Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Britain to go to war with Spain over Gibraltar ?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

gallag wrote: »
    I hear ya but I don't believe it would be in Spain's best interest to try and destroy a British territory's tourist industry, what with how reliant the Spanish economy is on British tourists! I would say 1% of British tourists picking gib instead of the mainland would compensate gib. Basically what I am saying is spain probably doesn't want to play a game of let's destroy each other's tourist industry with their no1 tourists, Even the oaps spending their pensions paid in pounds in a boon for the Spanish! All we get is unemployed Spanish youth lol

These are fair points, however, I doubt the average British persons resolve to boycott the Costas on the basis of an increase in toll charges in a region that voted 97% to stay in Europe.

Andalucian unemployment is also not a fixed factor, if that should change, as employment levels do, then there's effectively no downside or deterrent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

greencap wrote: »
    These are fair points, however, I doubt the average British persons resolve to boycott the Costas on the basis of an increase in toll charges in a region that voted 97% to stay in Europe.

Andalucian unemployment is also not a fixed factor, if that should change, as employment levels do, then there's effectively no downside or deterrent.

Fair points yourself and they are undoubtedly true but the stereotype of the jingoistic, flag waving, nationalistic Brits can be close enough to true, though I believe like most countries citizens. All I am saying is spain won't start playing sillybuggers with a game where they have most chips on the table to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

gallag wrote: »
    Fair points yourself and they are undoubtedly true but the stereotype of the jingoistic, flag waving, nationalistic Brits can be close enough to true, though I believe like most countries citizens. All I am saying is spain won't start playing sillybuggers with a game where they have most chips on the table to lose.

People aren't saying the Brits will be jingoistic. It will be the Spanish who are nationalistic. Just try asking a Spanish person about Catalan independence and see what happens.

The thing is the Spanish already made it difficult for Gibraltar. Spain's entry into the EU sort of put a lid on things. The Spanish made some compromises like an open border with the rock when they joined the single market. That's why the people of Gibraltar essentially voted remain. The EU was actually a form of protection for them. Now it's gone the Spanish can and will make things difficult. Even with EU protection the Spanish made things difficult in terms of traffic into borders ect.

Personally I think it's untenable to have a British island so close to mainland Spain. Some commentators in the UK media made an excellent point.

"Spanish people feel about Gibraltar how English people would feel about the Isle of Wight if it was owned by the Spanish and patrolled by their navy". It would be an untenable situation no matter how the locals felt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

steddyeddy wrote: »
    "Spanish people feel about Gibraltar how English people would feel about the Isle of Wight if it was owned by the Spanish and patrolled by their navy". It would be an untenable situation no matter how the locals felt.

Or perhaps Spanish people feel about Gibraltar how Moroccans feel about Ceuta and Mellila, Spain's colonies on the Moroccan coast of Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Or perhaps Spanish people feel about Gibraltar how Moroccans feel about Ceuta and Mellila, Spain's colonies on the Moroccan coast of Africa.

True. I don't believe in colonies in this day and age. A backward concept IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

gizmo555 wrote: »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Sahara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Victor wrote: »

Two (or even three!) wrongs don't make a right ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Victor wrote: »

Its like colonial version of Inception. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its like colonial version of Inception. :pac:

Polisario Front (generally recognised representatives of Western Sahara) are based in Algeria. :pac:

Advertisement