Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No hot water - should I get a rent decrease

Options
  • 04-04-2017 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I've been without hot water for the past 24 days. The immersion isn't working and the electric shower has developed a fault and can't be used. So out of 2 showers I can use neither. My landlord now says he has someone booked in to fix the immersion this week. I haven't had any extra costs, as there are showers at work, it's just been very inconveniencing, especially at the weekends when I don't have access to an alternative shower, and also for shaving, washing dishes, etc. My question is, given I've been without hot water for the best part of a month, should I be asking for a decrease in rent for this month and how much of a decrease? Would 10% be acceptable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Biffoland wrote: »
    I've been without hot water for the past 24 days. The immersion isn't working and the electric shower has developed a fault and can't be used. So out of 2 showers I can use neither. My landlord now says he has someone booked in to fix the immersion this week. I haven't had any extra costs, as there are showers at work, it's just been very inconveniencing, especially at the weekends when I don't have access to an alternative shower, and also for shaving, washing dishes, etc. My question is, given I've been without hot water for the best part of a month, should I be asking for a decrease in rent for this month and how much of a decrease? Would 10% be acceptable?

And if you owned the house and you had to wait for a tradesman to call around are you gonna be reimbursed??
    He is on the ball and said he's getting someone out asap so the landlord is doing their best.

If I had a tenant like that I'd give them theirs months notice more like it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

And if you owned the house and you had to wait for a tradesman to call around are you gonna be reimbursed??
    He is on the ball and said he's getting someone out asap so the landlord is doing their best.

The OP said 24 days not 24 hours. I hardly call that on the ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I'm assuming the immersion and electric shower didn't both break at the same time. Why wasn't the first one fixed when it broke?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

It doesn't take a month for the shower to be fixed. Shower here broke and landlord was out the next day with someone to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Biffoland

I'm assuming the immersion and electric shower didn't both break at the same time. Why wasn't the first one fixed when it broke?

I live alone, so only one shower is in regular use. When I went to use the electric shower the water wouldn't heat up. It hadn't shown any issues before this

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

You'd give you tenant his notice for requesting hot water?

Well if I did own the house I'd have this sorted within a couple of days at the most. I regard hot water as a fairly basic utility in a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

Id agree with the op. I think a discount is fair. Best part of a month is a bit Irish. It can hardly take that long to get someone to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I live alone, so only one shower is in regular use. When I went to use the electric shower the water wouldn't heat up. It hadn't shown any issues before this

OK, in relation to your original question, you aren't entitled to a rent decrease. You can ask, but the landlord isn't obligated to do so. They are obligated to fix issues but there are no legal time limits to do so. The advice for urgent repairs (such as hot water) is within several days, but you should notify the landlord and request it be fixed at the earliest possible time.

If the time is exceeded then you should contact the landlord again, informing them you will have to get your own plumber to fix the issue and you will look to be reimbursed for the cost of the work (do not dock from the rent due).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP how long has the LL known neither shower work ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

And if you owned the house and you had to wait for a tradesman to call around are you gonna be reimbursed?? He is on the ball and said he's getting someone out asap so the landlord is doing their best.

In fairness if Op owned the house the problem could be sorted. I own a shower repair company and you'll never wait longer than 48 hours.

I contacted the landlord on day 1.

That's very poor form by the landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, I'd ask if I were you . 24 days = 3+ weeks is a LONG time for that sort of inconvenience.

You might not get 10%. But you might even be able to negotiate something else instead of a discount - eg is there some piece of furniture you'd like replaced?

PS fwiw, my tenants recently had a total power outage because a the immersion element burnt out. That got an electrician visit that day to sort the problem (because my property manager has a 24x7 contract with an electrical firm), and the house got an extra circuit breaker so that if it burns out again it doesn't take the whole house with it. Before tax-cost to me approx E300. Totally worth it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Suggest to landlord that you will get someone in to deal with problems. And ask for his home address for bill to be sent to. Or suggest you keep receipt for him and the amount can be taken off next rent bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Your landlord should be open to a discount on the months rent for the inconvenience. 24 days without hot water is far from pleasant and completely unacceptable. You are lucky that you have showers at work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

All complaints should be in writing. Notify that landlord you will get it done yourself if it is not sorted out pronto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

OK, in relation to your original question, you aren't entitled to a rent decrease. You can ask, but the landlord isn't obligated to do so. They are obligated to fix issues but there are no legal time limits to do so. The advice for urgent repairs (such as hot water) is within several days, but you should notify the landlord and request it be fixed at the earliest possible time.

If the time is exceeded then you should contact the landlord again, informing them you will have to get your own plumber to fix the issue and you will look to be reimbursed for the cost of the work (do not dock from the rent due).

I believe the legal time limit is "within a reasonable time". Not sure how that is defined but it shouldn't take any more than a few days.

If it drags on much longer, contact the RTB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

If he is not going to compensate for the delay and inconvenience for this urgent repair, Open a dispute with the RTB they'll award in your favour for the inconvenience. He should be aware of his obligations.

gizmo81 wrote: »
    If he is not going to compensate for the delay and inconvenience for this urgent repair, Open a dispute with the RTB they'll award in your favour for the inconvenience. He should be aware of his obligations.

Thats true they Always side with the tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It maybe that the landlord couldn't afford to get a plumber out immediately but was too embarrassed .
    I would think 7 days from telling him to having it fixed is a fair turn around time. ,by the time they get a plumber ,the plumber calls out ,gets the parts,fixes it etc.
    My tenant was with out hot water due to the thermostat going last week ,it took about 4 days for it to be rectified.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If the worst comes to the worst in these situations, repair it yourself by getting three WRITTEN estimates. Get the cheapest and pass the receipt on to the LL. If the LL is unwilling to reimburse you, open a case with the RTB and they will decide who has been reasonable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I'm afraid there should be no sympathy because your landlord perhaps can't afford repairs.

He's a business. If he cannot afford to maintain a property then he shouldn't be a landlord.

Landlords should have to put down a deposit also.
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    It maybe that the landlord couldn't afford to get a plumber out immediately but was too embarrassed .
    I would think 7 days from telling him to having it fixed is a fair turn around time. ,by the time they get a plumber ,the plumber calls out ,gets the parts,fixes it etc.
    My tenant was with out hot water due to the thermostat going last week ,it took about 4 days for it to be rectified.

gizmo81 wrote: »
    I'm afraid there should be no sympathy because your landlord perhaps can't afford repairs.

He's a business. If he cannot afford to maintain a property then he shouldn't be a landlord.

Landlords should have to put down a deposit also.

LL have a few hundred thousand of a deposit down, it's called the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

gizmo81 wrote:

It's not even that but if it was his own home you can be sure he wouldn't let it lie broken for so long.

My had boiler went a few months ago so no heat and no hot water. I sure as hell didn't wait 24 days. Luckily it didn't cost a lot but I had to be prepared to try sort money out if it needed a new boiler.

If it's your own house (that you live in) you do have the option of not paying for a repair until you can afford to. Ok some repairs can't be left such as a leak but some people would be happy to go a month or so without a boiler, cooker until their next pay day or what ever to pay for something. It's obviously not an option for a LL with people living in his property though.

Advertisement