Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ed grips oxford/cig power adapter

• 04-04-2017 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Hi I got a motorcycle dealer to fit a set of oxford grips and a cig adaptor.
    I forgot to mention while at the shop to ensure that the feed comes from the fuse box to ensure that when the bike is switched off the cig adaptor and grips are off and not drawing power. The young chap said don't worry it will be done properly.

on collecting the bike today both the heated grips and the cig adaptor were wired to the battery.

When ignition is off both these are on. The owner when I said this to him said he had to comply with the manufacturer instructions and items were wired as per instructions.

I will have to get a switch put on the cig usb to switch it off ...anybody passing ....who just presses the switch which is in clear view could leave me stranded with a dead battery in the middle of nowhere
    and I don't know how I am going to get the control switch for the grips to turn off when bike is off.

What do people think of the way the job was done? Its neat etc I am unhappy at the electrical set up. thks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

splice it into the rear brake light,simples.

or put in a small switch like this under the seat or near the dash.

DSCN4371_zpsdgvfnzhd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

not competent ....just wondered is this standard fitting practice by mechanics.....cig lighter not being able to switch it off is going to flatten the battery over a few days if bike is not been used ..thks for reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The guy is a complete pleb and a waffler.

Utter horse the waffle about manufacturer .

He should have fitted a fused relay as you requested which is activated from ignition.

He was lying to you because he didn't bother doing what was asked and charged you the same price i presume.

In fairness he has been ok to me on other things ...But I need to get on line kill switches now so that 1 some clown doesn't play around with the handgrip control when I park bike and 2 to stop power being drawn to a double cig usb port . ..it never even dawned on me that he would return the bike with grips and usb cig ....That wouldn't switch off ....It's more money out and hassle that I shouldn't have ..The bike was back as I only bought it two months ago and I found oil coming out of the front forks the other day....That was bad enough ...No paperwork either to say what was done ..You just take his word for it. Live and learn I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Fork oil leaking may or may not be dirt caught in the seal.
    No harm checking before paying for replacement of fork seals.

• Advertisement

He covered the seals ..Under the 3 month gaurante ...So I wanted to say thks by getting something done ....To thks him for doing the seals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Thank him? You pay for the warranty on a dealer bike whether you ever get any work done or not. Nothing comes for free.

Scrap the cap!

He didn't know ...From googling I discovered that the intelligence ontrol switched off the grips automatically when it detects bike is switched off after 3 mins ...Would have been nice to know ...Dealer obviously doesn't ...I'm happy there now ..Re the cig adapter drawing power all the time ...Can anyone recommend a neat switch that I can connect into the live wire under it ....Something very small and neat ...thks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I have these on a couple of bikes with a few years and have had no problems with them.
    As neat as you'll get probably.
    Postage on some items from China is very slow at the moment.
    I think i got my ones on eBay though.

10Pcs 16mm Diameter Small Round Boat Rocker Switches Black Mini Round Black 2 Pin ON-OFF Rocker Switch
    http://s.aliexpress.com/nqaQVZbU

Edit: Found them on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122174222958

of3a5s.jpg

3482a28.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

blade1 wrote: »
    Postage on some items from China is very slow at the moment.

Off topic but glad I'm not the only one!

• Advertisement
Advertisement