Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Bike For short steep journey

Options
  • 04-04-2017 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Hi Looking for recommendation Electric Bike For short steep journey

Will be used by my brother is finding his mountain bike too heavy to cycle / push up Howth Head

Background
    Brother works as a a gardener
    for work : cycles from Raheny to Howth Summit
    Distance of 10km,
    last 3km finding too steep ( not the fittest)
    Currently has panniers to carry garden tools incl hedge cutter , etc, which are heavy

Would he be be better off going for an electric bike, (bike must be able to accommodate heavy panniers) and be durable

or a retro fitted motor /battery system

He would prefer not to spend too much, open to 2nd hand, assuming battery is still good

But can use the bike to work scheme

He has a three pin socket in secure garage for overnight charging

I can imagine fixing a flat is not easy on elec bike, so perhaps something that will take puncture resistant tyres similar to these
    SCHWALBE MARATHON PLUS

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

An ex colleague used to get his e bikes from http://www.greenaer.ie/. I think on both occasions 2nd hand. Very pricy though but they provide good service (I used them for other bits)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It might be a lot easier to alter the gearing ratios on his current bike than spending a lot on an electric bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

God, there'd be great advertising potential on an electric cargo bike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Go look at the Everesting Ticknock thread and speak to Alex about his 34/36 combo. Should get up any hills. Or try a triple maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Your buddy should just buy a conversion kit, something like this: LINK will be much cheaper than a full e-bike which are quite expensive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Your buddy should just buy a conversion kit, something like this: LINK will be much cheaper than a full e-bike which are quite expensive!

The last thing you want for hill climbing is a front wheel engine.
    No gearing on it and mostly suited for flat countries.
    A mid-engine is superior to front or rear engines.

If you want to go the DYI route a Bafang kit is the way to go.
    For complete eBikes Greenaer are the experts in Dublin, prices for new bikes start around €2000. Most bike manufacturers will use Bosch or Yamaha engines, both are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

V-man wrote: »
    If you want to go the DYI route a Bafang kit is the way to go.

Yea looks good, €1300 so may as well go for a new bike..

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Yea looks good, €1300 so may as well go for a new bike..

Agree,
    Especially the Batteries are far from cheap.
    Add the price of good bike components and the steep price of a decent eBike can be explained. I commute on my eBike, 15K in 2 years through all seasons (thanks to the Schwalbe Marathon Plus without a single flat tire) and loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

sounds like my ideal commute :pac:

*without the garden tools bit!

Advertisement