Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big green egg.

Options
  • 04-04-2017 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys I'm looking at buying one of these at the weekend. The large is only a 100 euro dearer so does it make sense to go for the large. I was quoted 1100 for a large one on it's own. An extra 300 if I want the base with wheels. 300 extra seems mad when I will not be moving it much. How have people here set up there's. Are there cheaper stands for it.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Crawn

I've been dreaming a long time about purchasing a 'Big Green Egg'.... through hours of surfing/research I've found that they are alternatives to the BGE. The generic name for these cookers is 'Kamado Grills'. They are several manufacturers of these grills(BGE, Monolith, Komodo Kamado, Grill Dome), one manufacturer that offers great value, IMHO, is 'Kamado Joe'.

The Kamado Joe Classic, is an 18 inch grill, and it's sold with all the kit you need to get started...none of this nonsense of having to buy extras, such as the nest with wheels, ash tool etc. etc. A friend of mine purchased one(albeit in the UK, as he is a frequent visitor across the pond) and it's an impressive bit of kit. Two places in the ROI seem to sell them, links below and I believe, there are a few sellers in Norn Iron.

https://www.outdoor.ie/product/kamado-joe-classic-bbq/

http://oldmcdonald.ie/farmhouse-kitchen/out-door-cooking-equipment/kamado-joe-classic-18.html

Just something to consider. If your not fussed about having wheels on your BGE & feel confident in DIY, I've seen plans & videos online for building tables... If your going BGE, they are a couple of accessories that are considered essential, the place setter, grid lifter and maybe a pizza stone....on such a big purchase they're might be room to strike a deal on these!

Anyways, best of luck with your future purchase!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Small Kamodo stuff here too:
    https://www.vidaxl.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=smoker

The biggest has a grill diameter of 33cm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Cheers lads. I just can't really justify another 300 euro for wheels. It seems crazy. I kinda have my heart set on an egg after doing a lot of research on it. I think they are worth the extra few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bobboberson

I've been looking at getting one for awhile too, I am planning on getting the egg first and try and build a table.

For the price I think it's better to get the large.

It meant be worth looking at the shop the sales them in the North they are coming in about €300 cheaper including delivery to Dublin

Anthony

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I've been looking at getting one for awhile too, I am planning on getting the egg first and try and build a table.

For the price I think it's better to get the large.

It meant be worth looking at the shop the sales them in the North they are coming in about €300 cheaper including delivery to Dublin

Anthony

I am down in Clare which shop is this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bobboberson

niallo27 wrote: »
    I am down in Clare which shop is this.

Not sure if I can post the name but if you Google big green egg northern Ireland they should be the only shop that comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

A Room Outside in Limerick are excellent. Call them and talk to them on phone about options and pricing as I found them very competitive and very pleasant to deal with. They threw in free shipping and a few bags of charcoal with my order.

https://aroomoutside.ie/product/large-big-green-egg-in-a-nest-with-a-handler/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

My dad has 3 eggs, 2 big ones and a medium one, I have a small one which he gave me!!
    The food that comes off them is amazing!! I would say go for it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aber77

Hi niallo27, wondering if u went ahead with buying a big green egg and if so are you happy with it? I'm thinking of getting one.

Advertisement