Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IE's New National Train Control Centre

• 04-04-2017 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭

Remember this:
    Development of a replacement Centralised Traffic Control Centre

A Centralised Traffic Control Centre is the nerve centre for management and regulation of train movements on the Iarnród Éireann network. The current real-time customer information provided at station platforms and via social media is based on data collected and issued from the existing Centralised Traffic Control Centre.

Planning for the replacement of the existing Iarnród Éireann Centralised Traffic Control Centre is now necessary due to capacity restraints with the existing facility and the technological age of existing IT systems.

A modern replacement Centralised Traffic Control Centre will integrate signalling and communications control across the entire Iarnród Éireann network, and thereby optimising rail traffic management and origin to destination performance. A significant customer benefit of the new Centralised Traffic Control Centre will be increased train performance and the availability of accurate real-time travel information for trip planning.

Funding for the preparation of a staging strategy and for the design of the new Centralised Traffic Control Centre is being provided by the Irish Government (through the National Transport Authority), with co-financing from the Innovation & Networks Agency of the European Commission.

http://www.irishrail.ie/about-us/centralised-traffic-control-centre

They issued the tender yesterday for it.

I taught the plan was for a new build at Connolly not Heuston? and where abouts in Heuston will it be located?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Where is the current one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

AngryLips wrote: »
    Where is the current one?

Connolly.

Wouldn't it be better to wait a while and see if what size of a centre will be needed after the raft of impending closures?

Connolly has some office space at least. Not sure how much is at Heuston. Is there a need to have it at either? Pretty sure you could put it in an office anywhere and connect into either station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Wouldn't it be better to wait a while and see if what size of a centre will be needed after the raft of impending closures?

Lines marked for closure (Limerick-BB/Waterford) are not and will not be centrally controlled.
    Connolly has some office space at least. Not sure how much is at Heuston. Is there a need to have it at either? Pretty sure you could put it in an office anywhere and connect into either station.

It can be anywhere and it's a new building at Heuston probally does make the most sensce considering it covers the most amount of stations/service where delays are more complicated to handle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Lines marked for closure could well be way more extensive than that when the IE strike commences.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Lines marked for closure could well be way more extensive than that when the IE strike commences.

We are getting ridiculous, yes they may strike but it won't be anything like the BE one.
    Is it not the case that Mini CTC lines are not controlled from Connolly?

AFAIK Athlone controls CTC west of there and WRC while Graystones south controls Rosslare.

Cork/Waterford (W West)/Tralee/Limerick/Athlone/Sligo/N to Border and Dublin Commuter are all at Connolly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,250 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

surely it would be cheeper to control the lot from the new centre now and dispense with the minny ctc altogether? i know the equipment isn't that old but it could probably be sold on.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

All buildings to the East of the station are going, including the current CTC. There's no space in the older station at all for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Was there plans to re_develop the car park in Connolly? Sell it off for office space or something like it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Was there plans to re_develop the car park in Connolly? Sell it off for office space or something like it?

There are, and they're underway. Planning notices are still up at the entrance to the car park.

Everything East of the station is going except the red brick at the carpark entrance.. CTC, RPU, signalling, whatever else is there (not every building has a nice label on it). New street through from Commons Street to Seville Place, apartments/hotels/shops/offices.

That's why this tender has been issued and why there's planning in to more various other stuff to Heuston's car park. I suspect that in time some stuff will be moved *back* to one of the new office blocks in Connolly to allow the same to be done at Heuston; or they'll redevelop the old valeting sheds for it. Planning I've seen is for semi-permanent buildings like the current RPU one - not suitable for more than 20 years really.

CIE, the property development firm with the awkwardness of running some transport :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Del.Monte wrote: »

Connolly.

My Dad used to do a lot of work there any I spent many a day watching the dots go by. As a young kid it was a class place to be. Probably a bit modern compared to when I was last in it maybe 15 years ago

Advertisement