Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tractors on the Motorway to Waterford

Options
  • 04-04-2017 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with tractors on the Motorway between Waterford and Kilkenny. I have been commuting to Waterford recently and I see tractors on the trip very frequently, I actually saw two this morning.

I have done lots of driving on other motorways around the country and have very rarely seen tractors.Is this illegal, none of them I have seen are 100k models that can go 60km per hour. There has been two serious accidents one that was fatal on this stretch of road involving tractors in the last year and its easy to seen how you could come up fast behind those guys especially when they are pulling trailers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

50k gearbox lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

imacman wrote: »
    Whats the story with tractors on the Motorway between Waterford and Kilkenny. I have been commuting to Waterford recently and I see tractors on the trip very frequently, I actually saw two this morning.

I have done lots of driving on other motorways around the country and have very rarely seen tractors.Is this illegal, none of them I have seen are 100k models that can go 60km per hour. There has been two serious accidents one that was fatal on this stretch of road involving tractors in the last year and its easy to seen how you could come up fast behind those guys especially when they are pulling trailers.

Cuts through some of the finest land in the country so that's why so many, plus the old N9/10 route is not even appealing for tractors...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Think this will answer your question

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/its-legal-to-drive-a-tractor-and-trailer-on-the-motorway-but-theres-a-catch/
    If you are driving your tractor on the motorway and towing a trailer, the trailer must be capable by design of being drawn at a speed of 50km/h or higher, the Road Safety Authority (RSA) has confirmed.

Tractors can be driven on the motorway in the Republic of Ireland, providing that the tractor is capable of reaching a minimum speed of 50km/h.

However, if you’re towing a trailer you must drive at the right speed and the maximum legal speed limit for a vehicle towing a trailer is 80km/h.

The RSA advises all road users to ensure your load is evenly distributed to reduce the chance of the trailer swaying, especially in high winds or when large vehicles overtake you.

Furthermore, you’re not allowed use the outside lane of the motorway if you’re towing a trailer or a horsebox.

So, its legal provided they can meet the min speed. But personally I think they are better to stay on the old N9 road, its not a very busy road at all these days and is far more suited and less likely to cause an accident then driving on a motorway.

Certainly there are issues with other traffic suddenly coming up on a slower moving tractor, but the issue here would be the other driver not driving with due care and attention if they drove into a tractor doing say 70km/hour.

Remember that this is the type of sign you see when entering a motorway, so you could just as easily meet a slower moving car doing 70km/hour and again it would be perfectly legal for the car to drive at this speed,

m2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

There was a crash on the M9 south a while back involving a tractor I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I sometimes use this route to commute too and there are a lot of tractors between the Stoneyford and mullinavat exits. There was a fatal accident involving a tractor on the M9 a few years ago.
    I did come across a tractor doing approximately 40km/h before and rang the cops. They don't enforce a minimum speed limit for tractors on motorways. The tractor must be capable of doing 50km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DickoHara

See what people mean coming from Dublin last night tractor he had a long trailer looked like a low loader no sign of lights or markings on the trailer only a big light that would blind you on the tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

I passed two tractors this morning , neither going faster than 50K . One was pulling a full size trailer and was creeping along.Again between Stoneyford and mullinavat exits

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

imacman wrote: »
    I passed two tractors this morning , neither going faster than 50K . One was pulling a full size trailer and was creeping along.Again between Stoneyford and mullinavat exits

Once the tractor can drive 50km they can go on the motorway no law saying they have to drive at that speed on the motorway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Agree with Sam, once they are legally fit for 50 they are ok to be on the motorway.

However lads with non marked trailers/equipment out on the roads should have the full rigor of the law thrown at them, personally I think it's a dangerous driving offence to be on the public roads with no rear lights operating.

As for quickly coming up behind slower vehicles, well it's every drivers responsibility to drive appropriately and anticipate potential dangers rather than get onto the motorway stick on cruise control and essentially have a snooze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DickoHara

_Brian wrote: »
    Agree with Sam, once they are legally fit for 50 they are ok to be on the motorway.

However lads with non marked trailers/equipment out on the roads should have the full rigor of the law thrown at them, personally I think it's a dangerous driving offence to be on the public roads with no rear lights operating.

As for quickly coming up behind slower vehicles, well it's every drivers responsibility to drive appropriately and anticipate potential dangers rather than get onto the motorway stick on cruise control and essentially have a snooze.
    Accidents happen when you have idiots like that fellow has no respect for the road user breaking the law.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Tractors on the Motorway to Waterford Muck Savages.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Once the tractor can drive 50km they can go on the motorway no law saying they have to drive at that speed on the motorway ;)

Yes I think there problem with the law.Driving slowly on a motorway is dangerous and should be illegal not matter what kind of vehicle you are in . The autobahn in Germany has a minimum spreed limit of 50km which makes a lot of sense

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

DickoHara wrote: »
    Accidents happen when you have idiots like that fellow has no respect for the road user breaking the law.

Idiots cause accidents because they poke out at you and are only thinking about what they want to do, not how they are meant to do it.

If you see something getting closer to you, slow down, or if safe to do so over take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Tractors should use the old road, there is very little traffic on it now, perfectly suitable for slow moving machines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

hi5 wrote: »
    Tractors should use the old road, there is very little traffic on it now, perfectly suitable for slow moving machines.
    :( Say that to them Rude Tractors drivers on the Motorway there just pure Muck Savages in my Opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Tutsy Barry

The county council should build a designated tractors only road all the way from Kilkenny to Waterford and stop this nonsense. the money would be well used instead of lining the guts and pockets of our politicians.

Who thinks I'm right, I will propose it on KCLR

Advertisement