Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Scorpio Reveal - Digital Foundry - Thursday 6th April

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Sorry to go off topic but in regards to a monitor, can you hook up a Sky box/Android Box to it?
    Last time I used a monitor was with my desktop and that was 20 years ago. Would a monitor be better than a TV?

just bear in mind that most monitors dont come with their own speakers built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Better than a TV for gaming definitely, probably not for watching movies/TV though. Most monitors these days have a hdmi port so you can hook up just about anything to them.

I wouldn't say its better for gaming. I'd say its better for PC gaming.

For console however I'd only recommend it if someone is limited for space or someone who wants to use their PC and console on the same display. Most monitors have a better refresh rate but gaming modes on 4K TVs keep getting better. My own 4K TV has a 23 ms response time.

You'll get far more bang out of your buck with 4K on a TV with features such as HDR (incredibly expensive on monitors)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Gamasutra has a developer look at the new Scorpio, a nice little article, but not much new in it.

It does have an image of the new devkit, and you can generally get an idea of what the console is going to look like from the devkit.

xbox_dev_kits_group_1.jpg

It does look like a slightly larger Xbox One S to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

So does the VCR go into the bottom part?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Hopefully the retail unit looks nothing like that. That is one ugly device.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Will be a little smaller (height wise) I'd say, but the overall shape would probably be the same.

The LCD, two of the three front USBs and the front buttons almost certainly will be removed for the retail version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

CatInABox wrote: »
    Will be a little smaller (height wise) I'd say, but the overall shape would probably be the same.

The LCD, two of the three front USBs and the front buttons almost certainly will be removed for the retail version.

I think yer man from Digital Foundary saw the actual box and said we will be happy with it.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I spend most of the time looking at the screen so o honestly couldn't give a flip what it looks like. I hope they stick plenty of USB ports on it though, three is nowhere near enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 vrt12

Gamasutra has a developer look at the new Scorpio, a nice little article, but not much new in it.

I wonder will devs bother putting alot of effort into the esram on Xbox one? They say build big and scale down for Scorpio and the one. It could end up being more hassle than its worth having to fiddle around with esram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Luckily the Dev Kit isn't how the retail device will look. Positives that I take from it are that they've fit all the extra guff into the box (second HDD, extra USB Slots, extra NIC, LCD front panel) and it keeps the same footprint as the One S and is smaller than the original One and has an internal power supply.

For the retail unit, the Industrial Design team in MS won't fall into the Betamax trap of yesteryear - it has to look like a 'Premium' console. I like the level of thought that they are putting into it that all the ports are in exactly the same positions on the rear so you can essentially just pull out the cables from your One S, replace the console with your Scorpio and plug the same cables right back in without having to do anything more.

Rich Leadbetter from DF said that he has seen the near final retail design and that we will all be pleasantly surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

I would love if went back to good ol' black and green

vrt12 wrote: »
    I wonder will devs bother putting alot of effort into the esram on Xbox one? They say build big and scale down for Scorpio and the one. It could end up being more hassle than its worth having to fiddle around with esram.

Many devs have already come to grips with the esram having worked on Xbox One for almost 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Many devs have already come to grips with the esram having worked on Xbox One for almost 4 years.

Not to mention the Xbox 360 before that. I would assume they have code to handle it pretty well by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Most monitors have a better refresh rate but gaming modes on 4K TVs keep getting better. My own 4K TV has a 23 ms response time.
    (incredibly expensive on monitors)

As did my first LCD monitor...In 2002....god it was bad :) .
    Yup getting better but still WAY off ideal, people have just been accustomed to the bad response times for so long they think they are okay, until they use something better. I have a PS4 on the TV and an Xbox-one-S here by the PC with a 4ms (tradeoff for IPS) 4k monitor. The latter is definitely better for console gaming too imho.

You do have a very valid point on the HDR side though, I was disappointed when buying my current monitor that there were no HDR/4K models at the time, TVs are way ahead in that dept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Me me me !!!!!

/checks price on a 32'' LG monitor that supports all this

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32UD99-W-4k-uhd-led-monitor

999.99 about what I expected, I won't go any bigger than 27'' for desktop monitor and even at that I'm thinking of going down to a 24'' as I find given the distance to the screen I have to move my head slightly at times to see hud elements in the corners which is not good for the neck.

I have a 27 inch 4k monitor here are work, don't really see any difference swapping between hd and 4k on the console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

It does have an image of the new devkit, and you can generally get an idea of what the console is going to look like from the devkit.

Generally sure, but that yoke is fugly. The S devkits are identical to retail formwise apart from the skin rapped on them but i hope Skorpio does not end up like that. AFAIk the retail unit wont be shown (even internally bar a select few) until e3 so i suspect the devkit doesnt reflect the retail at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 vrt12

Yeah but my point being the development guidelines are build it for a powerful pc and scale it down. Maybe I misunderstand how esram works but it involves more than just scaling the settings down and would be more in depth coding. It was also one of the top request by developers to get rid of it. Without it, they develop one game that applies across all platforms pc, Xbox one, Scorpio, ps4 and ps4 pro.

So, looks like the full reveal will be at E3, as expected.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/852523878752636928

vrt12 wrote: »
    Yeah but my point being the development guidelines are build it for a powerful pc and scale it down. Maybe I misunderstand how esram works but it involves more than just scaling the settings down and would be more in depth coding. It was also one of the top request by developers to get rid of it. Without it, they develop one game that applies across all platforms pc, Xbox one, Scorpio, ps4 and ps4 pro.

Throughout the last few years Xbox have been updating their dev kits to help developers use the Esram more effectively. Hence the small improvements we see every now and then in games.

There will always need to be console specific optimisation which takes time and no doubt studios are well used to the Xbox One platform at this stage.

A Reddit user created a few concept designs of what the Scorpio might look like.

UpINu91l.jpg

FWTJlxDl.jpg

More concepts here

• Advertisement
Advertisement