Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Butterfly keyboard on new MacBooks

• 04-04-2017 7:56pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I'm curious to hear how other 12-inch MacBook and Touch Bar MBP users are getting on with the new butterfly keyboard. Reactions to these ranged from mixed to negative at the time, with a lot of people finding the lack of key travel frustrating.

I've had my MacBook about 5 months, and apart from still tapping a bit too hard, I think I've adapted to it pretty well. The old keyboard seems weird to me now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I've used both, but own neither.

I think I prefer the MacBook Pro version, there seems to be slightly more travel and is more clacky which is the style of keyboard I generally prefer. However since I generally use my MacBook Pro with a second display I use a Magic Keyboard so I'd rarely be using the keyboard for serious work.

For my next personal machine it'll be a MacBook, I'd hazard a guess the next revision will have the MacBook Pro 2nd generation butterfly key mechanism for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

Been using mine for about a week (MBP Non-TouchBar) and im finally starting to get used to it.

I've been finding that i keep double tapping certain keys, but its starting to feel more normal.

All in all, I think I like it more that the original chiclet style keys and hopefully they bring this to the Magic Keyboard to replace on my iMac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Don't own a Macbook with the new keys but didn't like them AT ALL any time I have tried them out instore. Much prefer the chiclet keyboard on my MBP.

However as a user, like anything, that continued use would breed familiarity and ultimately acceptance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

When I got the new MBP, the keyboard was a major change. It was just so different in touch and feel to the 2011 model.

Now, I absolutely love it. I have a work laptop and hate the keyboard on it, because of how nice the MBP keyboard is.

Advertisement