level, and needs to have a good fence or similar around it to prevent escape. Also, we need to build a shelter in it with concrete flooring.

If it good land it could be between 200 to 300 per acre .

However if you want to build something on it I think you have even a harder time to find somewhere .

Best of luck though

Thanks! And would that be per year/month/quarter?

• Advertisement

That be a yearly fee. Some people ask for all up front or half up front and half in Aug .

Thanks so much! Very helpful, your reply :) At least we have an idea now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,544 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Surely donkeys don't need the very best of land ??

Ask a local auctioneer and see if they know of a local plot going to rent.
    I'd have thought ) €150/175 annually per acre with no entitlements.

Also OP most annual lets are for 11 months, what do you do for month 12.

You could loook for a long term lease, 5 or even 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 diarmuidb24

You don't need good quality land for donkeys bud. We have two ourselves, have them in a field that's badly covered in rushes. They only need small amounts to eat so strip feed them and make sure they have some dry ground to stand on. They do a great job in cleaning up the land by the way! There's no point you paying a load of money for good quality ground cause you won't need it, and two that'll be very hard to come across. So again, look for neglected land, strip feed and treat them to carrots/apples/ginger nuts :)

Thanks for the tips Diarmuid! Must be great to have them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 diarmuidb24

your more than welcome:) They are such lovely animals, so placid and affectionate! We bring them in every night to the stables and come 6 clock every morning they are neighing to get out, and at 7 every evening they do the same to come in! Not to mention every time they see us coming to/from the house they start roaring!

Advertisement